Old 08-10-2019, 07:58 PM   #1

2019 ePro 14fk Shakedown Trip

We spent a few days in a developed RV park near the Smokys for our shakedown trip. Since we were traveling with our dog, having electricity to run the AC was a must; otherwise we usually dry camp in state and National parks during mild weather.

Dislikes:

1 - The display on the microwave is so bright that it might be visible from space! So having the interior of the camper flooded in bright blue light while trying to sleep was somewhat annoying.

2 – The AC is rather loud. It bothered me enough the first night that I wore earplugs, (just as I do when we overnight in truck stops on our cross country trips). But by the second night I didn’t even notice it. Husband sleeps through anything.

For me, the above two issues aren’t major, because as mentioned, we usually dry camp anyway. But I’ll be putting a piece of black electrical tape over the microwave clock the next time we’re hooked to shore power!

Things that broke:

1 – I discovered one of the clips on the exterior fridge vent was broken, so went to a nearby RV parts place and purchased another + spare for the tool kit.

2 – At the end of our stay my husband pointed out that the lower corner of one of the closet doors was coming apart. So hit that with Gorilla glue once we got home.

3 – The handle on the shower miser came off on the ride out. Fixed that with thread lock once home.

Likes: EVERYTHING ELSE! But some of my favorite features - most of which I realized when we first looked at the camper:

1 – Dog hair resistant fabric on the cushions! It’s so nice to just wipe away dog hair from the seating/bed area, instead of vacuuming/rubber brushing/tape roller.

2 – THICK cushions that are actually comfortable to sleep on.

3 – Auto ignition on everything! No more clicking away on stubborn fridge igniters, no lighting water heater pilots in the wind, and I don’t need matches to light the stove top.

4 – Solar panel with controller, inverter and inverter remote switch for when we dry camp. My husband no longer has to search for a place to use his electric razor, and he gets to enjoy coffee from the mini coffee maker vs. instant. And we should have plenty of juice to run the bathroom fan and LED lights.

5 – Room darkening and easy to clean vinyl privacy shades! Which are especially nice when staying in those previously mentioned brightly lit truck stops. And if you’ve ever had to clean dog nose marks off a WHITE fabric cellular shade, you understand my pain…

6 – Small camper that’s easy to tow, saves us gas money, and is easy for me to keep tidy – which is important to me when camping with a dog for two weeks. If I wanted to feel gritty our entire vacation, I’d go backpacking.

7 – Drawers! This is our first camper with drawers! Two in the kitchen for cooking stuff, and a “dresser” for our socks, etc. And the dresser top is a perfect place to collect our end-of-the-day whatnots, like glasses, wallets, coins, keys, etc.

Stuff I’m ditching or changing: I already had plans for removing the water purifier, so that will go when I get the time. I already put wire shelves in the closet , (which worked out great!). Other than that, we’re ditching the Coleman Grill…. I looked up the reviews on it, and they really stink. So we didn’t even try it out. We put it back in the box and will sell it in a yard sale or something. I’m not sure if we will replace it with anything… For one, I wouldn’t have used it on the camper side shelf anyway. I would have gotten a long enough quick connect hose to move a grill to a safer location. But my other issues are - the added weight, and keeping it clean and securely stored away from bears. We often camp in heavy bear territory, and I’m not interested in a bear ripping off our hatch door to get to a grill that smells like our steaks.

Oldbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:33 AM   #2

Oh, and one more thing for the dislike list....

I find that when I pull up the plunger on the shower faucet, which I always do before turning the water on so as not to waste, that far too much water leaks past it. Doesn't matter if the shower miser is in open or closed position.

Oldbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:28 PM   #3

We put some clips on the front of our microwave with 3m double sided tape and made a curtain that blocks the light from the clock. Before that we would just shut off the breaker for the microwave. I do t think we have used our microwave yet.
Slow1 is offline   Reply With Quote