Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2019, 11:34 AM   #1

2019 Flagstaff 528RKS No Hot Water Tank By pass valves

I am new member, so I hope that I am posting my first question correctly. I have a new 2019 Flagstaff 528RKS fifth wheel. Started my winterizing process this past Monday. Everything was going well until I pulled off the panel to access the valves on the back of the Hot Water Tank. There were no valves anywhere, so I got on the phone with Forest River Tech. After further follow-up with the factory, he informed me that (Talked to the top dogs and they informed me the fifth wheel unit have the bypass built in to the convenience center. Remember to flip the screen filter around to winterize)

Just wondering if anyone else has ran into this, and any thoughts on winterizing without bypassing hot water tank.
Attached Images

rpowers99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:59 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpowers99 View Post
I am new member, so I hope that I am posting my first question correctly. I have a new 2019 Flagstaff 528RKS fifth wheel. Started my winterizing process this past Monday. Everything was going well until I pulled off the panel to access the valves on the back of the Hot Water Tank. There were no valves anywhere, so I got on the phone with Forest River Tech. After further follow-up with the factory, he informed me that (Talked to the top dogs and they informed me the fifth wheel unit have the bypass built in to the convenience center. Remember to flip the screen filter around to winterize)

Just wondering if anyone else has ran into this, and any thoughts on winterizing without bypassing hot water tank.
You don't "winterize without bypassing hot water tank". Use the chart just under the outside shower faucet to set valves to winterize correctly. One of those little colored valve handles bypasses the heater although I can't see well enough to tell you which.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:21 PM   #3

You definitely will want to bypass the hot water heater. Otherwise, it will take you 6 or 10 gallons of extra antifreeze depending upon what size of a heater you have. It will also mean extra flushing trying to get it our there in the spring.
KKonyha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:33 PM   #4
Retired Old Fart

I would also think you need to use compressed air to blow out the lines that are going to be bypassed at that water control panel. Otherwise you have water sitting in some of the lines between that panel and the water heater that could still freeze. I guess it depends on where your low point drains are located and if it effectively drains all the water out of the lines.

This being said, my unit does not have a central panel like this so others may have better advise on what water remains where with these.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:04 PM   #5

As I get it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
I would also think you need to use compressed air to blow out the lines that are going to be bypassed at that water control panel. Otherwise you have water sitting in some of the lines between that panel and the water heater that could still freeze. I guess it depends on where your low point drains are located and if it effectively drains all the water out of the lines.

This being said, my unit does not have a central panel like this so others may have better advise on what water remains where with these.
As I get it, there are bypass valves--there's just more tubing between the valves and the water heater.

Once the bypass valves are set to bypass the heater, the long tubes should drain when the water heater is drained, as long as the valves are higher than the heater openings.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:29 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
As I get it, there are bypass valves--there's just more tubing between the valves and the water heater.

Once the bypass valves are set to bypass the heater, the long tubes should drain when the water heater is drained, as long as the valves are higher than the heater openings.
Correct.

Instead of the bypass valves being behind the water heater, they are simply plumbed in the wet bay for convenience of not having to access the back of the water heater tank.

Still serves the same purpose and I am in agreement with hoping the extra bit of tubing is high enough that any water that remains in them (between the water heater tank and the valves in the wet bay) drains back to the tank and out the tank drain plug hole when opened.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff, hot water, tank, valve, water, water tank