Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2014, 06:22 PM   #1

21 FBRS slide motor mount detaching

I've been hearing some clunking and thudding recently when extending and retracting the slide. I checked it out this afternoon after returning from a few day trip.

Bad news. The motor mount is detaching from the sidewall. It slams up on the bottom of the couch when extended and down on the floor/water pipes when closed. I can only guess that the torque from the motor and slide mechanism has taken its toll. The mount appears to be fixed with lag screws - now stripped. There doesn't appear to be any good way to fix it. I'm going to try to fashion some additional brackets to attach to part of the mount that's perpendicular to the wall.

Anyway, it's something you might want to check. I'm beginning to lose faith in this ultralite construction.
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:40 PM   #2

There have been a number of 2109S Mini Lites (the twin of the 21 FBRS) with this same problem reported in this forum. It happened to me as well. Very poor design. If you are under warranty, the warranty will pay for all or part of the repair.
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:49 PM   #3

I bought the extended warranty, so I'm still covered. What sort of repair job did they do?
Old 08-22-2014, 06:53 PM   #4

I fixed it.

I repaired the damage myself today. It may only be temporary but it's now better than when I bought it.

I removed the motor (4 tek screws and one bolt for the spindle connecting to the slide mechanism). Tek screws are useful in many instances, but a 1 inch tek screw does not get much of a bite. What's more the mount was sent on top of the lip of the slide gasket causing the screw to get even less bite.

I bought four 5/16 X 1 lag screws to replace the 1/4 inch tek screws. I cut a small section from the gasket so the mount would lay flat against the wall. Drilled out the existing holes in the motor mount to 5/16. The whole job took maybe 30 minutes.

My fix probably won't be a permanent solution, but it should get me through the rest of the camping season. When it's time to put away the summer toys, I'll take the mount to a local shop and have the plates that meet the wall enlarged enough to handle four or five lag screws on each side.

two asides:

1. Wow - the sides on this thing are only a little more than an inch thick - and mostly Styrofoam. I doubt that it will last too long.

2. Sent an email to Forest River and received no reply. It's also
interesting that their website gives you a POC for everything in the unit, but none for Forest River. I get the feeling that they'd rather be left alone.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:58 PM   #5

OObuck, I purchased my Mini Lite from RVW so I did not have a local dealer. I found a good dealer that would do the repair, collect the Warranty payment from RVW and since the dealer charges more, they billed me for the difference. The amount they billed me was small and the work was well done so I had no complaints. Plus I formed a good relationship with a dealer for future service.

I don't know exactly what they did but there are bolts there now instead of those small screws. I believe that this is a common enough problem that FR dealers are probably familiar with what repair needs to be done.

This is the only "major" repair that I have encountered. There are always some fix up issues that you can do your self. Now in my third season and I have not had any problems with the main components of the Mini Lite.

Hope all else goes good for you.

Gus
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:57 PM   #6

You need to get some blocking under the motor to keep it from rotating, then strap it down.

Search my post July 27, 2014, and also info posted by lswartz Aug. 06, 2013

In my opinion, it takes both fasters into the wall AND blocking under the motor, with hold-down straps, to solve the problem. I made a metal bracket for mine. I can post pix if it will help.
Henboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henboy View Post
You need to get some blocking under the motor to keep it from rotating, then strap it down.

Search my post July 27, 2014, and also info posted by lswartz Aug. 06, 2013

In my opinion, it takes both fasters into the wall AND blocking under the motor, with hold-down straps, to solve the problem. I made a metal bracket for mine. I can post pix if it will help.
Thanks Henboy! I was thinking that I probably needed some bracing, but couldn't see much in the area that would hold a brace. There's a pretty significant cut-out for water pipes under the motor on my unit. Pictures would be great. I'd appreciate it.

Edit: I saw the picture provided by Iswartz. That should take care of it. Thanks again I appreciate the help!
Old 08-24-2014, 12:53 PM   #8

Here are some pics of the bracket I made.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010539-001.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	61352   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010540.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	406.2 KB
ID:	61353  
Old 08-24-2014, 01:45 PM   #9

Nice Job! That looks like something FR should have done in the first place. Thanks for the picture. I think I'll see if I can get a local shop to make something like that for me. (I can barely sweat a pipe. Welding is beyond my abilities.) thanks again!
Old 09-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #10

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1411755603.684206.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	621.5 KB
ID:	63579
Old 09-28-2014, 11:59 AM   #11

Henboy, do you have a screw going into the floor support closest to the wall also?
Old 09-28-2014, 08:13 PM   #12

Yes. The bracket is an inverted "U" with screw tabs at both ends. Note that the piece I welded to the top is bridged to allow the clamp to pass thru. This raised (1/4") piece also allows the motor case to clear the bracket, as the case is lower than the barrel.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:31 PM   #13

Thanks for the response. It's tough to tell by the pictures exactly what goes on where the clamp passes through. There is another piece welded on that makes contact with the motor case?
Old 09-28-2014, 08:43 PM   #14

Yes, another piece from 1/8" stock, two 1/8 x 1 x 1 spacers each end, bridged in the middle, total 1/4" high.
The motor case is 1/4" lower than the barrel, so the added piece added clearance for the case and provided a place to pass thru the clamp.
The barrel rests on the the piece added to the top of the main bracket.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:15 AM   #15

Welcome to the real world. When you purchase a RV-TT things will go wrong just like buying a home. With a TT a lot depends on just WHO did the product installs on your trailer, new guy/experienced/ hung over... To date FR has stepped up and repaired each of my problems. FR has allowed Camping World to do the repairs and so far I've been happy. With your slide out, let the warranty cover it as that's what you paid for.
Toyota Tundra
SparkeyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henboy View Post
Yes, another piece from 1/8" stock, two 1/8 x 1 x 1 spacers each end, bridged in the middle, total 1/4" high.
The motor case is 1/4" lower than the barrel, so the added piece added clearance for the case and provided a place to pass thru the clamp.
The barrel rests on the the piece added to the top of the main bracket.
By the way, an aluminum floor strut is located right under the motor. You can see it to the left of the cut-out for the water lines going to the other side of the trailer. Nice spot to place the bracket screws.
I used sheet metal screws for the bracket similar to those found on the floor under the couch

Tags
slide, mount