Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2015, 09:06 AM   #1

21FBRS slide

Before we left on first trip, we got the slide in, but it failed to slide out when we got to the camp site. A very helpful person on the forum indicated that the fuse was probably blown, and it was.

I manually cranked the slide out and replaced the fuse saturday morning.

When we packed up to come home, we used the button to slide it in and it came in all the way, and then failed. I suspect the new fuse blew.

Has anyone else had this problem? Obviously the motor is trying to pull more than 30 amps and blowing the fuse, but why? Do i just need to get a new motor?

Thanks for info and thanks for the help. If this should be somewhere else, then let me know.

Joe
january14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:11 AM   #2

Could be the motor, or more typically, the slide is providing too much resistance and challenging the motor. How was cranking by hand? Smooth with a little effort, or jerky with labor?
Old 03-19-2015, 09:30 AM   #3

This was the only time i cranked the slide out, and it was a lot of turning to get it done, but it wasnt like it was hard to crank or had "catches", during the crank. Could be a lot different when cranking it in than out, so i will put it out and then crank it in to see how that feels. Assuming some lubricant could help on the slide, where do i put it and what do i put on it?

Yeah, im a newbie.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:38 AM   #4

Depends if the seals are resisting or the gear track. You can address the seals with a good wipe down to remove dirt accumulation, then treat with 303 Aerospace Protectant, and dust with talc powder. For the tracks, clean with WD-40 and rags, then apply a dry lube.

Also, if you are electrically savvy you can test the motor current draw. Bringing in a slide is the most taxing on the motors.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:12 PM   #5

january14
We have a 21FBRS & have not encountered this problem. We were told by our dealer that when extending or retracting, if you hold switch too long after it is fully out or in, it will probably blow fuse. So we have been very careful to not hold switch when it has reached full in or out. Hope this helps.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:43 PM   #6

Funny. Our dealer told us that we would know when it was fully out or in when we heard clicking. That didn't sound right to us, either.

For the record, the slide came in all the way, and the fuse blew before it started clicking. I knew it was in all the way because i tried to use the tool to tighten it.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:48 PM   #7

Suggest you check out 00Buck post of 8/20/2014 "21 FBRS Slide Motor Mount Detaches" Might be your problem.

The slide motor sometimes comes loose and then is allowed to rotate and bind.

ps: The SEARCH function is your friend!
Henboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henboy View Post
Suggest you check out 00Buck post of 8/20/2014 "21 FBRS Slide Motor Mount Detaches" Might be your problem.

The slide motor sometimes comes loose and then is allowed to rotate and bind.

ps: The SEARCH function is your friend!
Does that cause it to blow the fuse?

Joe
Old 03-20-2015, 12:02 AM   #9

It sheared the bolt in the drive shaft on mine. I suppose if I binds enough it will pop the fuse.

Look under the couch at the motor while someone else operates the slide. Problem might be visable.
Henboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:36 PM   #10

Replace the fuse then have someone lift the skirt under the sofa so you can see the motor and then hit the switch and you'll see the motor jump up and down as you change slide directions. As others have said, if the motor is moving around it'll put a bind on the shaft and pop the fuse.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:34 PM   #11

As it turns out the motor is not moving, well, not much anyway. The problem was the mattress pad we added. It sticks out just far enough that it catches the slide, which added just enough tension the blow the fuse.

That small amount of rotation though does concern me. I tightened up those screw bolts a smidge but was afraid to put hardly any snugging torque.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:39 PM   #12

21 FBRS slide manual retraction

Hi,
I have a 2015 Forest River Micro Lite 21 FBRS and wish to know how to manually retract the slide. I don't believe I have the proper tool. And the owners manual pictures do NOT correspond with my unit. My slide is working, but had blown fuses and I'd like to be prepared!
Thanks
BE
MediaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:48 PM   #13

MediaProf
Manual location is under your couch & I believe it uses the same tool as for the stab. jacks.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:53 PM   #14

The tool is similar to the stabilizer jack tool. My wrench for the slide was black.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:07 PM   #15

Manual Retraction of 21FBRS slide

Thanks,
Maybe I'm making this more difficult than it is, but I see nothing that would fit my Stabilizer Crank. Attached is a pic of what I believe to be the connection I have to mount to retract the slide...if so, I don't have the tool. If not, perhaps I'm just not seeing the connection.
Thanks,
MP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	21fbrsSlideDrive copy.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	316.6 KB
ID:	80898  
MediaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:35 PM   #16

It's not the same tool as the stabilizer tool, I just looks similar. The proper tool has a socket type end with a slot cut through it to engage that pin.

Tags
slide