Old 03-17-2014, 06:03 PM   #11
B@M VOLS

Good points. I knew refer. needed it. I have only used it once while traveling. Didn't know it had to be on for charging while being towed. I will check breakaway, think it goes straight to battery.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by blingo View Post
why does switch need to be on when towing? I always make sure it is off.
It has to be on so your elec brake works

2013 25 nites 2017 19 nites
2014 14 nites
2015 16 nites
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBass View Post
It has to be on so your elec brake works
According to Dexter Axle manual that came with my 2014 21FBRS, the Electric Brake Controller provides power to the magnets that activate the trailer's electric brakes. Since the Brake Controller is in the cab of the tow vehicle then the power has to originate there; the battery disconnect in the trailer would have no affect on braking if I'm reading this right.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bill View Post
According to Dexter Axle manual that came with my 2014 21FBRS, the Electric Brake Controller provides power to the magnets that activate the trailer's electric brakes. Since the Brake Controller is in the cab of the tow vehicle then the power has to originate there; the battery disconnect in the trailer would have no affect on braking if I'm reading this right.
When the Trailer decides to leave your T/V without notice the only Elect.(12V) for your (Brakes) is on the trailer! If your trailer (Unit?) is wired to (Deactivate your E brake switch on the Unit) it needs to be (Active at ALL Times)! Youroo!!
Old 04-05-2014, 02:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
When the Trailer decides to leave your T/V without notice the only Elect.(12V) for your (Brakes) is on the trailer! If your trailer (Unit?) is wired to (Deactivate your E brake switch on the Unit) it needs to be (Active at ALL Times)! Youroo!!
youroo is correct, the power to your brakes comes from the controller that is why you set it the voltage that is needed to just before you lock them up when you step on your breaks. The emergency breakaway wire is only activated with the TT battery. The battery has to be on. when you pull the little 1/8" line out of the socket the tt breaks lock up. If you do not have power then it will not work. The only way around that is to wire the breakaway to the battery post. then you could still disconnect the battery but still have power to the breakaway safety....Youroo is correct. Most breakaways are not wired to the battery directly they are wired after the disconnect.........
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #16

Based on some TT that made it out of the factory that were not exactly perfect I would suggest you check that E brake connection. With the battery off...pull the breakaway out and listen for your brakes to lock. If you don't hear them activate...turn the battery on and do the same thing. If you hear them activate with the battery switch on, then they need to be rewired so the E brake activates with or without the battery on.
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:42 PM   #17

Quote:
When I bought my trailer I was told it had to be on by the dealer for the electric brake to work.When I had my old trailer with out the disconnect I went to get it inspected and they wouldn't inspect it bc I didn't have a battery in it
2013 25 nites 2017 19 nites
2014 14 nites
2015 16 nites
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:04 PM   #18

Quote:
That breakaway cable that you hook up along with the power cord and safety chains is activates the brakes on the trailer so it needs a battery to power those brakes if it breaks away from the tow vehicle. Always tow with a a battery that is connected and charged.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:46 PM   #19
B@M VOLS

I accidently pulled breakaway cable when hooking up. TT brakes locked so I couldn't pull it. Battery switch was in. Of course, power cable was hooked to truck as electric brake works through brake light wiring.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:16 AM   #20

The emergency brake has nothing to do with the tow vehicle brakes. The break-away emergency break is independent of your tow vehicles power and runs off your TT battery. Once it's pulled out of the socket, the brakes apply instantly. I could only imagine that would be one hell of a hairy situation if the ball failed and the TT broke away. The chains will hold but the slack would allow the trailer to take off in wild directions. A white knuckle ride in any case.

Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, bypass, water, heater