Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2014, 12:40 PM   #1

27bess

Just purchased the 27Bess, we love the over sized bunks and the seprate enterance for the bathroom. and the biggest thing is its the right weight for my f150 to tow..anyone else have this model? Id love to hear both pros and cons from any other owners out there..
Scrubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:10 PM   #2

I have the 2012 model of that trailer. It has the single-double bunk configuration instead of the double-double and the wardrobes on both sides of the queen bed only go down so far on both sides so there are night stands on both sides. The entertainment pillar is configured differently as well.

We love the trailer and we also tow with an F150 as it shows in my signature.

I'd be happy to field any questions you have.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
I have the 2012 model of that trailer. It has the single-double bunk configuration instead of the double-double and the wardrobes on both sides of the queen bed only go down so far on both sides so there are night stands on both sides. The entertainment pillar is configured differently as well.

We love the trailer and we also tow with an F150 as it shows in my signature.

I'd be happy to field any questions you have.
hey Papp, Im pretty sure I spoke with you on rv.net..Im so glad to hear you have no issues towing the 27BESS.. You are one of the people I can thank for talking me down to a lighter TT.. I was going to go with the 29FBS, With the outdoor kitchen.. It was 1000 lbs heavier and would have really pushed it as far as towing capacity.. My biggest concern was the slide out kitchen.. but doing some research, It looks like there arent any more issues with this model thatn any others... What about you, any issues with the slide out kitchen? and How does it tow with the F150?
Old 05-28-2014, 01:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubby View Post
hey Papp, Im pretty sure I spoke with you on rv.net..Im so glad to hear you have no issues towing the 27BESS.. You are one of the people I can thank for talking me down to a lighter TT.. I was going to go with the 29FBS, With the outdoor kitchen.. It was 1000 lbs heavier and would have really pushed it as far as towing capacity.. My biggest concern was the slide out kitchen.. but doing some research, It looks like there arent any more issues with this model thatn any others... What about you, any issues with the slide out kitchen? and How does it tow with the F150?
The slide out kitchen isn't really an issue. When you have a fridge in the slideout it can cause issues with airflow restrictions to the vent but the fridge is on the opposite side of the slide in this model so it vents straight up to the roof.

I like how it tows and I use a basic round bar WDH but I added 2 friction sway control devices. The P rated tires on the F150 tend to give it a sort of squishy feel in the back end but pumping them up to the max pressure alleviates almost all of that. You'll have to get used to the 5.0L revving pretty high on long inclines as that's where it's greatest torque curve is but that's how those engines were designed and I have no problem with it. The 6 speed transmission and Tow/Haul mode work flawlessly when towing and the integrated brake controller is infinitely better than any aftermarket device.

Also, the Rockwood 2702SS is the exact same trailer except for decals and upholstery and they come off the same assembly line so any reviews on that trailer apply to our model.

Now that I'm talking about it I'm getting antsy thinking about camping and the trailer is still in storage.

Good luck and I'm pretty certain you'll be very happy with your purchase.

2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
Old 06-14-2014, 12:22 AM   #5
Love Camping

We just bought the 27 bess emerald. Can't wait to take it out. A couple more weeks. Have you had any issues. I have a large bubble in my roof membrane. It's water tight still but needs to be fixed.
Alex V.V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex V.V View Post
We just bought the 27 bess emerald. Can't wait to take it out. A couple more weeks. Have you had any issues. I have a large bubble in my roof membrane. It's water tight still but needs to be fixed.
we are still waiting on delivery on ours..
Old 09-03-2014, 02:56 PM   #7

Thinking to buy a 2015 Forest River Flagstaff 27BESS

Hi to all,
My name is Pam. My husband, Scott, and I decided to trade-in our 2013 BMW X3 for a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with a tow rating of 7,200 lbs. and a hitch rating of 720. We are currently interested in the Forest River Flagstaff 27BESS. Is there anyone who can share their opinions about this trailer and our TV? Any comment would be greatly appreciated.
martinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:02 PM   #8

Looks like the loaded weight of that trailer will be around 6600lbs which is pretty close to the rating on your Jeep.

The Jeep is also fairly short wheelbase and on a trailer this long stability could be an issue. I would recommend something shorter and lighter, like one of the Rockwood or Flagstaff high wall pop ups. They are plenty big when set up.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:54 PM   #9

I agree with the above post from "offroad" - too much trailer for the SUV. I suggest getting one that is a lower profile (TrailManor) or more floor-space efficient (Hybrid Travel Trailer HTT) and is lighter. The weights tyou should be looking at is 6400# / 650# max loaded weight / tongue weight, respectively. Given people tend to load about 1000# of stuff, a 'brochure' unladen weight of 5000 - 5400# is a good place to start.

Weights are not the only determinants - the wheelbase is also a factor and tow vehicles with shorther wheelbases tend to get 'man-handled' by the trailer (tail wagging the dog phenomenon).

BTW - Welcome to the thread / forum.
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:33 PM   #10

Well I have to get my thoughts in too. Welcome to the forums first of all. I agree with both of the above (Off-road and WMoses) as to your tow vehicle. We have the 27RLWS which is the same length as the 27BESS but the 27BESS is a little less weight. Most, if not all, dealers will say to you, "Of course your vehicle will pull this trailer" and they are correct. It will pull it. But...not very far without some issues. As both have said, it's too much trailer for a short vehicle. Check your tongue weight max for the Jeep and I would bet your real close to max weight.
You have two options, one...a bigger tow vehicle. Two...a smaller trailer. My sister has the Grand Cherokee and has a small TT of about 3,000#.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:46 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I'll agree with the above. We were looking at the 27BESS, but ended up buying a 29QBSS. That 34' of trailer (tongue to bumper) really pushed around my Ram 1500 until I started adding additional anti-sway bars, and reducing weight. As it is, I recall they were around the same weight dry, but my trailer's about 900 lbs on the tongue, which with me being at 240, doesn't leave room in my 1150 payload for the rest of the family.

I make do, and try to adjust my driving accordingly, but I'm anxiously waiting for the day that the budget's right to trade up this truck to something bigger.

Since you just recently traded to the Jeep, you're not going to want to switch that any time soon, so I'd recommend looking for a smaller trailer.

You could try PMing DDC. I believe he pulls his rig with a Jeep and can provide some real world experiences around it.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinpa View Post
Hi to all,
My name is Pam. My husband, Scott, and I decided to trade-in our 2013 BMW X3 for a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with a tow rating of 7,200 lbs. and a hitch rating of 720. We are currently interested in the Forest River Flagstaff 27BESS. Is there anyone who can share their opinions about this trailer and our TV? Any comment would be greatly appreciated.
I have a 27BESS and I tow it with a 2011 F150 with the 5.0L. It tows pretty good but I wouldn't go any bigger with my 1/2 ton. I think it's too much for your GC but if you have a good WDH set up correctly it might be able to tow it for shorter trips.

I wouldn't do it myself.

2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
Old 09-04-2014, 10:06 AM   #13

I also have a 2014 27BESS. Towing with a Ram 1500 quad cab short bed 5.7L Hemi. Plenty of power, but had severe sway issues when semi's passed me on the interstate. Since a new truck wasn't feasible, I installed a ProPride 3P hitch. The 3P completely solved the sway issue. I can't image that it would be pleasant or safe to pull this trailer with your TV.

ProPride 3P 1400 Hitch
ts12i30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts12i30 View Post
I installed a ProPride 3P hitch. The 3P completely solved the sway issue.
Just curious, what hitch were you using prior to the ProPride?
Old 09-04-2014, 11:03 AM   #15

Camcorder Eaz-Lift weight distribution hitch with 1200# bars and 2 friction bars.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1409846614.450743.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	310.8 KB
ID:	62104

ProPride 3P 1400 Hitch
ts12i30 is offline   Reply With Quote