Old 05-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #161

I used to have a piece of foam under my monitor in the old RV. Based on the experience by cecelea I think that it is prudent to do the same here.

2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:13 PM   #162

Thanks for the info on the flat panel.

Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:12 PM   #163

I don't think foam would help without locking in the mount. It has the 2 year drop type mount where you slide the tv into the mount. Well that's where it can pop off. I took industrial cable ties and wrapped it around that part so the tv can not pop up and out which is what happened to ours. It came completely off the mount on the wall.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:12 PM   #164

I meant tear drop....mount....
Old 05-05-2014, 08:39 PM   #165

27RLWS

Wayne I'm thinking more along the line of tying down rather than protect the fall. Thought about those rear cabinet doors opening which can catch on the slides going out and in. Can't really get to the doors when the slides are closed nor can you see them.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:43 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecelea View Post
I don't think foam would help without locking in the mount. It has the 2 year drop type mount where you slide the tv into the mount. Well that's where it can pop off. I took industrial cable ties and wrapped it around that part so the tv can not pop up and out which is what happened to ours. It came completely off the mount on the wall.
I agree. That is not what i intended to say. The foam is just to help mitigate the downward cantilever motion as you go over bumps while underway. The correct thing is to fasten the mount so that it does not move up or down at the mounting point, while the foam support simply mitigates the downward "flex".

As for fixing the mount at the wall - I could have sworn that it was lockable, but you said you had to use cable ties so I guess it is not lockable. (Can't see the mount now as the RV is storage).
Old 05-05-2014, 09:48 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slympicins View Post
Wayne I'm thinking more along the line of tying down rather than protect the fall. Thought about those rear cabinet doors opening which can catch on the slides going out and in. Can't really get to the doors when the slides are closed nor can you see them.
Understood. On my RV the roller catches on the doors are very firm so I am not worried that the doors will open under normal travel.

Frankly speaking I would be more worried about the bedroom TV falling off the wall but so far it is nice and sturdy (knock on wood). Of course it has no slide-off style mount, just a flat-to-the-wall fixed mount I got from WalMart.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:52 AM   #168

Most mounts are lockable but I found the one on ours in the living room area of the travel trailer is not. Or at least we haven't found a way to lock it down other than the cable ties. They work great. I check them periodically to ensure they are still tight. I will post a photo of how we did it when I get a chance. If anyone figures out how to lock it, let me know! My husband and I install tv's and surround sound systems for a living and this mount has us stumped.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:12 AM   #169

Got it. I may need to check on the up and down movement. Heading to Virginia at the end of the month. Sure would not like to set up and find the tv bounced out of the wall. Let's face it, this is not mahogany the mount is screwed into. More like processed pressed sawdust and doesn't have really good screw retention for vertical tension.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:56 AM   #170
Mod free 5er

Shocks on the trailer mitigates a lot of these problems.