Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #161

I used to have a piece of foam under my monitor in the old RV. Based on the experience by cecelea I think that it is prudent to do the same here.
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:13 PM   #162

Thanks for the info on the flat panel.
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:12 PM   #163

I don't think foam would help without locking in the mount. It has the 2 year drop type mount where you slide the tv into the mount. Well that's where it can pop off. I took industrial cable ties and wrapped it around that part so the tv can not pop up and out which is what happened to ours. It came completely off the mount on the wall.
cecelea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:12 PM   #164

I meant tear drop....mount....
Old 05-05-2014, 08:39 PM   #165

27RLWS

Wayne I'm thinking more along the line of tying down rather than protect the fall. Thought about those rear cabinet doors opening which can catch on the slides going out and in. Can't really get to the doors when the slides are closed nor can you see them.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:43 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecelea View Post
I don't think foam would help without locking in the mount. It has the 2 year drop type mount where you slide the tv into the mount. Well that's where it can pop off. I took industrial cable ties and wrapped it around that part so the tv can not pop up and out which is what happened to ours. It came completely off the mount on the wall.
I agree. That is not what i intended to say. The foam is just to help mitigate the downward cantilever motion as you go over bumps while underway. The correct thing is to fasten the mount so that it does not move up or down at the mounting point, while the foam support simply mitigates the downward "flex".

As for fixing the mount at the wall - I could have sworn that it was lockable, but you said you had to use cable ties so I guess it is not lockable. (Can't see the mount now as the RV is storage).
Old 05-05-2014, 09:48 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slympicins View Post
Wayne I'm thinking more along the line of tying down rather than protect the fall. Thought about those rear cabinet doors opening which can catch on the slides going out and in. Can't really get to the doors when the slides are closed nor can you see them.
Understood. On my RV the roller catches on the doors are very firm so I am not worried that the doors will open under normal travel.

Frankly speaking I would be more worried about the bedroom TV falling off the wall but so far it is nice and sturdy (knock on wood). Of course it has no slide-off style mount, just a flat-to-the-wall fixed mount I got from WalMart.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:52 AM   #168

Most mounts are lockable but I found the one on ours in the living room area of the travel trailer is not. Or at least we haven't found a way to lock it down other than the cable ties. They work great. I check them periodically to ensure they are still tight. I will post a photo of how we did it when I get a chance. If anyone figures out how to lock it, let me know! My husband and I install tv's and surround sound systems for a living and this mount has us stumped.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:12 AM   #169

Got it. I may need to check on the up and down movement. Heading to Virginia at the end of the month. Sure would not like to set up and find the tv bounced out of the wall. Let's face it, this is not mahogany the mount is screwed into. More like processed pressed sawdust and doesn't have really good screw retention for vertical tension.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:56 AM   #170
Mod free 5er

Shocks on the trailer mitigates a lot of these problems.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:15 AM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Shocks on the trailer mitigates a lot of these problems.
If 10K is a typical price then I can't afford this retrofit kit

Had a closer look - all products discontinued but looking at the few brackets in each kit the price should be $10. Maybe $10K is why they were discontinued!

I notice another thread on this issue (adding shocks to TorFlex axles) - did you ever get them installed?
Old 05-10-2014, 10:02 PM   #172

Hey y'all

Just picked up my 2015 (yes I typed 2015) 27RLWS in Des Moines on Thurs afternoon and got it back to Canada by Friday evening.

After having read through the entire thread the last few weeks, I was surprised to discover the sofa problem has been solved by.......Not Fastening It Down at ALL... Yep, mine is just sitting there like a loose piece of furniture. Fortunately, it caused no damage in my 13 hr drive home. I think maybe I'll just cut a piece of wood to space it out from the wall. It doesn't seem to have any tendency to migrate out to the centre.

I did have one problem, though. The 8' long piece of aluminum skirting from the front right corner to the steps cracked off on the highway after we'd been on the road about an hour. It appears one of the support brackets failed, and the skirting vibrated away till it tore off. Again no damage to the rest of the unit, and I should be able to fix it easily once FR sends up the piece.

I did have trouble with the steps opening up on the highway. They folded completely out twice before I zip-locked both sides till I got home. Any body else have this problem, and what did you use to secure them during travel?
Equalizer 1200 4 pt. Tekonsha controller
Devilscreekw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:53 AM   #173

You have to push the steps in real hard for them to lock in place; If you are too gentle with them they will open
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:09 AM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilscreekw View Post
... I did have trouble with the steps opening up on the highway. They folded completely out twice before I zip-locked both sides till I got home. Any body else have this problem, and what did you use to secure them during travel?
I have never had this problem and would love to know what happened in your case.

The steps have 2 folds-in and then a slide in operation to stow. The slide in must go all the way in so that the assembly drops down maybe 1/2" into a slot at the end of the "track" in the side plates. It is this dropping down that secures the steps in the stowed position, since to deploy the steps one has to lift and pull out the whole assembly and then do the two fold-outs. Wish I had a pciture to show what I mean. So for it to deploy when underway would mean a simultaneous turn to the left at the same time hitting a bump so that the assembly jumps up and out of the slot - very hard to do.

Sorry to hear of the skirting. Mine is in good shape after over 2000 miles of travel and a "coming together" of the sofa slide skirt with a small plastic coated concrete post next to the electric post at a recent campsite. Just pulled the skirt back out and used a rubber mallet to knock out the dent in the skirt. Looks good and the brackets held throughout.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:13 AM   #175

Yeah, the top step locks in (but still bounced out), but the bottom two steps don't appear to lock, and they just rolled over and came down.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:14 AM   #176

On my 2010 2501ss TT we had that problem once on a trip to Glendo Wyoming. However, during that trip it was raining and blowing directly across the highway from the drivers side. Steps blew out twice. Ended up using a bungee cord the rest of the time. Have not had issue with the 5er steps although the are the same design.

Tom - 2014 8289ws, 2011 Chevy 2500HD
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:41 AM   #177

Quote:
Yeah, the top step locks in (but still bounced out), but the bottom two steps don't appear to lock, and they just rolled over and came down.
Okay thanks for clarifying. I thought there was complete deployment. There is no locking of the folding bottom steps so they could flip out as in your case but I would think that would take some significant input force to do that. Not having that experience I must defer to those who have.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:29 PM   #178

Quote:
On my 2010 2501ss TT we had that problem once on a trip to Glendo Wyoming. However, during that trip it was raining and blowing directly across the highway from the drivers side. Steps blew out twice.
Makes sense now. We had a 35mph wind from the driver's side as well. I was using my old hitch from my Layton 220, a 750 lb Draw-tite WDH with no anti sway, and rush hour out of Des Moines in those hills with bumper to bumper semis was not something I want to repeat soon. It took till Watertown SD where I 29 flattens out and traffic tapered off that I could relax a bit, but still had an unbelievable wind till well into the evening. Kept my cruise around 92 Km (56mph) till then. My Equalizer 4 pt. did not arrive in time for my trailer arrival.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:29 PM   #179

New washer-dryer for those long road trips

Check out this review of my latest acquisition for the RV. I expect to put it at the end of the counter, just under the counter extension. When travelling I believe it will fit between the sofa and the dinette.

Now I am all set for my next road trip!
Old 05-19-2014, 04:46 AM   #180

Quote:
Hey y'all

Just picked up my 2015 (yes I typed 2015) 27RLWS in Des Moines on Thurs afternoon and got it back to Canada by Friday evening.

After having read through the entire thread the last few weeks, I was surprised to discover the sofa problem has been solved by.......Not Fastening It Down at ALL... Yep, mine is just sitting there like a loose piece of furniture. Fortunately, it caused no damage in my 13 hr drive home. I think maybe I'll just cut a piece of wood to space it out from the wall. It doesn't seem to have any tendency to migrate out to the centre.

I did have one problem, though. The 8' long piece of aluminum skirting from the front right corner to the steps cracked off on the highway after we'd been on the road about an hour. It appears one of the support brackets failed, and the skirting vibrated away till it tore off. Again no damage to the rest of the unit, and I should be able to fix it easily once FR sends up the piece.

I did have trouble with the steps opening up on the highway. They folded completely out twice before I zip-locked both sides till I got home. Any body else have this problem, and what did you use to secure them during travel?
We had the same problem with our skirting. Called FR and they replaced the entire skirting because ours started to rip off.
Our couch is not fastened down and does not move even on rough terrain!
Enjoy your new home away from home!