Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2014, 09:32 PM   #541

We also have a 2015 Rockwood 2703ws (old style front cap) and have added two ottomans from Biglots in front of the Sofa. They are padded on top and the lid removes for storage. The wife wants to remove the sofa and add two recliners. Don't know if its possible. Has anyone else tried this? I do not like the new cap. It has no rock shield.
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:43 PM   #542

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHBroker View Post
Does anyone know what amount of floor space remains between the slides in the travel mode? That may be the show stopper. Just doing my research
Harlan - when the opposing slides are in (travel position) the free floor space at its narrowest between the sofa and the dinette is about 20" wide (going by memory) and maybe a bit larger in front of the fridge. IOW there is no place to stor anything like a recliner.

If you get a light small plush chair you can probably travel with it inverted on top of the dinette, but it won't fit between the slides, that's for sure.
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:46 PM   #543

Quote:
Originally Posted by zexel View Post
We have a 2014 27RLWS and I have a small recliner that I use at the end of the counter.
I am interested in seeing what your small recliner looks like - any pictures?
Old 12-09-2014, 11:48 PM   #544

Sorry I don`t and it is at the dealer for slide repair so I can`t get any. Waiting on parts, won`t be done till middle of January. It`s been there about six weeks already, but this time of year I don`t really care, to cold in Illinois for camping anyway.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:07 AM   #545

If you can remember where you got thte chair and can describe any features (brand name, model, etc) maybe I can scrounge up a picture on the Internet. That would be most appreicated, as I too am on the lookout for a chair like that although my wife mumbles something about it eating up the nice space we presently have in that "living room" area. We usually deploy the counter extension also so putting the chair there would mean more incursion into that space.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:13 AM   #546

I would also be interested to see if someone has removed the couch and installed two recliners. We don't need a couch and it sure would be nice to have recliners there.

100 nights this year and still counting.
beechjet16mf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:25 AM   #547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmoses View Post
If you can remember where you got thte chair and can describe any features (brand name, model, etc) maybe I can scrounge up a picture on the Internet. That would be most appreicated, as I too am on the lookout for a chair like that although my wife mumbles something about it eating up the nice space we presently have in that "living room" area. We usually deploy the counter extension also so putting the chair there would mean more incursion into that space.
All I can remember is I bought it at Sears on clearance a couple of years ago. It is a bit small but still better for watching the tv than the couch or dinette. Sorry I can`t be more help.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:33 PM   #548

Easy chair in a 27RLWS model

Thanks to all for the feedback. We currently use a small, swivel rocker and ottoman in our current TT. So, perhaps something similar will store in between the seats on that over-sized booth style dinette when in travel mode.

Another question or food for thought. I prefer mini blinds instead of the problematic day/night shades. Does anyone use or have them in their unit? I thought that I had read somewhere that FR deemed the mini blinds as standard and the day/night shades as an option??? There are 10 windows in this unit in varying sizes and I don't think I would like to have to find and replace all the shades with custom mini blinds. Perhaps we may need to have a dealer factory order a 27RLWS with mini blinds and no built-in water filter. I would prefer and external water filter. Bad
memories of a past experience.

Getting closer.

Thanks,

Harlan
MHBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:03 PM   #549

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHBroker View Post
I prefer mini blinds instead of the problematic day/night shades. Does anyone use or have them in their unit? I thought that I had read somewhere that FR deemed the mini blinds as standard and the day/night shades as an option???
I agree with the notion that the day night shades are better / an upgrade to the mini-blinds provided they are installed correctly. By correctly I mean that the tension in the strings is not too tight but just appropriate. If the string is too tight they are hard to operate and break prematurely. After one learns to re-string these then it is not a big issue and in my experience are better than mini-blinds since they don't swing and rattle while underway AND they allow you to see outside (day mode) while outside eyes cannot see inside.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:39 PM   #550

I too prefer mini blinds. They were not an option on our 2014 346QBUD. We were "forced" to except the night shades. Seems they're weren't offering day/night shades only the night shades if we wanted the QBUD. We are now stuck(and I will do this) with replacing the shades with mini blinds. Since we're not in the 5er when it's rolling I don't care if they rattle and if you tilt them correctly you still get privacy, a view and the breeze that the day/night shades cut off.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:31 AM   #551
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmoses View Post
I agree with the notion that the day night shades are better / an upgrade to the mini-blinds provided they are installed correctly. By correctly I mean that the tension in the strings is not too tight but just appropriate. If the string is too tight they are hard to operate and break prematurely. After one learns to re-string these then it is not a big issue and in my experience are better than mini-blinds since they don't swing and rattle while underway AND they allow you to see outside (day mode) while outside eyes cannot see inside.
We had the day/night shades on our 08Flagstaff831RLSS and hated them, bought our 2012 Flagstaff 8528RKWS and it had them also. We cussed them and finally bit the bullet and took the damned things down and replaced them all with mini-blinds. This trip to FL for 3 months is the first time out with the mini blinds and we love them. We gave some of the day/night shades away and trash canned some. In our opinion, they look nice, but functionally they are pure junk.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:23 PM   #552

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj3spots View Post
Since we're not in the 5er when it's rolling I don't care if they rattle and if you tilt them correctly you still get privacy, a view and the breeze that the day/night shades cut off.
Good points of course.

Agree on the rattling not being an issue while in transit. They cn be an issue if the windows are open and a nice breeze is flowing through. Not a big deal for me though.

That said, the day night shades only impede breeze when deployed of course. If I want breeze I just slide both shades up. I don't actually care who is looking in.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:06 AM   #553

Has anyone had a problem with the skirting on the bottom of the trailer cracking. Our 27'RLWS has developed a crack just above the black/grey drain. It looks like FR didn't install enough diagonal bracing along that side of the trailer, and it flexes when traveling. We have put 16,000 miles on this trailer this year, and I suppose all the flexing from all the miles has shown up. I am going to stop drill the crack, and install more diagonal braces on that side. That should fix the problem. All in all, we have had very few problems with the trailer.

100+ nights and counting down to the first of the year.
beechjet16mf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:25 PM   #554

I have seen several of the 27RLWS models where the entire side ripped off. I had ours in the shop for an axle issue and there were two TT's in there having that skirting repaired. We have not experienced that issue and hope we don't. I would say Flagstaff has heard of this as well since they had to pay for the repairs.
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:18 AM   #555

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechjet16mf View Post
Has anyone had a problem with the skirting on the bottom of the trailer cracking. Our 27'RLWS has developed a crack just above the black/grey drain. It looks like FR didn't install enough diagonal bracing along that side of the trailer, and it flexes when traveling. We have put 16,000 miles on this trailer this year, and I suppose all the flexing from all the miles has shown up. I am going to stop drill the crack, and install more diagonal braces on that side. That should fix the problem. All in all, we have had very few problems with the trailer.

100+ nights and counting down to the first of the year.
My passenger side front section came off after the first hour on the highway. Never even got it home. I finally got the new piece shipped to Canada in Sept. but unit was wrapped for the winter so has not been repaired yet. There are definitely more brackets going on come spring.
Equalizer 1200 4 pt. Tekonsha controller
Devilscreekw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:09 PM   #556

I have had no issues whatsoever with mine ... other than the dent I put iin the right rear corner skirt from backing into short post in a campsite. Just need to remove the bracket, bend it back into the proper shape and that will push the skirt back into its proper orientation.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:57 PM   #557

As you know Wayne I haven't had that little problem either (yet). Had others but not that one. I caught myself looking at an Airstream 27FB Twin last week. Loved it's simplicity but geez the price. Figured I could buy two more of what we have to one of those.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:00 PM   #558

Happy New Year everyone.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:59 PM   #559

Wayne... What's your opinion on Airstream trailers? I was looking at the Flying Cloud 27FB Twin. It's expensive but looks nice.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:09 PM   #560

Have there been any complaints about excessive movement of these units. I have my stabilizers down, but when adults walk from the dining slide to the sofa slide the corner stabilizer comes off the ground and rattles. Would putting lifts under the stabilizer feet help this? I wish now I had foregone the electric stabilizers and gotten the manual scissor jacks.

2015 Rockwood 2703WS (flagstaff 27rlws clone)
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote