Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2013, 05:48 AM   #21

You may have got rid of squatting but did you set the wdh to control swaying of the trailer? Search this forum on how to get your wdh set up correctly to get most out of it for both squatting (sagging) of the truck and swaying of the trailer.
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:15 AM   #22

Nice looking truck Cypress! Love the new Ford Super Duty look. Just curious on what WDH you have? 2 things I did that helped a lot with the same symptoms you have is: 1. 4pt equalizer hitch with proper weight bars 2. Upgraded TT tires from "C" rated to "D" rated. You have a similar set up as mine and that helped me greatly. I went from a F150 to a F350 and was initially disappointed in the way the trailer behaved until I did the above mentioned upgrades. I believe once you get truck and trailer "tuned" you will be more than happy with the performance.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #23

I have the Equalizer 4 point hitch and I already upgraded the tires from C to D load range do to a bad Trail Express tire. I've been thinking about increasing the bars to 1200# but it looks like I may have to replace the hitch head and I'm not sure I want to put more money into it with out knowing for sure it will improve. Thanks for the comments they are appreciated.
CypressNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:29 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEMig View Post
The 6.2 should handle that load pretty well set up properly. I'm now getting 9mpg pulling my 113000 lb Crusader at 65 mph. I also use the tow haul and lock out 6th gear when encountering over passes and hills.
That's some heavy trailer! 113000, don't think the ol ecoboost would pull that.

Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #25

Hey cypress, another item I just remembered that could affect sway is if your sway arm control is at the correct ft lbs torque. Not sure on correct name of parts but it is the part that the weight bars go into that is attached to the hitch head itself (looks like a rectangular piece of metal. You have to remove bolts, clean, relube with recommended lube and torque to 50 to 60 lbs (look at manual to be sure). Mine was over torqued by dealer.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrstroke2012 View Post
Hey cypress, another item I just remembered that could affect sway is if your sway arm control is at the correct ft lbs torque. Not sure on correct name of parts but it is the part that the weight bars go into that is attached to the hitch head itself (looks like a rectangular piece of metal. You have to remove bolts, clean, relube with recommended lube and torque to 50 to 60 lbs (look at manual to be sure). Mine was over torqued by dealer.
I will check that out when I pick up the TT from the dealer. One of the arms is definitely a lot harder to swing than the other but I didn't think that would have much effect on the sway control, hmm, you don't know what you don't know. I always thought sway was controlled by friction at the L Brackets.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #27

I was on the Eqaulizer hitch website this morning and they have a program for selecting the correct hitch size for your trailer so I put in my scale numbers and it said " Given your inputs, we were unable to determine the right hitch for your needs. Please contact your local dealer for assistance." My numbers are Gross trailer weight 8500#, tongue weight 1200# and weight of cargo loaded behind the rear axle of your tow vehicle 200#. In order for it to suggest a hitch size I change the numbers to 8500#, 1100# & 100# and it suggested a 14K hitch, I was surprised, but that explains a lot if that's true. I guess my next step is to talk to my dealer again and see what they say, 14K confused!!