Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 09:19 AM   #1
Member
 
CypressNova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 80
6.2L F250 towing my Flagstaff 831FKBSS

Recently traded in a 5.7L Tundra for a new 4X4 F250 6.2L gas with 3.73 gears. From the scales, loaded, my trailer weighs 8200 and my truck weighs 7500. I have an Equalizer 4 point hitch with 1000 pound bars and after going to the scales I may need to go up to 1200 or 1400 pound bars, my tongue weight is 1240 pounds. I hear a lot of people say I couldn't even tell the trailer was back there, if that's true, God Bless them but I know the trailer is back there, maybe the heavier bars will make it better. I traded in a 33 foot Springdale and the Tundra towed it really well, when I bought this new trailer which is a little heavier and longer the Tundra had issues with sway, especially in the wind. So I decided to upgrade to a F250 and thought my troubles would be over, not necessarily, don't get me wrong, it's a big improvement but the campsite I pulled it to was about a hour from the house and there wasn't any wind so the jury is still out.
The 6.2L did fine, I couldn't justify a diesel, I can buy a lot of gas for $9000 and I only drive the truck about 10 miles a day and get about 13 miles a gallon around town. I tow the trailer about 5 times a year and towing yesterday at 65mph I got 8 miles a gallon, at 70 the mileage drops about a half a gallon. I really liked the manual mode on the transmission, at 65 mph the truck would pull the trailer in 5 th gear at 2200 rpm, the truck wouldn't hold 70 mph in 5th, I had to drop it to 6th and it was at 3000 rpm. That's why the gas mileage drops so much from 65 to 70. The 6.2L is really quite at 3000 rpm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2767216993.jpg
Views:	2860
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	38950  
__________________

__________________
CypressNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
William
 
WEMig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 560
The 6.2 should handle that load pretty well set up properly. I'm now getting 9mpg pulling my 113000 lb Crusader at 65 mph. I also use the tow haul and lock out 6th gear when encountering over passes and hills.
__________________

__________________
2012 Crusader 320RLT
2011 F250 Lariat 6.7L
2016 (19 Nights Camped/1348 Miles)
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
Member
 
CypressNova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 80
I agree WEMig, the truck is great.
__________________
CypressNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Lloydg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEMig View Post
The 6.2 should handle that load pretty well set up properly. I'm now getting 9mpg pulling my 113000 lb Crusader at 65 mph. I also use the tow haul and lock out 6th gear when encountering over passes and hills.
What do you mean by locking out 6th gear. I have a f250 6.2L and use tow haul while towing but don't understand the other comment.

thanks
__________________

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Ada, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Santa Fe, Tx
Posts: 200
Might mean in the manual mode don't up shift to 6th gear. Leave it in 5 th gear.I have the same F250 and have been trying that to keep from up shifting when in 6th
__________________
Ole Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Twisty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,138
Nice rig, Nova!!

Lloyd,
There is a plus/minus switch on the gear shift handle.
Pressing it adds/removes the 1 thru 6 from the display and also locks out gears. It's in the manual. Have fun!
__________________
FOR SALE 2014 BOSS 6.2L F350
2012 Surveyor SV264
NW Oregon
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
Now a "Top Member"
 
EdJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Roman Forest, TX
Posts: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
What do you mean by locking out 6th gear. I have a f250 6.2L and use tow haul while towing but don't understand the other comment.

thanks
You can go into "Manual" mode (the +- button on the shifter) and put the transmission into whatever gear you want. It can be used as a manual shift, and be used to lockout the higher gears as necessary.
__________________
Ed and Sharon
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS
2011 Ford F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Brother Les's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BoCoMo
Posts: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressNova View Post
Recently traded in a 5.7L Tundra for a new 4X4 F250 6.2L gas with 3.73 gears. From the scales, loaded, my trailer weighs 8200 and my truck weighs 7500. I have an Equalizer 4 point hitch with 1000 pound bars and after going to the scales I may need to go up to 1200 or 1400 pound bars, my tongue weight is 1240 pounds. I hear a lot of people say I couldn't even tell the trailer was back there, if that's true, God Bless them but I know the trailer is back there, maybe the heavier bars will make it better. I traded in a 33 foot Springdale and the Tundra towed it really well, when I bought this new trailer which is a little heavier and longer the Tundra had issues with sway, especially in the wind. So I decided to upgrade to a F250 and thought my troubles would be over, not necessarily, don't get me wrong, it's a big improvement but the campsite I pulled it to was about a hour from the house and there wasn't any wind so the jury is still out.
The 6.2L did fine, I couldn't justify a diesel, I can buy a lot of gas for $9000 and I only drive the truck about 10 miles a day and get about 13 miles a gallon around town. I tow the trailer about 5 times a year and towing yesterday at 65mph I got 8 miles a gallon, at 70 the mileage drops about a half a gallon. I really liked the manual mode on the transmission, at 65 mph the truck would pull the trailer in 5 th gear at 2200 rpm, the truck wouldn't hold 70 mph in 5th, I had to drop it to 6th and it was at 3000 rpm. That's why the gas mileage drops so much from 65 to 70. The 6.2L is really quite at 3000 rpm.

8mpg? omg. I guess you will be buying a lot of gas. My '01 7.3 Diesel gets 15-16mpg all day long. Cruising at 65mph and 1800rpms in overdrive. when I don't have the camper on, I get 20-23 mpg. (it is chipped and I like to blow smoke and lay down rubber or I could get better mpg)
__________________
Brother Les

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Lloydg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 651
Thanks for teaching me something today. It's a new truck with only 2400 miles. I'll play with that next time out. Right now it's time for football!
__________________

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Ada, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
William
 
WEMig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post

What do you mean by locking out 6th gear. I have a f250 6.2L and use tow haul while towing but don't understand the other comment.

thanks
Keep it in D (not manual mode) and use the +/- by pressing the - and it will not allow the truck to shift to 6th gear.
__________________

__________________
2012 Crusader 320RLT
2011 F250 Lariat 6.7L
2016 (19 Nights Camped/1348 Miles)
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 PM.