Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2016, 03:46 PM   #1
Hef

831 BHDS- Bought today

We pulled the trigger today on a 2016 831 BHDS and we are excited. We have been camping in a Flagstaff HW PU for the last four years so this will be a nice step up for us.We pick it up on 3/12, counting the days!

Anyone out there have one of these? If you do share some of your experiences good or bad and any tips or advice you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks

Darren
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Congrats on your new 2016 831 BHDS!

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:29 PM   #3

Congrats! We bought a new one last year, really like it.
Ranger431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:12 AM   #4

Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your 2016 831 BHDS.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:58 PM   #5
Hef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger431 View Post
Congrats! We bought a new one last year, really like it.
How is it holding up? Any issues or problems with it and have you had to take it in for any service issues?

Thanks
Old 03-03-2016, 11:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hef View Post
How is it holding up? Any issues or problems with it and have you had to take it in for any service issues?

Thanks
Holding up very well. Only have had 2 issues, and one was completely my fault, but I'll share so you can learn from my mistake.

First one happened on a trip while breaking camp. A huge storm was heading in and we were really in a rush. Typically setting up and tearing down is something I do, and usually don't ask for, or get, a ton of help working on the TT. The wife cleans up inside and makes sure laundry is taken care of and the inside stuff is done, kids clean up toys and pick up any trash around the camsite, etc. Anyway, in this case she was really trying to help me avoid getting soaked and tried to close up the front window. The wind was blowing really hard, and she didn't realize the front cover had wing nuts that had to be loosened and really yanked hard. Needless to say the aluminum price bent, and badly. I had to rip it from the frame to get it closed. I ordered another aluminum bar from the dealer and was able to replace it, but it was pretty frustrating on a new rig. I saw her reach up as I was heading toward her from the rear of the TT, saw her reach up, and when I realized it looked like she was about to do a pull up, I let out a "Noooooooooo!!!!" buy was too late. Entirely my fault for not showing her how it worked, and she was trying to help.

Only other minor issue was I had to have the screws in the frame of the outside kitchen door tightened up a bit, as they rubbed when closing the door. Could have easily done this myself, but since I store it where I bought it, I just mentioned it when I dropped it off and they took care of it.

Only small price of advice I'll share is be careful that the sofas (we have 2 - one in front in one in back) are properly closed before towing. It is possible for it to look closed, but it can slide forward. It's not hard, but you have to make sure it is all the way back in before you lower the sitting surface for it to fully engage.

All in all, I'm very pleased with it thus far.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:19 PM   #7
Hef

Ranger431-

Does yours have the Black Tank Flush? Does it work good?
Old 03-06-2016, 11:25 PM   #8

Yes it does and yes it does

I believe the secret to the flashers is technique. First, I have a clear adapter that fits between the RV outlet pipe and the stinky slinky. Yes, this is kinda gross, but really helps to tell when things are cleaned out. Always start with the blank tank. Firat, dump normallly, and as things are moving along, kick the water on to the tanks. I wait until there is nothing but clear water coming out, then close the valve. Make sure you don't get distracted while doing this step! Let the black tank flusher fill the tank 1/3 to 1/2 way and then open the valve. You'll be amazed how much residual "stuff there is. Then when it's running clear again, shut the water off close the black tand valve and frail the grey. Sometimes I'll backfill the black tank 2-3 times just to make sure it's good and clean.

A neat trick is to get a "Y" adapter to attach to your water supply with on off valves, just so you don't have to disconnect your potable water hose. But I wouldn't leave it connected to your black tank flushed all the time because all it takes is one kid to accidently turn the valive and you'll have a flood going on..
Old 03-08-2016, 08:56 PM   #9

Hef, we got one last May, I've pulled it to Yellowstone and Orlando from KC and numerous short trips, we love the space and layout. The outdoor kitchen is great. I probably have 6,500 miles on it and about 35 nights and the only issue was the radio which was replaced. Getting ready to pull it to Olympia this summer.

Kansas Wind
Kansas Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:11 PM   #10
I go RV'ing not Camping

Congrats
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:30 PM   #11
Hef

Pics of the new rig

2016 831 bhds
Old 03-23-2016, 05:29 PM   #12
Hef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Wind View Post
Hef, we got one last May, I've pulled it to Yellowstone and Orlando from KC and numerous short trips, we love the space and layout. The outdoor kitchen is great. I probably have 6,500 miles on it and about 35 nights and the only issue was the radio which was replaced. Getting ready to pull it to Olympia this summer.

Kansas Wind
Did yours come with an amplifier for the antenna? I think mine has one but have no idea where the power switch is for it?
Old 03-23-2016, 05:33 PM   #13

Hef,

If it what I'm thinking of its below the tv to right, there are a couple wall plates with coaxle cables and there is a small button, push and green light comes on lets you know the booster is on. Hope this helps.

We love our trailer

Kansas wind
Kansas Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:53 PM   #14
Hef

Thank you. I will look for it. We are really pumped for the maiden voyage Friday.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:12 PM   #15

This is correct. When using cable TV, you will need to turn the amplifier off.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:41 AM   #16

Congrats Hef! I have a 2014 and all is well. Make sure pocket doors are locked down before travel. Keep a eye on plate that holds air shock of outdoor stove, mine came loose and bent and I had to get it fixed. Other than that love it. Fyi The outdoor sink does drain into blacktank
dkotorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hef View Post
We pulled the trigger today on a 2016 831 BHDS and we are excited. We have been camping in a Flagstaff HW PU for the last four years so this will be a nice step up for us.We pick it up on 3/12, counting the days!

Anyone out there have one of these? If you do share some of your experiences good or bad and any tips or advice you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks

Darren
Nice and congrats, we have a 2011 831BHDS outdoor kitchen. We love the layout etc. of this trailer. We have put on some major miles over the years and love every minute of it. My only beef (and small) is the outdoor kitchen sink empties into black tank. Not a big deal on full hook-up sites but in many parks we cannot get full hookups. I found a plastic tub that fits nicely in the sink for use when we don't have full hook-up and just dispose of the water. Saves on emptying the black tank when we have extended stays in our provincial parks.. A few other notables; In our pantry I took the shelves out (except top one) and input sliding drawers, very handy as the pantries are deep. This is a long trailer you will find a bit more wobble/shake then you may be use to. For extended stays at one park (5 or more days)I put hand jacks under the steps and I use wheel x jokes all the time.
2011 Flagstaff classic 31.5'BHDS
Gripper is offline   Reply With Quote