Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2013, 07:30 AM   #1

831BFKSS bounces on some roads

would like other owner input on trailer bounce while towing.
we have a Flagstaff 831FKBSS and have experienced excessive trailer and truck bouncing (that's what I call it) on certain roads, but not all.
at one time in the past I thought this might have been the Equalizer hitch setup, but now am leaning to the trailer type.
since it is a front kitchen and somewhat unique.
so on some roads its a constant down and up and affects the truck making it uncomfortable.
we just returned from a 4000 mile trip and experienced this on several highways, mostly Illinois, Iowa, some Utah and very little Colorado. indicates the road type maybe
on most roads it goes away and the towing is what you expect---"don't really know the trailer is there."
have you experienced this bounce on some roads?
what do you equate it to?
can it be the equalizer hitch setup? (I do have some noticeable front end pitch, higher than the rear)
the current experience may lead me to trading in this unit since I can't go through it on every trip.
Gary
etcmss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #2

TV 2500 TT831FKBSS Diamond PK. Suspension is AL-KO Independant Rubber Type. Reese DC hitch.
Towing in Fl&Ga @55-60 is not a problem most of the time. The cement hwy in Fl(I-10) is bad for bouncing. Many of the bridges are very bad for bouncing due to design of Hwy. The TT is great on dirt roads if slow.
Over all I have very little problems towing and have to remember its behind me. Great TT.
There is a recall on the bathroom sky light and if you haven't taken it in you don't have much time. The cost was zip and got a free roof inspection. Hope you enjoy yopur TT.
Miles towing in the 8K+ range.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #3

I bet your "bouncing" was on concrete highways, not blacktop. I'm guessing some highway road contractors don't know how to pour concrete without a bump at each joint. We had some roads so bad here in Wi that the surface was ground to eliminate the bumps. A different unit won't help...I don't think. We traded for a tracer 230 FBS this year and with the wider distance between wheels and I think the bouncing is less severe, but still there.
Klemintine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #4

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Klemme View Post
I bet your "bouncing" was on concrete highways, not blacktop. I'm guessing some highway road contractors don't know how to pour concrete without a bump at each joint. We had some roads so bad here in Wi that the surface was ground to eliminate the bumps. A different unit won't help...I don't think. We traded for a tracer 230 FBS this year and with the wider distance between wheels and I think the bouncing is less severe, but still there.
Yep, and those are the same ones who can NOT build a bridge and it's approach at the same height.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #5

I also own a 831FKBSS and I have the problem of bouncing, especially on concrete roads. I found Arkansas interstates the worst of all. I have replaced the shocks on my Chevy 3500 dually with Monroe Reflex shocks and the bouncing is minimized although not totally gone. On my dually, I really do not have enough tongue weight to drop the back end down to a level where I can put significant tension on the equalizer bars to control some bounce. Too much tension causes a tent effect between the TT and the TV. The problem is magnified when I fill the FW tank.
2Macs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #6

Yep same here in Michigan. My 831BHDS make you sea sick on some roads. I am not liking the new suspension on these trailers.
Days camped 2013 -39
rltsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Folks don't want to agree, but putting shocks on the trailer will just about if not totally eliminate that problem. It eliminated it completely on my 2012 Flagstaff 8528RKWS and the kitchen is in the rear. We leave an icemaker and coffee pot on the rear counter and they never move. This summer we towed 3500 miles from Concord, NC to Goshen, IN-Moline, IL-Knoxville, IA-Trenton, MO-Lonoke, AR and back thru the full width of TN and no problems. Have also towed from NC to Orlando and back twice and no bounce even around Jacksonville, FL's race track (I95).
Old 10-12-2013, 10:16 PM   #8

Oldcoot - I think shocks are a great idea. Do you have the torsion axle like I have on my TT? If so is this an easy installation? I must confess I have not done any research on this so far.
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #9
phat phrog stunt crew

Yep, and those are the same ones who can NOT build a bridge and it's approach at the same height.

but we can put a man on the moon and bring him back

where are the engineers? jk engineers.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #10

road bounce

based on the response it sounds like a trailer (or trailer type) issue, that may be solved by shocks, air bags or get a different type trailer (suspension).
do we know if others have this same issue?
I can't tow this way knowing at some point the road is going to shake us up like milk shakes. It did do both of us in pretty good.
Gary
I'd like to see the shocks design also.
etcmss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post

but we can put a man on the moon and bring him back

where are the engineers? jk engineers.

Rocket science must be easier to implement........
Old 10-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmoses View Post
Oldcoot - I think shocks are a great idea. Do you have the torsion axle like I have on my TT? If so is this an easy installation? I must confess I have not done any research on this so far.
I have the Alko torsion axles and it is an easy install, but very laborious as far as fabricating the brackets, removing wheels, backing plate bolts, etc. Shocks were about $340. If you have metal fabrication available, it should not be too difficult. I designed and built mine in about 30-40 hrs start to finish. I have a new design that does not require removal of the backing plate bolts and fabricating (welding) the brackets. Neither design requires any welding on the trailer frame. The trailer mounts bolt to the 2 x 4 tubing and not the frame, so the frame is not altered in any way.