Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #1

8528 RKWS A/C Hows yours work

We were out in 95-98 degree daytime and 75 at night temps with high humidity this weekend on a site with no shade. We have the Diamond package with the tan exterior, and the larger 15000 a/c unit. Had the a/c on for 2 days. It works good early and late in the day but during the middle day it could only keep it 85 inside. All the trailers I have had in the past have been able to keep it comfy inside on hot days Is anybody else having a hard time keeping there coach cool?? Yes I kept all the window shades closed. The air felt cool coming out the vents. Should I have just opening the the fast cool down vent at the base of the unit? I would like to here from you guys from the South.

Sweating in Wisconsin
Paul J S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:55 AM   #2

Went out and "visited" mine with the wife yesterday. Was 102 outside and it was parked in an asphalt lot with obviously no shade. It does have the 15k ac unit. We were only inside for about an hour and it did cool down considerably. The air coming out was nice and cold. Not sure what the final temp was, but I'm sure after another hour or so it would of been comfortable. Unit is a 2013 831flss.
Wumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J S View Post
We were out in 95-98 degree daytime and 75 at night temps with high humidity this weekend on a site with no shade. We have the Diamond package with the tan exterior, and the larger 15000 a/c unit. Had the a/c on for 2 days. It works good early and late in the day but during the middle day it could only keep it 85 inside. All the trailers I have had in the past have been able to keep it comfy inside on hot days Is anybody else having a hard time keeping there coach cool?? Yes I kept all the window shades closed. The air felt cool coming out the vents. Should I have just opening the the fast cool down vent at the base of the unit? I would like to here from you guys from the South.

Sweating in Wisconsin
Hi Paul....Our TT has the 13,000 a/c unit. We've been sleeping in it for the past 3 nights because our A/C is broke in our house and our budget right now cannot swing the $3K to get a new unit. We've had the TT air on for 3 straight days now. And it had been working GREAT until yesterday. I got home from work at 4:30pm and it was 80 degrees inside the TT. That being said....it was 102 degrees outside!! I put the awning out and as the sun got less intense, the temp went down inside the TT. When it's 100 and extremely humid like we've been experiencing in Wisconsin these days, you cannot expect your TT to be 60 degrees inside. There is way too much heat gain in these units. By the time we went to bed, my DH was freezing.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #4

Once it gets above 100 with high humidity, just about any cooling system is going to be taxed. My house A/C unit hasn't shut off in two weeks now and during the heat of the afternoon cannot keep the house below 80, and it is fairly new and well insulated. Same with a camper, if they are out in the direct sun in 100 degree weather, it's going to be hard to keep them cool in the heat of the day.
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #5

I've been looking at the diamond package and wondering if the darker siding is going to make that much differece in heat gain. It says something about the roof coloring too? I'm assuming the darker tinted windows would help, but then I'm curious as to whether it makes it too dark in side. Our unit cools pretty well, but as all state, they can usually only do about a 20 degree drop compared to the external temperature and extra humidity doesn't help.
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjsas View Post
I've been looking at the diamond package and wondering if the darker siding is going to make that much differece in heat gain. It says something about the roof coloring too?
A very interesting point...I believe that the diamond package has dark brown roof and awnings.

We've recently had our camper (same model but Rockwood) with a 13.5K AC in weather in the low 90's in a open site and kept the inside at a comfortable 74.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags