Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #1

8528RSWS Island

Just got a new 2014 Flagstaff 8528RSWS 5th wheel. Unfortunately we won't be able to us it until spring. We ordered it with the diamond package. The island came with a wood top, not the corian, like the counters. I have a question in with the dealer but they are closed until mid Janurary. Does anyone else have this same package? If so, what came on top of the island, wood or corian?
If anyone has the 8528RSWS, any major issues?

Thanks
Don
DonCath25ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #2

Hey Don,

I am ordering the 2014 8528RSWS and wanted to see if you would provide an update on your wood top island table that should have been corian.

I read a post that noted the table left imprints in the laminate floor. Have you also noticed that issue? I am planning on getting a chair mat to place under the table to prevent that issue.

Also how are you liking the 5th wheel overall?

Thanks,
Harv
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCath25ds View Post
Just got a new 2014 Flagstaff 8528RSWS 5th wheel. Unfortunately we won't be able to us it until spring. We ordered it with the diamond package. The island came with a wood top, not the corian, like the counters. I have a question in with the dealer but they are closed until mid Janurary. Does anyone else have this same package? If so, what came on top of the island, wood or corian?

Thanks
Don
This unit, along with the Rockwood version 8282WS, stopped doing the Corian on the table with the 2014 model. The answers I received were due to weight, although I'm not sure I buy that.
I order a 8282WS in the spring of 2013 and took delivery in August. When mine arrived with the wood top, I made them change it back to Corian before I took delivery. I though it looked awful.

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:11 PM   #4

Hav

We have only stayed in it two nights but so far so good. They said that the reason for the wood top was to make the island lighter. The darn couch came apart while sleeping. I am sure the dealer will take care of that. Have not noticed dimpling on the floor yet but we are defiantly keeping an eye on it. D.W. made sure that nothing heavy went in the island.

Enjoy!
Old 04-05-2014, 02:24 PM   #5

Couch came apart while sleeping

Quote:
The darn couch came apart while sleeping. I am sure the dealer will take care of that.
Could you please provide more details on this. I likely have the same couch (sofa bed?) and would like to know what happened and what we might expect. Photos would be nice.
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Hav

We have only stayed in it two nights but so far so good. They said that the reason for the wood top was to make the island lighter. The darn couch came apart while sleeping. I am sure the dealer will take care of that. Have not noticed dimpling on the floor yet but we are defiantly keeping an eye on it. D.W. made sure that nothing heavy went in the island.

Enjoy!
Our couch cover started to split at the seems. Replaced by the dealer on first warranty visit.

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:58 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:

Thanks
Don
Don. I have the corian top in my 8282 and it is heavy. The wheels are mounted to the floor of the island and the walls are built around the floor, so the only thing holding the weight of the island is the brads and staples thru walls into floor. Very weak. My floor came up into the island and the wheels could not swivel. I had to beat the floor down into place and put 1x1 wood braces around the inside to keep the floor in place.
Second issue is, do not open slides with island wheels on slide carpets. It will pull the hem off the carpet edge. Had mine resewn twice.
So if the wood top looks OK, you may be better off with the reduced weight.
My drawer glides are screwed up on sofa. Leather is fine but the frame is weak. I added a few legs under it to prevent drooping. Love the floorplan tho. Enjoy yours.

Sent from David's RAZR M.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:42 AM   #8

Our camper is in storage so I can't get pics until next weekend. The sleeper sofa came apart where frame for the back and seat connect. It hinges there to unfold into a bed. I also heard about problems with the island floor. I cut some squares out of 1/2 inch plywood. Fastened the squares underneath to the corners of the base. Actually screwed to the side walls. Them attached wheels to the plywood. Sounds like I should reinforce island frame as well.

Other than that we love our new camper!