Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2016, 03:21 PM   #1

a/c

we have a 2016 flagstaff 8528rkws and the a/c doesn't seem to be cold enough, at night its ok but when it sit in the sun it has a hard time cooling the trailer and its not that hot out today is about 83 I thing it should have two a/c units on
striper44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:30 AM   #2
Site Team

Have you looked at the filter to see if it's clogged up?

Have you looked at the fins to make sure they're not blocked?

You may want to actually measure the difference between the intake and return air after the unit has been running for a little while. You're looking for about a 15ºF difference.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:23 AM   #3

I have the same issue with my 2015 26fkws
Checked all the obvious recommendations. I think we loose a lot of cooling thru the ducted system.
Im going to install a second a/c in my bedroom vent at the rear of the trailer.

07 Silverado Classic 2500 HD
15 Flagstaff 26fkws Emerald Edition
RiverPeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:42 AM   #4

I'm thinking I was gaining a lot of radiant heat energy working against the AC through the 3 roof vents and the skylight above my shower
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
I'm thinking I was gaining a lot of radiant heat energy working against the AC through the 3 roof vents and the skylight above my shower
DW made pillows from 2" foam rubber and covered them with some fabric. She also used some of the fabric as a shade for the shower skylight and holds it in place with velcro. The pillows come in handy keeping heat in when using the furnace too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0195.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	112564
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:24 AM   #6

On residential a/c you are looking for 18-22 deg difference in supply and return air. There are other factors to consider, but this is a good rule of thumb. The condenser temp is normally 30 deg rise across the coil.(harder to measure on RV) this also has other factors to consider. In my minimal camping experience if you set up in the middle or late afternoon sun(hot weather of course and 90 plus) it's gonna take a while to cool. The a/c units that are failing due to manufacturing defects...It is hard to tell failure from hot ambient. Check the temperature fall on the coil, keep all the filters/coils clean, run on high speed, limit the open/closing of the doors, try not to cook inside(baking/boiling stuff), use fan to assist in air movement, do not block air flow, keep interior doors open for air flow(where possible), cover windows with something when possible and any other thing you can think of.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote