Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2011, 04:00 AM   #1

Exclamation Advice needed - roof replacement

We recently took our 2006 Flagstaff 831 RLSS in to have it de-winterized and to have some other items checked/repaired and installed. I should add that we purchased this unit last fall from an individual - not the RV company doing the work.
I got home yesterday afternoon to find several calls from the RV tech and called him back.
The news:
The items we asked for were checked/repaired and installed.
I was told that the caulking on the roof was in bad shape and needed to be completely reapplied. I told him to go ahead with that.
The BAD news:
The tech informed me that the rubber roof has problems (I am going up today to see what they are - I'll add to this post when I find out) and needs to be completely replaced - their approximate cost - $4000! Needless to say my wife and I are "stunned".
The tech told me to contact my insurance company - they would possibly take care of the cost.
Has anybody else out there had this problem? If so and you had it repaired, how did it hold up?
gwvwadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:20 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwvwadc View Post
The tech informed me that the rubber roof has problems (I am going up today to see what they are - I'll add to this post when I find out) and needs to be completely replaced - their approximate cost - $4000! Needless to say my wife and I are "stunned".
The tech told me to contact my insurance company - they would possibly take care of the cost.
Has anybody else out there had this problem? If so and you had it repaired, how did it hold up?
Just like any non-elective surgery, I would get a second opinion.

If indeed your roof material is degraded (it happens), while the materials are expensive, it is the labor what runs the job up. Everything on the roof has to come off. All the screwed down material clamps (which are covered in goop) has to be removed and cleaned. The new material measured and cut and placed on the camper. Clamps reinstalled and caulked. Holes cut in it for all the penetrations. All the roof stuff reinstalled and caulked. Minimum of 2 days for 2 men at 125-150 bucks an hour.

I had my wife's car in for a "non-start" condition (ran the day before - would not start in the morning); no air conditioning; and a grinding noise in the brakes when braking at speed. The 1800 dollar quote took me by surprise as well. $600 for Ignition Module; $400 for AC condensor; and rear brakes and rotors. "Shocked" did not begin to cover it.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:21 PM   #3

My last camper was a 2006 and when I sold it a year ago the roof looked like new. How can the roof be shot so soon? And isn't there a 10 year warranty on it? I also think a second opinion is in order.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:33 PM   #4

Let's see now...they are in the business of repairing campers.
The economy sucks.
I would get a second opinion.
Jack
PS...this comes from someone that experienced the old Sears rip offs in the 70's and 80's...I don't trust anyone in the repair business except my mechanic of 13 years!

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:34 PM   #5

Our Rockwood has a 12 year warranty on the vinyl roof. Flagstaff should be the same. I would expect a reputable facility to be aware of that. I would get a second opinion. If it does need to be repaired, check with Forest River. Are you the original owner?

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:10 AM   #6

Update:
I had the tech show me what was going on. The roof still "looks" good to me, although the caulking did show some weatherization. He was trying to tell me that water may have gotten in under the roof material and that the luan layer underneath may be wet. This was based on one small spot that "feels" a little bit different than the surrounding area. He was also trying to tell me something about the fiberglass siding indicating water had gotten underneath. At this point, I REALLY began to wonder if we were getting ripped???????????????

My wife and I decided to have him caulk it good and we would think about it until fall when we get the rig winterized.

We didn't spend a LOT of money to purchase this rig from another individual and just don't feel like we want to go to this kind of expense (the cost to do this would be over 30% of what we paid for it). I should also add that the graphics are peeling (I know this is typical) - I asked for an estimate to replace them - was presented a bid for $2500. We figured that with both of these "estimates" we would be better off to keep the rig for a couple more years, sell it and possibly get something new. AND look for another dealer.
gwvwadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:10 AM   #7

"We figured that with both of these "estimates" we would be better off to keep the rig for a couple more years, sell it and possibly get something new. AND look for another dealer."
============================
That sounds like a very good plan.
If the graphics get really ugly, they can usually be removed fairly easily. Your camper would look a little plain, but sometimes that is better than peeling graphics that make the camper look older than it is.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:17 AM   #8

Getting a second or third opinon would be a good move. Finding a person (honest) that has the knowledge of what needs to be done ,without getting ripped off .. Good luck
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:25 AM   #9

Almost all of the roof have places on them that look more like the are 'bubbling' up and are a little soft. I am sure you have no problem.
The caulking looks a little dirty...that is normal.
Glad you ran from this so called repair shop.
Our graphics are also peeling...Forest River sells them, it would have cost in the $350.00 range for the decals from what I remember! (Just the decals, not labor.)
Jack

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote