Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #1

Any 829bhss issues? Thinking about buying one

Hello all! I'm new to the forum, just found it tonight. Lots of great info already found.

I do have a general overall question. Last year we bought a 98 coleman popup with a abs roof. Well after purchasing, I noticed hairline cracks. After researching, this is typical and leads to delamation of the roof cover. So, after saying that, is there anything that these trailers are know for, bad wise? I'm looking at a 2006, 829bhss. It appears to be in great condition. The person is asking 8900.00. Is this a good price, appears to be from the looking I've done on the internet. Also, the guy said it weighs approx. 5150 pounds? Is this correct. I looked in my 02 yukon xl 1/2ton owners manual and it say's that I can safely pull 7600 pounds. Does anybody pull one of these with a 1500 series truck/suburban?

I know I have lots of questions, but after my popup purchase, I'm doing my research this time, LOL. I hate learning the expensive way!!

Thanks all in advance,

Phil
pavery1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:51 PM   #2

Hi Phil,

Welcome to FRF.

Some of the '06 Fagstaff/Rockwood trailers had delamination problems. It was caused by an improper glue applied between the Luan and Filon surfaces.
Do a thorough check of the sidewall before you buy. Look for bumps or any raised area, especially above the slide-out. If you do a search on these forums for " delamination ", you'll find some photos of this problem.

Also, you'll find that the trailer will weigh more than what the seller is telling you. The unloaded weight is a bit over 6000 Lbs.
I towed my previous trailer(8315SS), with my present vehicle(see signature), which weighed about 7000 Lbs. when loaded for camping.
Whatever you tow this trailer with, you'll need a good quality weight distribution hitch with built-in sway control.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #3

Thanks Mike!

I will look at that delamination on the side walls.

So your z71 is a 1/2 ton truck? That sounds great it the one I'm looking at is 6000. Prob. be about the same as yours packed, 7000.

I know what laun is, but what is filon, is that the exterior. I thought I read some where on this form that the exterior was fiberglass?

Thanks for the reply.

Phil
pavery1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavery1500 View Post
Thanks Mike!

I know what laun is, but what is filon, is that the exterior. I thought I read some where on this form that the exterior was fiberglass?

Thanks for the reply.

Phil
Filon is the outer skin.

Filon: Fiberglass sheeting used in RVs with fiberglass sidewall construction. For additional info about fiberglass sidewalls visit Crane Composites, Inc. || Exterior Sidewalls Panels for Recreational Vehicle
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:37 AM   #5

Do you still have towing questions? I am current owner of 2008 829bhss and use a 2006 Tahoe to pull it.
campclanlouisa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff