Old 05-01-2009, 08:57 AM   #11

Cool, Power stabilizer jacks sound awesome. I think we might need pictures of that.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:54 AM   #12
medney

Flagstaff 831FKSS

I have a 2008 Flagstaff 831FKSS and have had a lot of problems with it (After the warranty ran out out of course). Maybe I was just unlucky with this one. Roof leaked and ruined countertops in kitchen, concerttone radio will not come on anymore, gray water valve is stuck in on position, welds are broke on rear bumper, have had to replace screws on most cabinet hinges, there is a short in the electrical system somewhere that i can't find, and some other problems i can't think of right now. I am trading next weekend for a 2009 Salem 30QBSS.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:44 AM   #13

Greetings to All! The Boss and I just purchased a 2011 831RLSS as our first TT. We have been tent campers and sailboat campers for years, but needed a second home. We'll be towing to Mexico with a 2001 Lincoln Navigator 4wd and setting up on a permanent campground site. As it will primarily be the two of us, the 831RLSS floor plan was as close to perfect as we could find. The Boss loves the large living room and feels the kitchen size is adequate. We'll see, as we are taking delivery tomorrow and then going to Townsend, TN (just outside the Smokey Mtn. Park) for a two day shake-down. Stay tuned sports fans, this is liable to get interesting...
Old 02-16-2011, 02:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alelkins View Post
Greetings to All! The Boss and I just purchased a 2011 831RLSS as our first TT. We have been tent campers and sailboat campers for years, but needed a second home. We'll be towing to Mexico with a 2001 Lincoln Navigator 4wd and setting up on a permanent campground site. As it will primarily be the two of us, the 831RLSS floor plan was as close to perfect as we could find. The Boss loves the large living room and feels the kitchen size is adequate. We'll see, as we are taking delivery tomorrow and then going to Townsend, TN (just outside the Smokey Mtn. Park) for a two day shake-down. Stay tuned sports fans, this is liable to get interesting...
Welcome from another 2011 831RLBSS owner.

Start a thread in the welcome section to introduce yourself though, this one is getting on 3 years old....oh yeah, post some pics too!

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #15

Have had a 2009 831RLSS for a little over a year. VERY happy with it, especially how the dealer and factory have handled warranty issues. Had a roof leak that took 2 trips to the dealer to resolve. Found defective chair that the chair supplier resolved by shipping 2 new chairs since the original fabric was no longer in use - IS THAT TERRIFIC OR WHAT? Finally the slide out carpet started to fray and since the dealer I purchased the unit from was out of business, the folks at Forrest River warranty claims department sent me to the closest FR dealer. They replaced the whole carpet with no question. I am absolutely pleased with the Forest River response to the rather minor difficulties I have had. Only negatives I have observed after a year are the "shaky-ness" of the unit when someone walks around. We have the base corner jacks that do not do a very stabilizing job. The steps also could use a little improvement. I place a couple of wooden blocks under the steps when they are extended and that seems to help. We have spent over 100 nights in the unit so far and have totally enjoyed the experience.

Ed
Old 03-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebhotten View Post
Only negatives I have observed after a year are the "shaky-ness" of the unit when someone walks around. We have the base corner jacks that do not do a very stabilizing job. The steps also could use a little improvement. I place a couple of wooden blocks under the steps when they are extended and that seems to help. We have spent over 100 nights in the unit so far and have totally enjoyed the experience.

Ed
Ed,
Do you use a good set of wheel "locks" such as the:
Bal X-Chocks
Amazon.com: BAL 28010 X-Chock Tire Locking Chock: Automotive
Or the Ultra-Fab (I use a set of these...)
Amazon.com: Ultra Fab Deluxe Chock & Lock - Pair: Automotive

Almost eliminates the sway while camped!

John
Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalik282 View Post
Ed,
Do you use a good set of wheel "locks" such as the:
Bal X-Chocks
Amazon.com: BAL 28010 X-Chock Tire Locking Chock: Automotive
Or the Ultra-Fab (I use a set of these...)
Amazon.com: Ultra Fab Deluxe Chock & Lock - Pair: Automotive

Almost eliminates the sway while camped!

John
Hey John,
Appreciate the thoughts. We have not tried the X-Chock but will sure look into them. Last summer was our first in this unit and what a set up from pop-ups and a Hybrid. I did try wedging the orange plastic blocks and wood blocks between the wheels to no avail. I was figuring on trying a set of the screw jack type stabilizers on each end, but will sure try your suggestion first. Thanks again for your suggestion.

Ed
Old 10-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #18

We have owned a 2012 831RLBSS for a couple years now and we love it.
My first TT was a used smaller Layton Lite - while it was a good trailer we needed something bigger.

Pros
1. Rear Lounge is awesome - very comfortable - we opted for the Lazy Boy leather recliners.
2. Love the dual entry doors - I can take the dog outside early in the morning and not disturb my sleeping bride!
3. Bathroom is nice - a lot more room than what we were used to in the Layton.
4. I find the bed pretty comfortable - we opted for the Serta mattress and I sleep better there than I do at home.
5. We also went with the free standing dinette - it works really well if you get a couple of extra visitors.

Cons
1. There is a squeak in the floor in the rear lounge area that drives me crazy - I have no idea if anything can be done about it.
2. The awning - the wind catches and shakes it - I bought tie out stakes with guy lines and even that didn't help very much. Just seems to be too much play in it.
3. Storage - it would be nice to have more room to store stuff, but that is the trade-off for a rear lounge I guess - we make it work.

Overall we have been very satisfied with it, mechanically we have had no major issues with it, and I noted that some of the people have had problems with some elements of the home theater system , I would just like to add that ours has worked great.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #19

We just bought our 2012 831 RLBSS on the 14th of Sept. and we love it. It was a step up from a Jayco 23FB. What a world of difference! The camper pulls great and the fact it is so light for a camper that size was a real plus for me. I pull it with a 2009 F150 5.4 and with no problems. We live in east TN so we have plent of mountain roads to test it on and it does great. Like some of the other post it would have been nice to have a little more storage under the camper but the room inside is worth it. Like from the post above it does seem to have a lot of shake when it is setup. I will look at the BAL XChock. All in all we are totally pleased with the camper and look forward to many years of great camping in it.

Alan and Deb
Old 11-02-2012, 01:19 AM   #20

We love ours also just go it in May. Started with a 27ft wildwood with no slides as for the shaking when the slides are out what I do is use the slide out locks on the outside instead of buying the slideout jacks works great

Tags
flagstaff