Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2011, 10:56 PM   #1

Awww nuts!

Went out to the TT in the driveway today to open it up.

I went to flick on the lights and to my surprise, nothin'. Nada. Zip.

I open the slide and walk over to the breaker and fuse panel. Inside, theres a red led next to one of the 15 A fuses.

Odd.

The trailer is not much more than a couple months old.

I swap out the fuse and everything works just fine. Must have been a bad fuse.

End of the day comes and I start to pull in the slide.

Just before it reaches the end of it's travel, I hear a "POP".

Hmmmmm......I click the lights on and:

Nothin'. Nada. Zip.

Yup, that pop was the fuse blowing.

Brand new trailer, never been out of the driveway, ZX700 Concertone acting up and now it appears the slide has pinched of chaffed a wire right though.

That slide has only been opened and closed MAYBE 15-20 times.

Now I've gotta cawl under the thing and look for wiring problems, most likely in the rain (it's that time of year here)

We really like the trailer for fit/finnish and appointments, but this does not bode well for long term reliability.

Yeesh.........I feel like throwing up when I think about what we paid for this thing and the problems it's had so far.....

We haven't even had water in the tanks or flushed the toilet yet......

What's next?

Water leaks?

Delaminating fiberglass?

leaking plumbing?

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:00 PM   #2

Is this an electric slide motor? If so it is very common to be a bit underpowered. I would first suspect a loose connection. Remember all RV's have teething problems. Mine was in the shop several times during the first year. Many things I fixed myself because I just did not want to fight the dealer. In the process I learned more than enough to fix almost everything myself. Heck with dealers.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
Is this an electric slide motor? If so it is very common to be a bit underpowered. I would first suspect a loose connection. Remember all RV's have teething problems. Mine was in the shop several times during the first year. Many things I fixed myself because I just did not want to fight the dealer. In the process I learned more than enough to fix almost everything myself. Heck with dealers.
It's not the motor, it's the wiring that goes to the lights in the slide.

I'm more than capable of fixing anything that could go wrong with the rig and when I fix something it will be better than factory.

I just find it quite unacceptable to pay near 40 grand for something this simple and have these kind of quality issues.

I usually turn down the extended warraty packages, but I'm glad I bought a 7 year bumper to bumper extended warranty on this thing.......

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white View Post
I just find it quite unacceptable to pay near 40 grand for something this simple and have these kind of quality issues.
It really doesn't matter how much you spend or who the manufacturer is. Unfortunately the RV Industry as a whole has not taken Quality Issues serious enough so their customer don't have to deal with all the problems. If you look through the forums, this one and any others you'll see the same issues posted by customers of Winnebago, Damon, Holiday Rambler and on and on. It's no different with dealers, some are exceptional and others are not. Good luck in locating your wiring problem and let us know what you find. It could help someone down the line when the same thing occurs with their RV.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote