Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2015, 09:53 AM   #61

Backup Camera

Bought a new Surveyor, short style 220RBS, and it is prewired for a Furion camera. I read that for best resolution one should buy the Furion model with 48 in the number instead of 12. Granted more expensive but sales person told me that FR only wires these pre-wired units to the backup feature of your tow vehicle. So would require rewiring the unit but that would also void warranty?? Just read on one string that they are wired to running lights instead. Does anyone know for certain as didn't want to put out the $$ just to test???
HappycamperJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:29 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnP View Post
You can order directly from furrion.com for $399. I purchased mine from Cedar Creek when my 5th wheel was built for $275. There may be other online dealers that sell cheaper than Furrion.
On another posting a fellow said that he traded the Furion 12 for a Furion 48 that is much better than the one that comes from Forest River. So, if you are going to buy from Furion ask about the upgrade to the 48 model. It supposedly has better reception and less drop outs.
floridela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:36 PM   #63

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...t.php?p=959775
Gmar60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:37 PM   #64

Backup Camera

Thanks for the response. I will check on that. Also my sales person said it was only wired as a backup camera on my 220RBS? Does anyone know how to change that so it also works looking back behind while in drive???
Old 11-09-2015, 12:04 AM   #65

Back up Camera?

When re wired to running lights, the camera is operable whenever lights are on. Mine works perfectly.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:58 AM   #66

good morning, i just purchased a 2016 3875fb a few weeks ago an my wife an i love it. i read your post about the back up camera can you send me some pics with your set up please? i have not found any prewireing on my camper. the only place i can find to put one is on the tag bracket an wire into the tag light. thank you. mike
mikepf5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:34 AM   #67

Smile Backup Camera

Hi there,
Welcome to another pleased forest river buyer. If pre-wired like mine, there is a little black box on the back of TT center top-see attached pic if I did this attachment correct. The box is removed and camera is simple plug and play and synced with dash mount monitor-wired only for backup use-plugged to cig lighter. Wired internally to front 7 pin connector. Another response from an owner is that he afterwards rewired by capturing running lights wiring supposedly accessed behind this black box base plate. This allows operation continuous but you also need the better optics furion camera, additional $100.

If you don't have prewired you can buy different camera mfg., but do pay attention, as you know sometimes a steal of a deal is really not a deal after all. additional concern is of course power of antennae transmission, based on length from back of TT to dash.

ps, waiting for spring to purchase mine...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Surveyor-4.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	98136  
Old 01-22-2016, 09:34 AM   #68

Thanks for the response, my 5th wheel don't have that plate on it. The running lights are the small bullet led so no way you get power from them, the only place I see for power is the tag light. The place for the tag is molded into the rear of the unit right in the middle.
mikepf5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:41 AM   #69

Sure. Good look
Old 01-22-2016, 07:56 PM   #70

Yeah, mine was pre wired also. Might be able to pull clearance bullet light off trailer to splice in for power?
Old 01-29-2016, 08:21 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
Let me enlighten everyone on the Furrion camera systems. There are TWO different ones. The standard Forest River one (the one that came with my 2016 Wildcat) is the one mentioned many times in this thread. It has a 12 in the model number and is referred to as a backup camera. It's a fair backup camera but a horrible moving observation cam system. Since FR wires them for full time hot, not just on for backing, you may think they would be a good pseudo rear view mirror to monitor rear traffic while towing. Not so! You need the Furrion model with 48 in the model number. It's their "Observation Camera". Fits the same FR mounts but uses a better cam and better monitor. It cost a $100 more but the resolution and performance is worth it. It's an easy 5 min swap to change a 12 for a 48. I did the switch and am very glad. Check out Furrion.com
Wireless Observation System - FURRION
hbillsmith.......do you still like & recommend the Furrion 48 model? I'm reading all the posts on the cameras and seeing all the negative comments. If you're still happy with yours, I may give it a shot.....thanks in advance.
SophieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:53 AM   #72
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I have now traveled about 9,000 miles with the Wildcat and yes, I still like the Furrion camera. It has performed as expected. I too still see the negative comments and most if not all appear to be slams against the original Forest River factory shipped model 12. The 12 worked ok for just viewing the rear as I backed in but that's its limit and honestly, I really don't use the rear backin function (neither with the 12 or 48). Although it works as advertised, I am old fashion and having a spotter is more natural for me when I backup.

For me, it was being able to see who's following me so I could decide to pull over and let faster folks pass that was important. I really like the 48 as it does that for me. I will say, the lens angle is very wide so cars behind me appear further away than they are but you get used to that.

The wide angle also lets me keep an eye on the rear bicycle rack. I can see if the cover comes loose or if they are bouncing to much (in which case I pull over and re-tighten).
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:02 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValMelton View Post
don't bother with the camera. we have the 5th wheel surveyor that came with the camera and it is completely useless. it only points straight down shows the bumper and about one foot out from the bumper and will not adjust out to be usable
Not so. There are 3 clicks of adjustment. The lowest click points straight down. The highest click points out about 50 yards behind the trailer but because of the wide angle, you can still see anything mounted on the bumper.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
Old 01-31-2016, 07:28 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
I have now traveled about 9,000 miles with the Wildcat and yes, I still like the Furrion camera. It has performed as expected. I too still see the negative comments and most if not all appear to be slams against the original Forest River factory shipped model 12. The 12 worked ok for just viewing the rear as I backed in but that's its limit and honestly, I really don't use the rear backin function (neither with the 12 or 48). Although it works as advertised, I am old fashion and having a spotter is more natural for me when I backup.

For me, it was being able to see who's following me so I could decide to pull over and let faster folks pass that was important. I really like the 48 as it does that for me. I will say, the lens angle is very wide so cars behind me appear further away than they are but you get used to that.

The wide angle also lets me keep an eye on the rear bicycle rack. I can see if the cover comes loose or if they are bouncing to much (in which case I pull over and re-tighten).
Thank you hbillsmith for your help. I too, would use this camera for the same reasons you do and think this would be a great addition to our new Rockwood. I do have one more question....the brochure on the 12 that came in our paperwork packet said it was a "plug & play" 15 min. installation. Does the 48 install the same way....."plug & play" with nothing else needed to make it work such as changing wiring? Thank you again for your help!
SophieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:38 AM   #75

The 12 and 48 use the identical mounting bracket and wiring connectors. If you have a 12 already installed, then you simply remove the 4 screws that attach the camera body to the mount plate that's installed on the back of your trailer. Unplug the 12's two wires and plug in the 48's two wires in the same manner as the 12's were. Now use those same 4 screws to re-attach the camera.

For some, the trailer arrives new from the factory with only mount bracket installed and a dummy cover attached in place of where the camera will mount. When you remove the dummy cover (it uses the same 4 screws as does the camera) you'll see the two power wires loose behind the dummy cover. The camera's wire connectors only match one way so you just plug them in and now attach the camera in place of the dummy cover. Use the same screws if you like.

Some final thoughts. The camera angle is adjustable. It's stiff but does rotate up or down about 3 clicks as I recall. With your monitor powered up in your tow vehicle, it should already be paired to the camera. If not, the process to pair is in the manual. I'll give it a stab from memory to repeat here. At the bottom of the camera in the center is a black button. Press that button and quickly choose 'Pair' on the monitor. After a few minutes, the pairing completes and the monitor begins showing the camera's view. You will probably not need to do this pairing since the factory usually pairs the set before the ship it and it's a one-time needed action. But just in case ... ;-).
Old 01-31-2016, 07:36 PM   #76

Just bought the 48 off amazon. Will install in the next couple weeks. Have a trip scheduled for first of March. Will let you know my results soon. Hoping for the best. Figuring about 48' distance between monitor and camera.
Grisham91402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:15 PM   #77

I just put my GoPro up there
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1454706870.723179.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	98985Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1454706911.060448.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	98986
Old 02-22-2016, 09:36 PM   #78

I have a wireless back up camera on my Excursion that I added, one of the license plate ones. I wonder if it will conflict with this camera? I have a great 6" monitor, it'd be great if I could have a way to use both on this monitor. Not at the same time, but toggling back and forth, etc.
Ranger431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:09 AM   #79

Furrion cameras

There are two distinct models from Furrion. One is backup and other is observation.
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:13 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger431 View Post
I have a wireless back up camera on my Excursion that I added, one of the license plate ones. I wonder if it will conflict with this camera? I have a great 6" monitor, it'd be great if I could have a way to use both on this monitor. Not at the same time, but toggling back and forth, etc.
Furrion uses standard cmos vga cameras.
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back up camera