Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2014, 03:52 AM   #1

Batteries......Life of your trip!

When I bought my 21FBRS it came with an inexpensive Interstate 12V battery. I did not pay a lot of attention to it except to check fluid levels and for case condition/leaks. When I was working on the nuclear powerhouse in Augusta, GA the whole area lost power due to severe ice storms; power lines down for days, some areas for weeks. My little Interstate 12V battery lasted about half a day. Not good in minus degree weather which means no power for the heat to function. I asked lots of "OLD SALTS," experienced TT campers and RVers about batteries, even asked the engineers at the nuclear plant. Battery life or power depends on the battery(s), age, size, maker, output (cold cranking amps). CCA is the rating used to state how long a battery will function. This is what matters! My little Interstate Battery that came with my camper functioned as stated..very little! I also learned that a true deep cycle battery weights a ton due to all the lead used in its construction. After all my research, I now have two golf cart 6V batteries in my camper; great Trojan batteries. Like the golf carts seen being used and charged daily, they last and last through heavy use and re-charging. I can last 4-6 days on battery power pending what' turned on.
I did this thread so people will look at their battery better that I did. When you need it to work, I hope it does.
Toyota Tundra
SparkeyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:52 AM   #2

How well do those small solar trickle charge panels work? Would that be enough to keep the battery to a level where it extends a little life?
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:44 AM   #3

Solar help is on the way

I have ordered a solar booster to use when I can't plug in to electrical power. The one I bought has the option of adding additional solar panels; plug in additional ones. These go on the roof, from Camping World.
Toyota Tundra
SparkeyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slympicins View Post
How well do those small solar trickle charge panels work? Would that be enough to keep the battery to a level where it extends a little life?
I suggest you determine how much charging you need to bring your battery(s) up full each day each person has to decide based on their own planned use. There are many, many discussions on this forum about this subject, type solar in the green search box above.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:19 AM   #5

Any recommendations as to the best company to get the batteries,size output from for a large tt and what is the best amount ( is 2 6v enough, or 4 what you want to have)
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:32 AM   #6

Our TT sat for a few months in the cold with the battery still on the front. When we picked it up last week we still had a full charge.
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery