Old 06-22-2018, 11:48 AM   #1

Battery drain

Hello folks. We've been busy 'dialing in' our new 8529IKBS but have noticed the house battery drains to dead in just a couple days of no use and not being plugged in. This doesn't seem 'normal'. Was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what they found that was causing the rapid draining of the battery.

dieseldodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:10 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

There are many parasitic draws on the battery when not plugged into shore power
(CO detector, radio/entertainment center, some level system, etc) that will draw your battery completely dead within a few days. Hopefully your battery is still OK.

You should have a battery disconnect switch located in the front compartment to disconnect the battery when in storage.

Did your dealer not point out this important component during the PDI/Customer Orientation?

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=21
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:24 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldodge View Post
Hello folks. We've been busy 'dialing in' our new 8529IKBS but have noticed the house battery drains to dead in just a couple days of no use and not being plugged in. This doesn't seem 'normal'. Was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what they found that was causing the rapid draining of the battery.
It is normal if you don't use a battery disconnect switch or keep it plugged into shore power.
As 5picker said, there are numerous power drains on modern RVs.
If you don't practice either methods, you'll have dead batteries if a few days.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:58 PM   #4

LOL! Once the dealer was convinced he had removed every dollar he could from our wallet, all he was interested in was our signature that we had our 'demo', however brief. I was afraid that this was in fact 'normal' for 'modern' RV's.

Doesn't look too good for doing much 'dry' camping. We've had fifth wheels in the past that could go weeks without being plugged in, they obviously didn't have all the parasites this unit does.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:21 AM   #5

I really had to search around for the battery disconnect switch. It's underneath the propane cover and attached to the frame. I've included my example in the photos with explanations for each photo. https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...lbums3248.html Thanks for the thread. I found this switch.
MDHEBERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:52 AM   #6

I don't have a lot of experience with solar panels, but I made a bracket in order to mounted an 18 watt panel to our pin box. I have no idea if that will be enough to feed all the parasites these new RV's seem to have and actually charge the battery as well.

There are many nice parks in our area that do not have power. Would be nice to visit some of them without needing to dig out the generator all the time.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:55 AM   #7

Maybe you have bad batteries. Our Rv was "brand new" when we got it, but built a year before, so the batteries went bad and Forest River did replace them for us.

Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, drain