Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2017, 11:05 PM   #1
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

Bike Carrier Option

I have a Micro Lite travel trailer with the ladder bike rack option. I do not like the way it mounts and how the bikes sit. As an alternate option I bought the Bike Bunk for the A-frame and it is great. Carries two bikes. I am wanting to be able to carry two more. I have heard so many nightmare stories about rear bumpers breaking off due to weight of those type of carrier add-ons. Any tips on options? How can I tell if my bumper is already reinforced and connected to frame properly to handle added weight? Can this be done by an rv dealer as a legitimate upgrade option? I’m all about safety.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:56 PM   #2
Site Team

I can tell you tha your Flagstaff is an ultralight and the bumper is thin metal with weak welds.
You should have a sticker or paper that says anything on the bumper, other than the tire, will possibly void the warranty.

The only way to possibly do it, is to have a receiver welded and braced to the frame and bumper.
But doing this mod may void the frame warranty if anything goes bad.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I can tell you tha your Flagstaff is an ultralight and the bumper is thin metal with weak welds.
You should have a sticker or paper that says anything on the bumper, other than the tire, will possibly void the warranty.

The only way to possibly do it, is to have a receiver welded and braced to the frame and bumper.
But doing this mod may void the frame warranty if anything goes bad.
Thanks for the heads up on that...didn't think of the warranty.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:37 AM   #4

I am now looking at installing a front hitch on Silverado...any negatives on that?

Old 11-29-2017, 03:26 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchmarks View Post
I am now looking at installing a front hitch on Silverado...any negatives on that?
I've seen several along our travels.
As long as it didn't impede the view or block any amount of airflow to the grill, I think they work fine. Plenty others are using them so they must be OK.

You could always do something like this...

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:50 PM   #6

Contact Flagstaff to see if they have an existing solution. Some of Forest River's divisions have bolt-on carriers, which shouldn't void any warranty.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:55 PM   #7
Always Learning

Why not go to the truck's roof? Might need a couple-step step stool to get up there, but there are many tried and true racks for it.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:56 PM   #8

There are also carriers, which mount on the tongue.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:01 PM   #9

Jack-It works for me...

https://www.lci1.com/jack-it

windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:35 PM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post
There are also carriers, which mount on the tongue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfdog View Post
Jack-It works for me...
https://www.lci1.com/jack-it
benchmarks (the original poster) is already doing that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchmarks
As an alternate option I bought the Bike Bunk for the A-frame and it is great. Carries two bikes. I am wanting to be able to carry two more.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post
Contact Flagstaff to see if they have an existing solution. Some of Forest River's divisions have bolt-on carriers, which shouldn't void any warranty.
Will do...at the time of purchase the only bike carrier they advertised with this unit was just the ladder one. Junk.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I've seen several along our travels.
As long as it didn't impede the view or block any amount of airflow to the grill, I think they work fine. Plenty others are using them so they must be OK.

You could always do something like this...

Thanks for vote....I will look into seeing about it.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Why not go to the truck's roof? Might need a couple-step step stool to get up there, but there are many tried and true racks for it.
I have a truck cap with rails and have thought about mounting bikes up there.....but I keep thinking that, but am concerned about it being to high. hmmm.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchmarks View Post
I have a Micro Lite travel trailer with the ladder bike rack option. I do not like the way it mounts and how the bikes sit. As an alternate option I bought the Bike Bunk for the A-frame and it is great. Carries two bikes. I am wanting to be able to carry two more. I have heard so many nightmare stories about rear bumpers breaking off due to weight of those type of carrier add-ons. Any tips on options? How can I tell if my bumper is already reinforced and connected to frame properly to handle added weight? Can this be done by an rv dealer as a legitimate upgrade option? I’m all about safety.

There is a thread in the A-Frame forum detailing a nice solution. It involves some modifications that an amateur welder can complete.
carlsbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:45 PM   #15

Tin foil bumper

I have a 2018 Rockwood that I found to be the best built TT around when compared to the others. I am very satisfied so far.

Given that, the rear "bumper" is really only a sewer hose holder. It is obvious these TT bumpers do not pass any type of crash or bump test.

My spare is bolted to the bumper which concerns me. Since the tire bounces and twists the bumper, long term metal fatigue at the welds is something I keep checking.

I asked my dealer if there is a FR approved bike rack available. His response was a bumper bolt on which he did not recommend.

He also told me any aftermarket Frame weld-Ons would void any structural warranties.

Really FR? Certainly there should be some profitable, stable, bike rack option for your TTs that wouldn't dump your bikes on I-95 at 65mph.

I can't bolt to the tongue area due to already at my limit on tongue weight. Three bikes plus a rack would add a lot of weight where I don't want it.

I like the front of truck mount concept, but see problems with visibility and turning radius in gas stations, cramped RV parks, etc. I will explore that more.

The only current solution I can figure is continue keeping bikes in the back of the truck until the warranty runs out. I have already spoken to a local fab shop to make a real, reinforced, strong, rear bumper and replace the tin foil sewer holder.

Still hoping FR comes up with something...
DABoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DABoat View Post
I have a 2018 Rockwood that I found to be the best built TT around when compared to the others. I am very satisfied so far.

Given that, the rear "bumper" is really only a sewer hose holder. It is obvious these TT bumpers do not pass any type of crash or bump test.

My spare is bolted to the bumper which concerns me. Since the tire bounces and twists the bumper, long term metal fatigue at the welds is something I keep checking.

I asked my dealer if there is a FR approved bike rack available. His response was a bumper bolt on which he did not recommend.

He also told me any aftermarket Frame weld-Ons would void any structural warranties.

Really FR? Certainly there should be some profitable, stable, bike rack option for your TTs that wouldn't dump your bikes on I-95 at 65mph.

I can't bolt to the tongue area due to already at my limit on tongue weight. Three bikes plus a rack would add a lot of weight where I don't want it.

I like the front of truck mount concept, but see problems with visibility and turning radius in gas stations, cramped RV parks, etc. I will explore that more.

The only current solution I can figure is continue keeping bikes in the back of the truck until the warranty runs out. I have already spoken to a local fab shop to make a real, reinforced, strong, rear bumper and replace the tin foil sewer holder.

Still hoping FR comes up with something...
FWIW, This has been our choice......love being able to keep an eye on the bikes......I've not experienced the problems you suggest.......again, FWIW
Old 12-16-2017, 07:26 PM   #17

benchmark:

See attached thread, Post #2, for what I had put on my Roo 19, and Post #12 for what's on my Mini-Lite.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...oo-107358.html

Everyone "worries" about frame warranty, but I believe my frame is better now than before. No issues with my Roo 19 after 3 yrs; no issues with my Mini Lite after 3 years.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:45 PM   #18
Site Team

DABoat, I don't think you'll find any other manufacturers of ultralight trailers, that will any beefier bumper.
It's what you get with an ultralight trailer, no matter who makes it.
If you wanted something stronger, you need to get a non-ultralight trailer.
They are heavier but have stronger frames.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:16 PM   #19

Good point

Bikendan,

Good point on the ultralight concept. Adding beefy bumpers would sort of be contradictory.

However, I had a 2000 Wilderness 31GL and a 2015 Keystone before my Rockwood with the same toy bumper. That seems to be a common factor on many models.
DABoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike