Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #1
Camper Less Camping

Bike Rack for Superlite 5'vers

Since the rear bumpers on these units can't support the weight, has anyone installed/mounted a hitch to the frame to carry a bike rack? Any pros and cons in doing this...any alternatives to carry bikes that work better than the rear bike rack method for the superlite fifth wheels?

Old 06-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun
Since the rear bumpers on these units can't support the weight, has anyone installed/mounted a hitch to the frame to carry a bike rack? Any pros and cons in doing this...any alternatives to carry bikes that work better than the rear bike rack method for the superlite fifth wheels?
Con / frame warranty is void if anything is attached or mounted to frame.

Front mount hitch for tow vehicle with bike rack
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #3

I have a receiver hitch on the back of our Rockwood. I don't use it for a bicycle rack, I use it for our generator carrier, but would certainly work as well with a bike carrier.

You will want to make sure that you do it right. Don't have someone "who knows how to weld" install it. Precautions are necessary for the light weight I-beam frames these units have. Many have Lippert frames, our Rockwood has a Dexter frame and the receiver hitch was installed by an authorized frame repair facility for Dexter.

In my case they notched the frame and integrated the hitch into the frame with reinforcements along the web. You will get many comments that it cannot be done safely, but I have had no issues with ours.

Good luck.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
...frame warranty is void if anything is attached or mounted to frame....

Every time this topic comes up, someone says this, but it simply is not true. The Magnson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits the automatic voiding of manufacturer warranties by the installation of after market items. The failure/claim must be directly caused by the aftermarket item and then it only invalidates that claim, not the entire warranty.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
Old 06-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn5995

Every time this topic comes up, someone says this, but it simply is not true. The Magnson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits the automatic voiding of manufacturer warranties by the installation of after market items. The failure/claim must be directly caused by the aftermarket item and then it only invalidates that claim, not the entire warranty.
Here's my take Glenn.
Fr has the right to void frame warranty if its been
1) cut
2) welded
3) drilled

Those 3 things have nothing to with aftermarkert add ons. Thus negating your claim.

You can add any aftermarket item you choose just don't use methods 1 thru 3
Old 06-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #6

That is the whole point of the Magnson-Moss Warranty Act, manufacturers cannot just void warranties because of a modification or add-on. The modification or add-on must have caused the failure.

Although FR may handle a warranty claim as a courtesy to their customers, the warranty is from the frame manufacturer. When FR receives the frame, they cut, weld and drill into it to accomodate each floor plan. By your standard the frame warranty was void when the unit was purchased, because it had been modified after it was manufactured.

I am not trying to start a debate, all I am saying is the Magnson-Moss Act offers protection from blanket voiding of warranties. Obviously if I weld a hitch on and the frame cracks at the welds or the hitch tears off, it will not be covered, but just because I weld a hitch on, does not mean that if I have problems with welds failing at the pin box and the welds are determined to be incorrect does not mean it they can automatically void the claim because of the hitch.

As I stated in my first post, it should be approached cautiously and not performed by someone who just knows how to weld, but by someone experienced in frame fabrication and repair.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
Old 06-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #7

I'll try a get a picture here in Germany. Looks like every camper comes with a bike rack built on camper. Looks like it bolts on like the ladder on our campers. It's up high on back of camper.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn5995
That is the whole point of the Magnson-Moss Warranty Act, manufacturers cannot just void warranties because of a modification or add-on. The modification or add-on must have caused the failure.

Although FR may handle a warranty claim as a courtesy to their customers, the warranty is from the frame manufacturer. When FR receives the frame, they cut, weld and drill into it to accomodate each floor plan. By your standard the frame warranty was void when the unit was purchased, because it had been modified after it was manufactured.

I am not trying to start a debate, all I am saying is the Magnson-Moss Act offers protection from blanket voiding of warranties. Obviously if I weld a hitch on and the frame cracks at the welds or the hitch tears off, it will not be covered, but just because I weld a hitch on, does not mean that if I have problems with welds failing at the pin box and the welds are determined to be incorrect does not mean it they can automatically void the claim because of the hitch.

As I stated in my first post, it should be approached cautiously and not performed by someone who just knows how to weld, but by someone experienced in frame fabrication and repair.
I know exactly what your saying Glenn.
And I agree with you 100%

I'm just warning the op that it may be nearly impossible to get fr or lippert to warranty a frame that has been modified from oe specs without a lengthy law suit and overpriced lawyers from installing a bike rack on said camper.
Although not right its the way it is.

Installer beware!
Old 06-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
Camper Less Camping

Thanks everyone for your replies...I have a better understanding how to handle now!

Old 06-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your replies...I have a better understanding how to handle now!
Have you considered a front mounted hitch for your tv to carry bikes?
Old 06-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn5995 View Post
I have a receiver hitch on the back of our Rockwood. I don't use it for a bicycle rack, I use it for our generator carrier, but would certainly work as well with a bike carrier.

You will want to make sure that you do it right. Don't have someone "who knows how to weld" install it. Precautions are necessary for the light weight I-beam frames these units have. Many have Lippert frames, our Rockwood has a Dexter frame and the receiver hitch was installed by an authorized frame repair facility for Dexter.

In my case they notched the frame and integrated the hitch into the frame with reinforcements along the web. You will get many comments that it cannot be done safely, but I have had no issues with ours.
Good luck. Glenn,how far does the (4) bike rack stick out the back of your rear hitch? Youroo!!

Glenn,hoe far does the (4) bike rack stick out the rear of your camper hitch? youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #12
Camper Less Camping

I've seen this concept many times used in our travels, hadn't considered it, though not due to it's functionality but seems it would bother the heck out of me while staring down the road for hours traveling BUT may have to reconsider!

Old 06-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I know exactly what your saying Glenn.
And I agree with you 100%

I'm just warning the op that it may be nearly impossible to get fr or lippert to warranty a frame that has been modified from oe specs without a lengthy law suit and overpriced lawyers from installing a bike rack on said camper.
Although not right its the way it is.

Installer beware!
There is no argument that it might be legal nightmare to pursue if a problem arose.

In my case, I didn't have the hitch installed until the warranty had expired anyway. I forget if the frame warranty was one or two years. I also relocated my spare tire to the front storage compartment to help off set the weight of my generator carrier. Just posting for info that I have been using it for about four years now without any problems. Just two months ago I opened up the underbelly of the fifth wheel to address some other issues and while it was open I specifically inspected the frame for any issues with the welds, fatigue, stress cracks or bends and all looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Glenn,hoe far does the (4) bike rack stick out the rear of your camper hitch? youroo!!
I am not using it with a bike rack. My statement was that it would work with a bike rack which utilizes a receiver hitch. I am using it with a generator/cargo carrier from Let's Go Aero:

GearDeck 17 Towable Generator Carrier - Let's Go Aero - Generator STO Cargo Carrier (GearDeck™ 17)

It extends about 36 inches from the rear bumper. I don't think I have any pictures from the side showing it, but this is what it looks like:

Happy Camping everyone!

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
Old 06-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #14

Arvika makes one that mounts on the pin box.....not sure what warranty that might void....also if crew cab might think of two yakimas up there with canoe in middle...and t bar on front of truck.....if reciever up there.....I am skeptical about mounting anything but a vertical bar to support a canoe ....in front as my oil - tranny - and water radiators are up there.....would not want to block any of that air flow....

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2liv View Post
Arvika makes one that mounts on the pin box.....not sure what warranty that might void....also if crew cab might think of two yakimas up there with canoe in middle...and t bar on front of truck.....if reciever up there.....I am skeptical about mounting anything but a vertical bar to support a canoe ....in front as my oil - tranny - and water radiators are up there.....would not want to block any of that air flow....
I dont believe you would even notice the effect of bikes up front as far as cooling.
Lou aka herk has this setup and has not mentioned it being a problem.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #16
Camper Less Camping

Looks like the front hitch method will be the easiest and safer method towing a bike rack. Found a Curt bolt-on front hitch for my specific TV at etrailer.com for $165, not bad! Thanks for all the tips and ideas \

Old 06-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Looks like the front hitch method will be the easiest and safer method towing a bike rack. Found a Curt bolt-on front hitch for my specific TV at etrailer.com for $165, not bad! Thanks for all the tips and ideas \
Good luck!
Old 06-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #18

I was just under my ultralight fifth yesterday, trying to figure out how I could beef up the frame so I could pull a motorcycle trailer. It appears that the only practical method would be to fabricate a triangular subframe, butt it up against the torsion axle subframe in the front, with the taper going to the rear. Welding this subframe to the existing camper frame would result in a much stronger unit, and would actually tie the three units together, the main I-beam, the axle subframe, and the added support frame.
The triangular subframe would transfer the hitch weight on the rear bumper all the way forward to the axle subframe, and would eliminate any tendancy to bend the EXTREMELY light I-beams.
While I still wouldn't put 1000 pounds on the rear, I would bet it could carry a fair bit.
The only problem is with the sewer outlet that is in the way, but a slightly deeper web on the subframe would get around that.
I just have to decide if I really need to pull a trailer that bad.
All I know is that I would never put any weight on the rear without the above fix.
DonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:27 AM   #19

Obviously a long and at times passionate and intelligent topic; after a couple of cocktails, in our new 5th Wheeler, why not just put the bikes inside the unit, and avoid a large majority of the risk, warranty drama, manufacturing, and Bill Nye the science guy stuff?
BigandJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:28 AM   #20

Not to sound offensive here but that seems like a ton of work for a trailer that really won't carry more than some light bikes and would be unlawful to pull in some states. Toy Hauler sounds like a better fix.
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack