Old 09-07-2011, 11:41 PM   #11

another option is to get another hitch reciever

I have a factory hitch reciever and now have a 15,000 lb Hitch reciever mounted underneath the factory reciever - I use the lower reciever for the trailer and when I am ready for a reciever mounted bike rack I will use the factory reciever for that.

Keep in mind I have a lifted 4x4 so I have the extra room

USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:43 AM   #12
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobs View Post
Yes it is in Canada. Wasn't sure when I called. and it is the only company I've found that makes one.
yep, it's expensive! i wonder why Yakima and Thule haven't come up with something similar.
Aerolite and Kodiak trailers had the Toppoprails rack system as an option, for a few years. must have been too expensive to continue it.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:52 AM   #13

Personally, I use and recommend the ladder bike rack. It's temporary, works great, and is inexpensive and safe.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:13 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I still disagree with mounting a bike rack to the rear frame!
Coming from one of those who had bike handle bar ends go through the back of the fiberglass shell makes me cringe when another asks about doing the same.
Just because he is a professional welder doesn't mean he knows the ins and outs of light weight rv frames.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:18 AM   #15

The only thing worse than mounting a bike rack on the bumper of a lightweight camper is hanging the bikes from the roof ladder. That is simply insane. It is one thing to rip off the bumper, quite another to have the ladder tear out of the rear camper wall!

If a receiver is welded to the frame carefully, with lots of bracing and reinforcement, that should be ok. But those frames are made of very thin metal, so any potential flex at the welding points must be totally eliminated. if not, over time, the welds will break from fatigue.

Once my warranty is up, I will be mounting a hitch. Once I get the belly cover off, I will know what I am up against, but I am looking to run a reinforcing channel on the inside of both frame rails, maybe up as far as the axles. I don't think there is anything in the belly back there, so should be able to do it. I would then tie the hitch into that. I am hoping to be able to construct the hitch/rails as a unit, then just slide it into the frame and bolt in place. I would rather not weld on the camper frame, because it is so thin. We'll see if it is possible.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
The only thing worse than mounting a bike rack on the bumper of a lightweight camper is hanging the bikes from the roof ladder. That is simply insane. It is one thing to rip off the bumper, quite another to have the ladder tear out of the rear camper wall!

If a receiver is welded to the frame carefully, with lots of bracing and reinforcement, that should be ok. But those frames are made of very thin metal, so any potential flex at the welding points must be totally eliminated. if not, over time, the welds will break from fatigue.

Once my warranty is up, I will be mounting a hitch. Once I get the belly cover off, I will know what I am up against, but I am looking to run a reinforcing channel on the inside of both frame rails, maybe up as far as the axles. I don't think there is anything in the belly back there, so should be able to do it. I would then tie the hitch into that. I am hoping to be able to construct the hitch/rails as a unit, then just slide it into the frame and bolt in place. I would rather not weld on the camper frame, because it is so thin. We'll see if it is possible.

I would be interested in seeing how you will do this. keep us posted with pics.
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:17 AM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

A mag drill would be nice drilling all those holes
Old 09-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #18

If the ladder will support my 260 lbs (and it does) surely it will support the 25 pounds my two bikes weigh. I've carried my bikes like this for 20 years!
-
On another note however, go to AdventureRV.com and take a peek of their receiver hitch which bolts to the rear square bumper. It actually goes from one end of the bumper to the other with U-bolts around the bumper and the cross ties also. Then you can use all your receiver accessories.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Your two bikes weigh 25 lbs, seriously? My two race bikes don't weigh that little. I'd like to buy yours and race them.

I'd imagine the weight of your two bikes is greater than you think and the forces acting on those bikes as you drive down the road are certainly greater than 25lbs.

The ladder and bikes are many feet behind the axle and the farther out from the axles, the more force placed on the ladder with each bounce.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Your two bikes weigh 25 lbs, seriously? My two race bikes don't weigh that little. I'd like to buy yours and race them.

I'd imagine the weight of your two bikes is greater than you think and the forces acting on those bikes as you drive down the road are certainly greater than 25lbs.

The ladder and bikes are many feet behind the axle and the farther out from the axles, the more force placed on the ladder with each bounce.

Very true what you say, but is the force greater than 260 lbs, the weight of the gentleman that uses the ladder.

2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack