Old 09-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #1

Bike rack mount (please help)

I have a 2002 flagstaff RB21 that I need to mount a bike rack on the back. On this model, I don't have the square bumper. I have a flat bumper. The frame it is welded to is 2" x4" and is steel. A welder told me this was fine and to purchase an adjustable receiver hitch so he could weld it to the frame, reinfore it, then weld the bumper back on. My plan is to mount the spare on the tounge. Does anyone have any information that will help or any other ideas? The only option I have to haul bikes is on the rear of th TT.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Because welding or bolting anything to a 5th wheel Ultra-Lite camper voids the frame warranty and I had a new camper I was forced to find a suitable alternative for our bikes. We finally went with a nose hitch for the truck. See photo. There is a member here who made a NICE tongue mounted bike rack that straddles the propane tanks in front. I will try to find the thread for you.

Bike Rack

One of MANY threads here on this topic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bikes 020.jpg
Views:	2794
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	7872  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #3

Seems like there are a lot of issues with mods to frames and warranty. On my last TT we did put our bikes in the coach while we travelled down the road (only took them with us twice) now I want to get a bike rack too, and I can see it's physically possible to weld or bolt a 2" receiver on the bumper, my spare is already on it with u bolts. Just because it seems reasonable doesn't mean it's ok though. I'm going to see what I can put together in the next week or two, if I come up with something good I'll post it here. Herk's solution is great since we already know a snow plow will sit up there no problem so two bikes is nothing for the truck. How do you clean the bugs off the bikes?
Old 09-06-2011, 10:45 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by althebuilder View Post
How do you clean the bugs off the bikes?
Never had a problem. The only issue I had was the trans ran about 10 degrees hotter than normal and fuel economy was about 1 MPG less.

There are many horror stories here from campers who mounted bikes on ultra-lite bumpers and had the bumpers crack or fall off losing bikes; spare tire; and all.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:51 PM   #5

I found an adjustable receiver hitch with a 350lb tounge rating that my welder has approved. It adjust from 46" to 76". My wife sais no to mounting on the front of the TV. I looked at mounting on the tounge but I'm afraid it will add to much weight since I don't use a weight distribution hitch or anything. The local rv shop said my best option was on the back of the TT.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:39 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobs View Post
I have a 2002 flagstaff RB21 that I need to mount a bike rack on the back. On this model, I don't have the square bumper. I have a flat bumper. The frame it is welded to is 2" x4" and is steel. A welder told me this was fine and to purchase an adjustable receiver hitch so he could weld it to the frame, reinfore it, then weld the bumper back on. My plan is to mount the spare on the tounge. Does anyone have any information that will help or any other ideas?
Might want to take a look at this parallel thread: Cracked bumper

Quote:
The only option I have to haul bikes is on the rear of th TT.
I can't find any information on an RB21, so I have no idea if it is a tent camper, hybrid, travel trailer, or 5th wheel. But I can't believe that the only option is the rear bumper.

How about:

Be more persuasive with the missus about the front of the TV.

The roof top if using an SUV TV.

The bed if using a truck TV.

Rigging a bicycle rack to the front of the trailer off of the tongue. Get a WDH if needed.....seldom a bad thing.

Inside of the trailer.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:04 PM   #7

The only tongue mounted bike rack I found is sent from overseas and cost $650 plus freight. And it took 20 mins for someone who spoke English to get to the phone. Does anyone know of another rack made and sold in the US for the tongue? I've seen some custom racks but I would like a bolt on so I can move it to another TT when needed.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:33 PM   #8

Quote:
I have a 2002 flagstaff RB21 that I need to mount a bike rack on the back. On this model, I don't have the square bumper. I have a flat bumper. The frame it is welded to is 2" x4" and is steel. A welder told me this was fine and to purchase an adjustable receiver hitch so he could weld it to the frame, reinfore it, then weld the bumper back on. My plan is to mount the spare on the tounge. Does anyone have any information that will help or any other ideas? The only option I have to haul bikes is on the rear of th TT.
If he is welding it directly to the frame rails I say go for it. Not sure how long a frame is warranted, but being a 2002 I really don't think you'd have to worry about a warranty. I carried bikes for 7 years on the back of my 2003 Cherokee and never had an issue. Maybe they were just built better back then
Old 09-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #9
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
The only tongue mounted bike rack I found is sent from overseas and cost $650 plus freight. And it took 20 mins for someone who spoke English to get to the phone. Does anyone know of another rack made and sold in the US for the tongue? I've seen some custom racks but I would like a bolt on so I can move it to another TT when needed.
the only tongue bike rack i've ever seen is Toppoprails' system. and i don't think Canada is overseas. if you have something different, i'd like to know who makes it.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:32 PM   #10

Yes it is in Canada. Wasn't sure when I called. and it is the only company I've found that makes one.

Tags
bike, bike rack