Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #1

Bouncing floor

Hello everyone,
We just spent our first weekend in our 2012 831BHDS and love it except for the bouncing floor..
there is almost no front to back motion thanks to the x chocks but a little side to side and alot of up and down.
I extended the stabilizer jacks until the motors changed pitch and the body started to lift.

It is so pronounced we can feel the movement as our 20 lb wonder puggle walks down the isle. I know it is an long ultra light frame and there will be some flex but I am wondering if there are any suggestions. Possibly a 3rd pair of jacks?.Or am I not extending the stabilizers enough. I am paranoid about twisting the frame. what about a BAL kit. I have seen them on fivers but not on TT.

Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated. I have only been doing this 3 seasons and have already learned so much reading the forums.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #2

I'm also curious as to how much bouncing is "normal" and are the any ways to improve stability?
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

You might try adding an extra set of jacks right in front of the front axle. I made some brackets that bolt around the 2" x 4" tube that goes across from side to side in front of the axles. The jacks are welded to the brackets so they stay on the trailer. Got the jacks at Harbor Freight. Angled them out so a cordless drill would clear the tires & steps and they help tremendously by lifting the trailer enough to take the bounce out of the tires. Can't or wouldn't try to get the tires off the ground, but just enough to eliminate tire bounce.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00843.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	13417  
Old 05-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #4

I just did a "search" for previous posts on this topic and found that a numbers of folks recommended the BAL X-Chock for improved trailer stablization.

Suggest check out the following link: BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry

Available at the following:

Camping World $45.99 ea + 6.00 Shipping
Amazon $44.92 + Free Shipping
PPL Motorhomes $34.05 + $7.99 Shipping

There is also a 2-pack available... I'd be interested to know if one side will about do it -or- if we need X-Chock on both sides to really make a significant difference?
Old 05-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

I have found out over the yrs when I got lazy (quite often nowadays) that one xchock helps but not nearly as much as two. The xchocks will not stop the bounce, they will just help with the front to back motion. Stabilizers going from the frame down to the pads on the bottom of the jacks help a lot also with the front to back and side to side motion, but with a combination of the stabilizers, xchocks and the jacks in front of the axles, I have found that it eliminates 99% of all unwanted movement. (notice I said unwanted movement)
Old 05-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
I have found out over the yrs when I got lazy (quite often nowadays) that one xchock helps but not nearly as much as two. The xchocks will not stop the bounce, they will just help with the front to back motion. Stabilizers going from the frame down to the pads on the bottom of the jacks help a lot also with the front to back and side to side motion, but with a combination of the stabilizers, xchocks and the jacks in front of the axles, I have found that it eliminates 99% of all unwanted movement. (notice I said unwanted movement)
I have been using the old alum (TEE PEE) style jacks on a small portion of the frame because of the propane line. Now I can put real jacks on to (Stabilize) the center! Thanks!! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
You might try adding an extra set of jacks right in front of the front axle. I made some brackets that bolt around the 2" x 4" tube that goes across from side to side in front of the axles. The jacks are welded to the brackets so they stay on the trailer. Got the jacks at Harbor Freight. Angled them out so a cordless drill would clear the tires & steps and they help tremendously by lifting the trailer enough to take the bounce out of the tires. Can't or wouldn't try to get the tires off the ground, but just enough to eliminate tire bounce.
I will look tonight under the coach to see what I can come up with.
Do you find the jacks causing any ground clearance problems, especially when pulling gravel inclines at camp grounds?
Old 05-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #8

If the trailer's a rocking...................................
Old 05-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgnrdavid47421 View Post
I will look tonight under the coach to see what I can come up with.
Do you find the jacks causing any ground clearance problems, especially when pulling gravel inclines at camp grounds?
No ground clearance problems at all. If you study the picture, you will see that the jacks are higher than the axles.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #10

What I do is a lot cheaper and works just as well. Stacker Jacks(2) from WM placed just in front of the front tires and snugged up against the frame. Won't completly eliminate the bounce but takes at least 80% of it out. Enough that you won't spill your coffee when someone is walking around!
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
What I do is a lot cheaper and works just as well. Stacker Jacks(2) from WM placed just in front of the front tires and snugged up against the frame. Won't completly eliminate the bounce but takes at least 80% of it out. Enough that you won't spill your coffee when someone is walking around!
You are a lot younger than I am and I just bend down with a cordless drill and in 5 secs or less the jack is down. Breaking camp and another 5 secs and the jack is up & stowed. Total time to engage & stow jacks, less than 30 secs and I'm not even in a hurry, just exceptionally lazy!

Total cost: $80/pr.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #12

Sounds good! I'll put them on my Mod Wish List. But with only 3-4 trips a year, for now, I'll keep doing what I'm doing! And no, I am probably not younger but poorer! Also fat and what hair has not turned gray has turned loose!
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Timex, if you're still working, I am older. I only work on doing nothing and my big problem with that is,: I never know when I'm through.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #14

SteadyFast: 5th Wheel and RV Travel Trailer Stabilizer System

Check this out! I just finished installing mine and made a world of difference....
firedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

QUOTE=Timex;194488]Sounds good! I'll put them on my Mod Wish List. But with only 3-4 trips a year, for now, I'll keep doing what I'm doing! And no, I am probably not younger but poorer! Also fat and what hair has not turned gray has turned loose! [/QUOTE]

Just barely able to stay off food stamps. [
Old 05-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
I'm sorry, but I dont know what a stacker jack is.
Could you describe it pleast?
Thanks
Old 05-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #17

Just an odd ball question. Can we count the nights spent sleeping in the rv while its parked in the driveway as nights camped?. I would love to have camped 53 days so far this year, but with our crazy work schedules its only a puny 5
Old 05-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I dont know what a stacker jack is.
Could you describe it pleast?
Thanks
They are the 4 sided pyramids with the screw in the top.
"stacker jacks" - Walmart.com
Old 05-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Just an odd ball question. Can we count the nights spent sleeping in the rv while its parked in the driveway as nights camped?. I would love to have camped 53 days so far this year, but with our crazy work schedules its only a puny 5
Just have to retire and you can make 365/yr. After working 50+ yrs I just gave up. Got tired of 3-4 different motels and 6-8 different flights every week. Delta said I flew 499,??? miles in 30 months before I retired.