Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2015, 02:34 PM   #1

buzz in surround sound with tv on irv66/ toshiba

I get a buzz or hum in the surround sound when listening to the tv at around volume level 20 or above that with the irv66 system. Do you suppose going to the OIS(optical cable) connection will cure it. Anybody else experience this? I recognize there have been many posts on the minimum volume levels on the radio section.

2016 Flagstaff 27VRL
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:35 PM   #2

Are you using any LED bulbs? Some of the cheaper ones will cause interference noise in the audio system.
Kevin & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:42 PM   #3

All the new trailers are 99% leds from FR in both 2015 and 2016 or at least on the Flagstaff/Rockwoods. Noise increases proportionately to volume. Above 20 is really annoying and not that loud.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:03 PM   #4

I dont know if that is an RF type disturbance or if getting the power directly at the battery would help?...anybody?
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
I get a buzz or hum in the surround sound when listening to the tv at around volume level 20 or above that with the irv66 system. Do you suppose going to the OIS(optical cable) connection will cure it. Anybody else experience this? I recognize there have been many posts on the minimum volume levels on the radio section.

2016 Flagstaff 27VRL
You may need a ground loop isolator. There are old treads on this subject.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #6

Check your audio connections to be sure all are firmly in. If the system can be run on battery power, that would eliminate 60 cycle interference as a likely cause. Does it make a difference if on outside shore power or if running through an inverter? If this is a older rig, check all bass producing raw speakers and subwoofers for cone separation.
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:57 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Is your TV one with the modification for audio out? They would have supplied a ground loop isolator to place between the TV and the IRV unit. My Rockwood TT had one to prevent a ground loop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	$_12.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	81930
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:54 PM   #8
Retired Techie

X2 on ground. Isolator if both units are running on 12 volts. It's called a ground loop.
moligney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post

2016 Flagstaff 27VRL
Installed OIS cable last night ( since dealer says FR can't get him parts after 4 weeks in the shop). Not a really difficult install, once you pull the iVR66 out of the cabinet. What a rat's nest of wiring behind it. Was able to verify all phono cables were seated and in all the way. A small black plug at the top of the unit is removed to install the OIS.
When you use the OIS cable, the selector button that would normally be at TV AUDIO is set to OIC/OCC ( I believe). You need to turn TV audio down all the way or you get some degree of reverb. Other than that, works perfect, you can get all the volume you want and no background buzz/hum.

2016Flagstaff27VRL