Old 03-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #1

Camping in Cold Weather

We have a camper without a enclosed belly we are going camping spring break. The temps are going to be in the 30's some nights but get up into the 40's and lower 50" during daytime. Are we safe to use water hook-ups or will we have a problem with freezing? We haven't dewinterized camper yet our old camper had belly inclosed this one does not. Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

hmmmmm

I would say it it's only going to be in the thirties for 4 or five hours each night you will be fine.

It would probably take at least 12 hours of 30 degrees or more to begin to freeze pipes.
No kind of wind chill is there?
your results may very

Old 03-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #3

Don't know about wind chill yet but sunshine on colder days of week would we be better off not hooking up water and use campground bathroom and shower? If we run heat would that not keep freezing if it gets above freezing in the day? Weird weather going on here in Tn. this time of year is usually getting warmer but we have a cold front right now.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #4

Nascar, if it is only getting down to the 30s you should be fine. You might want to disconnect the hose from the RV before you go to bed. If you get up in the middle of the night (as many of us older men do) you could run the water from your faucets for a couple of seconds. But there should be no problem using the shower or anything. I have camped in the upper 20s without any problems if it is just at night and warms up above freezing during the day. Also, open the cabinets so a little warm inside air gets into the cabinets. Enjoy!
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #5

You should be fine. Like stated above, open cabinet doors, wrap your water hose with some pipe insulation. WalMart sells some.

By the way, are you are Carl Edwards fan
Old 03-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #6

We were camping mid October last fall and it was unusually cold and windy. It went below freezing at night and 40s during the day.Tanks were all fine with the furnace running without any heat pads. Only thing that froze at night was the water hookup hose. Had thought maybe I should unhook it, but decided to chance it. Will know better next time! It thawed in the sun during the day. A heated hose is on my goodie list now, although even that would not help if the campground water hookup itself froze!
2012 Rockwood UltraLite 2304s trailer
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #7

Heated hose are nice, I have a 25 footer. I also wrape the CG water connections and have never had anything freeze down to the high teens. That is about as cold as it gets here and that is only or 4 or 5 hours.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
Pug Dads

We love our heated water Hose and used it when temps got down as low as 20. But so the campground faucet doesn't freeze we wrap a blanket or heavy towel around the pipe and heated hose, and the heat from the hose prevents the faucet from freezing.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #9

Vinster30 yes I am a Carl Edwards Fan. Thanks for the information.