Old 05-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #31

According to #'s. you are ok . I know the safety police will say no ?

I'm going to weigh mine today , everything loaded , mine is 1/2 ton rated ... Will see

2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #32
Site Team - Lou

Micalo,

On a vehicle; any vehicle; each component that makes it up has a load limit. They are all different. What makes the Gross Weight Rating; is the Lightest load rating of all of them

For your truck, the lowest load rating could be tires; axles; frame; engine; transmission; or rear differential. My guess is the limiting factor on your truck is the frame.

So even though your axles can carry more load; your frame most likely can not.

So, based on your numbers you are over weight on your truck by 7550 - 6800 = 750 pounds (quite a bit).

As to the camper;

Same deal; the camper's components all have different ratings just like your truck. The only difference is that a portion of the camper's weight is carried by the truck.

There is a minimum and a maximum weight that should be carried for safe towing characteristics (like sway and steering stability) and that percentage varies by towing type (5th wheel or travel trailer).

The max/min for a travel trailer is 10 - 15 percent of the total camper weight.

The max/min for a 5th wheel is 15- 25% of total camper weight because of where the weight is actually carried (in the bed of the truck vs the bumper).

Your axles are rated at 7000 pounds total weight and your camper can carry 8053 (most likely based on the frame). The "extra 1053 pounds" would need to be carried by the pickup).

I think you said that this was a 5th wheel so here goes.
Since you did not weight the truck BY ITSELF at the same time you weighed it together, we do not know exactly where the overload is. I suspect it is in the camper.

Way down there I see your camper UVW is 6182 and the curb weight of the truck is 4987.

Truck:
7050 actual weight - 4987 curb weight means your payload is 2063 pounds. Using your numbers as guesses in the earlier post (300 for wife and family and 100 pounds for hitch - gas and you (150 pounds anyway)are included in curb weight) brings the "unhitched weight" to 5387 pounds.

So if there really is NOTHING else in the truck (like boards or spare gas cans etc) the pin weight would be 7050 - 5387 = 1663 pounds.

Camper:

So actual camper wheel load is 7620 (sum of all camper wheels) PLUS the pin weight carried by the truck 1663 pounds for an actual camper weight of 9283.

Your max allowed is 8053.

Your camper is overloaded by 9283 - 8053 or 1230 pounds.
Also severely overloaded.

Combined safe distribution on a 15th wheel is optimized at 20%

At 9283, 20% means that 1856 pounds should be on the pin for handling considerations only. (you are still seriously overloaded). Since your actual (calculated not weighed) pin weight is 1663 your distribution is sitting at 18%

This means your front to back loading is right on the money but there is just too much stuff in there.

Did that help? You should get everyone back in the turck with conditions as close as you can make it and go back and just weigh the truck to be the most accurate.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #33
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsfloyd View Post
According to #'s. you are ok . I know the safety police will say no ?

I'm going to weigh mine today , everything loaded , mine is 1/2 ton rated ... Will see
I am also curious how you think his numbers are OK?
How did you arrive at your conclusion?
Since you have never weighed your rig; I would like to see how your weighing goes.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 05-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769

I am also curious how you think his numbers are OK?
How did you arrive at your conclusion?
Since you have never weighed your rig; I would like to see how your weighing goes.
Going to weigh mine today , if possible

If he is under on axles on weight ?

I would worry about tires more than frame

This is our first TT , have toad a lot of other trailers all over the sate of Texas

When I use to ride with my grand father in his semi during summer months, I remember a time we loaded out on corn at 108,000 pounds ... Way over 80,000
We took off and del. the corn.
108,000 #'s. This was back in the 70's
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #35

Quote:

This is our first TT , have toad a lot of other trailers all over the sate of Texas

When I use to ride with my grand father in his semi during summer months, I remember a time we loaded out on corn at 108,000 pounds ... Way over 80,000
As herk mentioned, it's the weight ratings of all the components together, not just each piece. So, for instance, we put 10,000 lb axles under the truck, does that magically make it safe to have a weight of 20,000 lbs? Doesn't matter what the frame, engine, brakes, etc. can handle??

And just because you safely hauled 108k lbs once on a rating of 80k lbs doesn't make it safe. Everyone gets lucky once in a while.

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #36
Site Team - Lou

Quote:

GVWR is a "whole truck" limit.
The tires are most likely not the limiting factor.

My Michelin LTX MS2 LT245/75R/16 E rated tires are rated to carry 3042 pounds @80PSI

4 tires = 12,168 pounds with all tires inflated to 80 PSI.
My TRUCK is rated at 9,200 pounds max GVWR
My frame is the limiting factor.

Nice story.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 07-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #37

Pulled many fifth wheels. I will never pull a fiver (including your size) with a half ton short bed pick-up. You will be over the axle weight of the rear axle, not total weight. Plus can you stop the truck? When you are always looking 1 minute ahead for stopping space you are over weight! Safe your nerves and go 3/4 at least!
Old 07-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #38
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by fransie View Post
Pulled many fifth wheels. I will never pull a fiver (including your size) with a half ton short bed pick-up. You will be over the axle weight of the rear axle, not total weight. Plus can you stop the truck? When you are always looking 1 minute ahead for stopping space you are over weight! Safe your nerves and go 3/4 at least!
Agree with everything except the braking and pulling a 5er with a 1/2 ton. The truck does not have to stop the trailer by itself. The trailer, if the brake controler & trailer brakes are adjusted correctly should do the lion's share of stopping itself.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #39
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Agree with everything except the braking and pulling a 5er with a 1/2 ton. The truck does not have to stop the trailer by itself. The trailer, if the brake controler & trailer brakes are adjusted correctly should do the lion's share of stopping itself.
This is very true.

As long as you are under your gross combined weight rating and have not exceeded either the GVWR of your tow vehicle (pin on) or the Gross Axle ratings front or back you can pull and stop a 5th wheel with a 1/2 ton.

The problem is that 1/2 ton towables have EMPTY pin weights that max out the GVWR of most older trucks with just the driver on board.

My opinions on this topic are changing as I have been blown away by the numbers on the newest trucks 2011 and up. The newest Ultra-Lite 5th wheels have also become VERY light (with the attendant reduction in what we feel is "quality" BTW - (That "solid feel" to everything) - can't have your cake and eat it apparently).

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 07-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #40

Agree on trailer brakes will aid, but those are to assist, they are not rated to be able to handle the full (In your case overloaded) weight of the trailer. The As to weighing, the top post states it clearly. on weights.
Simple math:
1: Weight the truck with the load you are planning to bring with you, including all occupants:
then weight; a: Front axle only , b: rear axle only.
2: Weight the truck with only the pin weight of the Fiver.
Now lets check your rear axle rating.
A: Subtract combined weight step one from combined weight step two. Add the difference to the rear axle number of step one and you know if your rear axle is overloaded or not.
3: Weight the whole thing and see if you exceed the GCWR.