Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2012, 05:49 PM   #41
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by fransie View Post
Agree on trailer brakes will aid, but those are to assist, they are not rated to be able to handle the full (In your case overloaded) weight of the trailer. The As to weighing, the top post states it clearly. on weights.
Simple math:
1: Weight the truck with the load you are planning to bring with you, including all occupants:
then weight; a: Front axle only , b: rear axle only.
2: Weight the truck with only the pin weight of the Fiver.
Now lets check your rear axle rating.
A: Subtract combined weight step one from combined weight step two. Add the difference to the rear axle number of step one and you know if your rear axle is overloaded or not.
3: Weight the whole thing and see if you exceed the GCWR.
Sorry to disagree on the trailer brakes, but all the trailers I've had have been able to stop the whole rig without the assistance of the truck, otherwise, why have the emergency breakaway switch? I do this whenever we start on a trip while still in the driveway as a check that the trailer brakes/controller are working properly and to ensure the hitch is securely latched.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #42
Site Team - Lou

IMO it matters not as long as you are under your Max Combined Weight Rating you will be able to stop the rig as long as the brakes are working on the truck and camper.

I see both points.

I was wrong in a previous thread when I "double counted" pin weight when working with Combined weight (not something that I had to worry about with my combination since my truck maxes out LONG before the combined weight is reached).

You should never exceed the truck's GVWR (WITH pin included) AND you should never exceed the Camper's GVWR (PIN included); but when talking combined weight you only need to account for the pin weight once.

Exceed the GCWR and all bets are off; pulling AND stopping.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:54 PM   #43

Why does the trailer pin weight have to be included in the trailer GVWR when it is carried by the TV or stationary stand(s)?

Old 07-02-2012, 06:48 AM   #44
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckinca View Post
Why does the trailer pin weight have to be included in the trailer GVWR when it is carried by the TV or stationary stand(s)?
Because the camper's frame is the limiting factor in 99.9% of trailers out there.
It will see ALL the weight; ALL the time.

Stationary it does not matter even fully loaded you can still put people inside.

It is when TOWING that it matters. A Lot!

Have you ever peeked back there when going down the highway?
The pin box attachment box flexes like crazy even when not overloaded.
The frame twists while towing and the heavier the load on it; the more of it's useful life is removed. Too heavy and the useful life may only be a couple of months before frame cracks appear.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote