Old 03-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #11

We had a tire going low last year on our South Dakota trip. Saw it while filling gas in the tow vehicle so we went to a local shop and had it replaced. Sidewall was coming out on the tire. 4 days later, same trip, blowout on the highway. Waited on the highway 4 hours for roadside assistance and also disconnected the TV from the TT and sent wife to find a tire. Roadside showed up with a tire and replaced the blowout and noticed the other tire on same side of TT was about to go. Put the tire on that wife found. Decided to put the spare on the only remaining original tire. TT came with C tires--I now run D and my spare is an E.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #12

Good example of why I think TPMS is so important.

In a car, you can tell if one tire is going down before any other tire is going to be damaged. I

n a multi-axle RV, losing just a few pounds of air in one tire can easily cause the other tire on that side to exceed its weight rating. It's much better to prevent that from happening.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Good example of why I think TPMS is so important.

In a car, you can tell if one tire is going down before any other tire is going to be damaged. I

n a multi-axle RV, losing just a few pounds of air in one tire can easily cause the other tire on that side to exceed its weight rating. It's much better to prevent that from happening.
TPMS will not help you when a cord seperates. by then the tire is already gone. and if the tire has a blow out then TPMS will still not help you. TPMS is OK for slow leaks or people that don`t maintain there vehicle (not flaming you) and that is it.
Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
TPMS will not help you when a cord seperates. by then the tire is already gone. and if the tire has a blow out then TPMS will still not help you. TPMS is OK for slow leaks or people that don`t maintain there vehicle (not flaming you) and that is it.
I agree with part of what you say about the cord separation and a blow out, but not about the not maintaining their vehicle. The TPMS is great for letting you know if you happen to pick up a nail, etc. and thus avoiding a possible blowout, etc. I have a TPMS system and also maintain the proper air pressure as I did for 37 yrs prior to buying the system.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post

TPMS will not help you when a cord seperates. by then the tire is already gone. and if the tire has a blow out then TPMS will still not help you.
Not sure I agree. I think there could be cases where you wouldn't know you had that blowout for a while, thereby destroying the other tire as well. (Not speaking from experience thankfully.)