Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2015, 08:28 AM   #21

It would be helpful to know what kind of camper you have, so like models can tell you where to look-it is a tiny button. Ours, too, was difficult to find. Located where sat/cable wires came in to cabinet by TV, but hiding behind that big wad of cables. Booster makes a big difference in scanning channels. Don't forget to turn it OFF when you go back to cable or you will have a snowy picture.
dougpatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:00 AM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Stitcher, I guess the two of you will need to get a bottle of wine and some candles to sit in your RV with rain drops beating on the roof instead.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:07 AM   #23

Our booster us in the cupboard under th tv next to a plug in.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dennis and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:42 PM   #24
Site Team

FYI- got this PM from stitcher--
Booster definitely helped but stations apparently don\'t have strong enough signals as we had them one evening and the next morning and haven\'t had them since then.

Sounds like they found the button I guess. Also gotta wonder if they moved
the antenna? Last time out we could only get a couple stations if the antenna
was aimed EXACTLY right. Move it any left/right and it would freeze and that's
all you got.
I was gonna suggest they get a winegard wingman but don't know if they're following this thread any longer.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:52 PM   #25

Antenna problems

One of the folks that replied suggested that I tell everyone that we have a 2013 Flagstaff Fifth Wheel 3526RKWS. We really like our camper but it has had several issues mostly minor.
stitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:58 PM   #26

We are still following the thread and yes we found the booster right away and have moved the antenna. After we scan for the channels it will tell us we have 2 but then we get the message that signal is low.

Thanks for all your help.
stitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:07 PM   #27
Old Timer

Don't everybody have satellite?
kentnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:15 PM   #28
Site Team

Almost all OTA TV today is digital thanks to the geniuses in Washington. The down side of digital TV is that you have a picture or you don't. There is no picture with a little snow. And if the digital processor can not get enough data to process the signal, it throws an error or blue screen. Digital signals also are in the UHF range rather then the old TV in the VHF range. These signals do not travel as far and are more susceptible to being blocked by objects. Simple things like rain or wet leaves can make a signal that worked yesterday not work today. Combine that with the low quality TV antennas FR uses on some units and you are doomed to frustration. Alternatives: Get a DVD movie and watch it or upgrade to a Jack antenna. Better yet sit outside and enjoy nature.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:19 AM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Almost all OTA TV today is digital thanks to the geniuses in Washington. The down side of digital TV is that you have a picture or you don't. There is no picture with a little snow. And if the digital processor can not get enough data to process the signal, it throws an error or blue screen. Digital signals also are in the UHF range rather then the old TV in the VHF range. These signals do not travel as far and are more susceptible to being blocked by objects. Simple things like rain or wet leaves can make a signal that worked yesterday not work today. Combine that with the low quality TV antennas FR uses on some units and you are doomed to frustration. Alternatives: Get a DVD movie and watch it or upgrade to a Jack antenna. Better yet sit outside and enjoy nature.
Camping in the U.P. of Michigan is very limited for OTA TV. Last weekend I had 3-4 channels by turning the antenna and it was mostly PBS. At our cottage we get 2 channels from one tower. Then north at Copper Harbor there is zero OTA TV. I do get spoiled when I travel toward larger cities and get 20-30 channels on the first scan. So sometimes you do all the right things and still have no TV.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:35 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentnjudy View Post
Don't everybody have satellite?
I have been TOLD we WILL right after we get home.....

Momma no real happy camper right now....... glad it is not my fault..
Old 06-27-2015, 08:54 AM   #31

The Winegard Wingman ($30.00) is a good addition to the Sensor antenna of it did not come with. About doubled signal strength when installing at home. Goes on without tools in less than one minute. Got the gray one without new rubber feet but old ones went into additional holes easily. This webpage opens with a good view: Winegard Sensar RV TV Antenna
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:27 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitcher View Post
We can't understand how it can be the antenna as when we scan the channels we have two to show up but signal is low. Those two channels worked last night and this morning. Could it be where we are located as we were told that GPS's don't work well in this region of Ohio? The GPS couldn't find some towns let alone addresses.
Well, now we are getting down to it...
It would appear everything is fine, you just don't have reception where you are. We are at our seasonal site at Geneva-On-The-Lake, Ohio and we only get 1 channel over the air.
I purchased a stationary satellite dish and a ViP 211z receiver for DishNetwork and have the "pay as you go" plan. It works perfect!
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:28 AM   #33

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
We followed in Canada 5 years later and lost TV in most areas we camp. We do have analogue in Northern Ontario and maybe 3 channels in Southern Ontario. We gave up on OTA and use satellite now. We have a Jack, the wineguard with the extra Haddon was useless. The less metal on the roof the less chance of cutting the membrane. The jack is smaller and less weight.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:17 PM   #34

I'm so glad I found this post. We didn't know anything about a booster until I read this, so the other day we went looking for it. We found it tucked way back in the tv cabinet. We pushed the bottom, scanned the channels on the tv and instead of 1 channel, we get 22, which is all the over the air stations available in our area. Everyone talked about a light coming on when the booster is on but ours doesn't have one.

Tags
antenna