Old 09-14-2010, 03:25 PM   #1

Caulk failing not under warrenty

I have a new 2011 Flagstaff 21FB that we purchased back in June. I noticed water on the skylight in the shower. I got a ladder to take a look and sure enough the caulking has failed. The plastic dome/skylight lip is wavy and not flat. Probably from heat warping the plastic. I called the dealer and they said it's not under warrenty that the owner has to repair it or pay to have the dealer repair it.

Does that sound right? No warrenty for leaks on a 3 month old trailer?

I was going to call Flagstaff (Forest River) but could not find a phone number.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:03 PM   #2

I think the warranty on sealant and seams is something like 30 days. However, the warranty on the sky light should be 1 year. I have a 2009 Rockwood that had the same problem with the skylight. I had it replaced under warranty 9 months after purchase.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
Nights Camped in 2010 - 2

Hi all,
I just had my 2011 2604 repaired under warranty for this same problem. At first the dealer pushed back until I should him the Sky Light. The shop tech said he sees it all the time. Plastic bends and cracks the caulking it should be covered. Good luck.
Nights Camped 2010 = 18
Nights Camped 2011 = 15
sailingsuppo46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:20 PM   #4

The customer IS responsible for maintaining the sealing(caulking), but at the age of your trailer, this is uncalled for.
First and foremost, take photos, lots of good quality photos.

Email the photos along with a nice letter explaining your situation.

Forrest River Customer Service
574 206 7600

Jonathan A. Gust jgust@forestriverinc.com
Old 09-14-2010, 04:21 PM   #5

This forum is awesome. Yes the lip warping is what caused the caulk to fail. I called the dealer back and left a message. I will let you know what happens!

Of course this raises the question... The caulk is obviously a very specific caulk as it's extremely flexible and sticky. Leaves stick to it. Is this something special? Can it be bought from the parts department? If so what is it called?
Old 09-14-2010, 04:35 PM   #6

I believe it is called Dicor. I have only seen it at RV shops, but not sure if you can get it elsewhere.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #7
Grape Escape

This rv dealer is the biggest con going. Should have paid him with a check that had ink that disappeared within the time you left after purchasing the trailer.
If the caulking can't last a few years at worst I would not buy anything from him and raise one big stink over it till he fixed it.
Warrantee should cover any leaks whatsoever within the first year other than leaving a window or vent open to the elements
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #8

I would be finding a new Dealer to service my trailer if it were me. He sounds like the kind of Dealer that love's selling units but when it comes to customer relations he taking the high road....leaving you high and dry....

Bill
2008 GMC Duramx-2500HD 4x4 CrewCab
52 Gallon Titan Fuel Tank
Reese18K Signature Series 5th Wheel Hitch With Slider #30085
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:01 AM   #9

This dealer has been fine. I have no real complaints. I take it in next week and if it's leaking due to the shower sunroof warping they will replace it. So far the dealer has been fine. They fixed my initial problems real quick. They also setup the unit real nice for us when we bought it. They went through every item slowly so we understood how it worked. They had it all setup and connected with the AC running.

The warrenty is a joke but we knew that going in. It's in the fine print... caulk and leaks due to failed caulk is the owners responsibility. You pay as much for the trailer as you do for a car. A leaking car would be considered unexceptable and taken care of very quickly. For a trailer it's just the opposite... Heck even my home builder covered cracks in the caulk for the first year...
Old 09-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #10

Take photos BEFORE the dealer works on it. You'll need it for future reference. Trust me.

Tags
flagstaff