Old 10-15-2016, 08:48 PM   #1
Cell phone killed the car

Just sold the sticks and bricks. Moved into our TT for about 3 weeks before our next place is ready.

Yesterday our car would not start first thing in the AM. Ford Escape with the Sync system. The display kept saying disabling to save battery. We had to leave right then so we took our truck to go do some stuff. Later that afternoon we came back to the TT and tried the car. It just barely cranked over and started! Thank goodness for that!

We drove the Escape for a bit went and ran some errands. Came back to the TT later in that evening... Saw on the display Connecting to Phone.... Got an idea what caused the battery drain. The stupid Bluetooth was trying to connect to a phone. Had to be one of our neighbors, as both of our phones bluetooth was disabled.

I shut off the Bluetooth capability on the Sync system, so now it is fine.

Just a word to the wise if you have a Sync system you might want to shut off the Bluetooth.

SubVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:52 PM   #2
I think you may have something else going on.
I have Sync2 in my Lincoln and its active all the time and it doesn't run down the battery. IT doesn't use that much power to drain your battery.
Are you sure you didn't leave some lights on somewhere?

2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 49,000 miles
(2013 - 98 days) (2014 - 117 days) (2015 - 67 days) (2016 - 115 days)
USAF Retired - MSgt

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:58 PM   #3
I have to agree with Iggy

I have Sync in the 350 I use it all the time now, no battery issues to report.
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:13 PM   #4
Thanks for the reply. I have Sync not Sync2. Sync2 is an improvement over the original Sync system.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:32 PM   #5
Honestly, I think you may have a battery on the way out. All the electronics on that car shouldn't pull one down overnight. You may want to have it load tested just to be safe. I had one do that once...intermittent problem. Finally just died suddenly. Completely dead in a few hours.
2012 Chevy Tahoe LTZ - HD tow package
2017 Rockwood 2703WS Emerald Edition
raspivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:43 PM   #6
Site Team
Something sounds off. It shouldn't be randomly trying to sync to someone's phone.
<a href= target=_blank></a>
2014 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 3500 4wd Duramax/Allison
2014 Sabre 34REQS-6
asquared is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:29 PM   #7
Our Escape is a 2014 with the same Sync system found in Ford Fiestas. Here is an excerpt from one customer that had the same issue. Customer's battery was being drained by Bluetooth system in the Sync.

Quote, "That was until January, when Ford got in touch with Dan with a solution. It said it was an issue where the Bluetooth system would not disable when the engine was switched off. So, when stationary, the Fiesta was still searching for a Bluetooth device to connect to causing the battery to run flat."

This is the same issue I was experiencing, the Bluetooth system was still trying to connect to a phone.... Battery almost drained overnight. Unfortunately my software is updated to the latest Sync release. Solution shut off Bluetooth.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:38 PM   #8
hard to say for sure what it was, but unless you left the key on (which would kill the battery in itself) it shouldnt be trying to sync with your phone or anyone elses!
'14 XLR 395AMP
'16 Ram 3500 DRW, 6.7 cummins w/aisin trans and 4.10 gears
ykdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:30 PM   #9
Just go get the battery load tested.
JR Smith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:58 PM   #10
I can't speak to all Fords but the Sync system in our 2015 F-150 is designed so it stays on for 30 minutes after the truck is turned off or until you open the door to leave. Which ever comes first. It would not surprise me in the least that a software bug exist that could prevent everything from turning off like it should and thereby keep draining the battery. Not knowing what else might have been left running it could be enough to drain a battery overnight.

2015 F150 Ecoboost
2014 Palomini 142 CK
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote