Old 06-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #1

Classic Super Lite 5th 8528IKWS dry weight

Hi,
In the market for a fifth wheel and I'm finding the posted dry weights are off by several hundred pounds sometimes when compared to the actual number marked on the unit.
Before I get too excited about the 8528IKWS, can someone with this unit post the weight listed on their unit?
THX

Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:29 AM   #2

That IKWS is one beautiful camper.
The actual weight of the camper should not be too far from the 'dry weight', unless you add a bunch of options like slide awnings and atrium windows.
The biggest concern with these 'lightweight' Rockwood/Flagstaff campers is the poor floor design. They are a sandwich of two layers of very thin plywood with styrofoam in the middle, glued and pressed together. That thin top layer of plywood can flex and crush the underlying styrofoam, resulting in dips in the floor surface.
If you are careful to not stomp around with your shoes on, or put any high point loads on the floor, like a step ladder with sharp-edged feet, it is likely ok. We have one, and so far no issues, but we are very careful with it.
Otherwise, they are well-built and some of the nicest looking campers in that price range. The fit and finish on our Flagstaff was second-to-none.
And if the IKWS was available when we bought ours, that would have been our choice.

DonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #3

We have a 2011 8528 CKWS and the UVW is 7901 lbs. Our camper is loaded with atrium windows, slide out awnings, leather lazy boys, free standing dinette. The IKWS was not available when we purchased. It certainly would have been on our short list. As for the floor construction, no issues here. Value for dollar, a very good camper. I have not had any warranty issues. Actually, just one; I had to replace a leaky faucet. One note, I did see the diamond package IKWS at a RV show and I do believe the UVW was less than 8500 lbs. Hope this is helpful.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The newer campers we have coming on the lot all have a yellow sticker in the door stating the weight it left the factory at. Now you still have to add the weight of the propane, and battery, as none arrive with that, though the bottles are there, they are empty. The yellow sticker plus 100 pounds and you would be dry and ready, as long as the dealer doesn't add anything.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #5

Thanks all for your quick and great replies. A call to a nearby dealer had the Diamond package in the 8528IKWS and it came in at 8,041lbs. A regular 8528IKWs will definitely be under 8,000lbs. Keeping a fully loaded unit around 8,500lbs will be at 75% of the truck's tow specs. A pin weight of 1,500lbs is under 60% of max payload for the truck, so there is plenty of room to spare on the payload side. So this unit is definitely a possible go!
Looks like a trip to the dealer!
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
Camper Less Camping

We're placing our order at the end of the month for this model (ikws), question...grey tank capacity is listed at 76gal, is this split in half between the galley and shower or is the galley tank smaller than the shower tank?
If they are split evenly that only leaves 38 gal for the shower room (yuck!), anyway to rob space in the galley tank to gain more time between pulls (only an issue with no full hookup parks)?

Old 06-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
We're placing our order at the end of the month for this model (ikws), question...grey tank capacity is listed at 76gal, is this split in half between the galley and shower or is the galley tank smaller than the shower tank?
If they are split evenly that only leaves 38 gal for the shower room (yuck!), anyway to rob space in the galley tank to gain more time between pulls (only an issue with no full hookup parks)?

I would venture to say with almost 100% confidence that there are 2 grey water tanks. My ckws has 2 and it is a bit of a PIA.

2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags