Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2018, 06:42 PM   #1

Coleman Mach fan motor replacement

I have a 21' Flagstaff MicroLite FBRS. It has an Airxcel Coleman Mach AC in it. My fan is still working fine but I can hear a bearing becoming not a happy camper. It still glides for a good bit after it turns off. First is there any way to lubricate this thing? And if not, does anyone know a direct replace and a good place to get one? I have attached a picture of the motor tag and another of the assembly. thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fan1.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	173601   Click image for larger version

Name:	fan2.jpg
Views:	772
Size:	279.3 KB
ID:	173602  
Old 05-27-2018, 07:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeetzee View Post
I have a 21' Flagstaff MicroLite FBRS. It has an Airxcel Coleman Mach AC in it. My fan is still working fine but I can hear a bearing becoming not a happy camper. It still glides for a good bit after it turns off. First is there any way to lubricate this thing? And if not, does anyone know a direct replace and a good place to get one? I have attached a picture of the motor tag and another of the assembly. thank you!
Skeetzee, you may be able to oil the motor shaft on both sides of the motor. You will probably need a penetrating oil then some 3 In 1 oil. Unfortunately those type motors do not have replaceable bearings, just the cast brass slip bearing. If you can get oil into it, you may be able to get a few more seasons out of the motor. Once it seizes to the shaft, it's time to replace.
You should be able to get a replacement blower motor at an A/C supply business. You will need the H.P. size, the RPM and the Voltage & FLA. The new one will likely come with the start/run capacitor(s) and instructions on how to wire it up. Also you may have a couple of extra wires to reverse the motor rotation direction (CW or CCW).

The change out isn't difficult, just turn off the power and unbolt/re-bolt and unplug/re-plug wires to the motor. I replaced my condenser blower motor last spring on my 4 ton heat pump and it cost less than $100.

Good Luck on the repairs .... Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 JayRaven: Predator 3500i - Call Home Pearl River, Louisiana. on The Honey Island Swamp
https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...pic81807_1.gif
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:57 PM   #3

thank you..I know once it seizes it is toast..It is really still turning very freely still. I had it pretty much apart today and it looks easy to replace especially if you have 4 hands. Have to be careful not to punch the shaft through the cooling fins.
I assume the capacitor should be changed if the motor is changed..
You say use 'some penetrating oil then some 3 in one'..do you mean 2 different oils?
Old 05-27-2018, 09:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeetzee View Post
thank you..I know once it seizes it is toast..It is really still turning very freely still. I had it pretty much apart today and it looks easy to replace especially if you have 4 hands. Have to be careful not to punch the shaft through the cooling fins.
I assume the capacitor should be changed if the motor is changed..
You say use 'some penetrating oil then some 3 in one'..do you mean 2 different oils?
If the 3-in-1 oil soaks in, you won't need any penetrating oil. I was suggesting the penetrating oil in case the thicker oil would not flow into the bearing. Yes, if you replace the motor it will usually come with a capacitor in the box. Capacitors are usually the least dependable electrical items with motors. If they fail, the motor locks rotor and overheats burning the windings. I believe your picture of the nameplate shows a 2.5 micro Farad capacitor. Chances are if you buy from Coleman, the capacitor may be extra. You will get the best price from an A/C supply house with a generic motor. If you do end up replacing it, bring the old motor with you when you go to the supply house and they can double check to match up the generic motor for you.

Good Luck ..... Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 JayRaven: Predator 3500i - Call Home Pearl River, Louisiana. on The Honey Island Swamp
Old 05-27-2018, 09:26 PM   #5

This is for a household A/C, but it might still apply:

DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:37 PM   #6
Just as confused as you

I hope Swampy means 7.5 micro farad capacitor. It just may be the picture but the fan blades look wacky. Can you grab hold of the shaft and see if it has up/down/side to side play. Did you try turning the fan slowly by hand and see if you feel or hear it rubbing? Check for mud dauber / hornets nest inside with a mirror .
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
I hope Swampy means 7.5 micro farad capacitor. It just may be the picture but the fan blades look wacky. Can you grab hold of the shaft and see if it has up/down/side to side play. Did you try turning the fan slowly by hand and see if you feel or hear it rubbing? Check for mud dauber / hornets nest inside with a mirror .
Scrapper, Thanks! The old eyes aren't what they once were. I blew up the picture and sure enough it is 7.5uF. It is amazing what glaucoma takes away from you without you even realizing it's gone!

..... Swampy!

Old 05-28-2018, 12:49 PM   #8

Porous bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Skeetzee, you may be able to oil the motor shaft on both sides of the motor. You will probably need a penetrating oil then some 3 In 1 oil. Unfortunately those type motors do not have replaceable bearings, just the cast brass slip bearing. If you can get oil into it, you may be able to get a few more seasons out of the motor. Once it seizes to the shaft, it's time to replace.

Usually these sleeve bearings are cast bronze. At the time of manufacture, they are heated, then quenched in oil which fills the pores. As the motor warms, oil is released to provide lubrication.

Presumably, you could remove the bearings and re-do the process, but I wouldn't attempt it on a crimped-together motor like that one.

If it isn't too hard to remove the motor, you could take advantage of gravity. Put one shaft up and drizzle 20 weight or 30 weight oil around the shaft, spin the motor by hand and let it trickle in for an hour. Then invert and do the same thing to the other end.

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:57 PM   #9

those blades are whacky because I loosened the fan blade to tilt it out a little bit. I did turn it by hand. It turns very nicely but I can hear a little rubbing going on. I noticed the 7.5 finger check. I did check for wasp activity and don't see any. Thanks for all the tips..
Old 05-28-2018, 03:35 PM   #10

I googled it. The cheapest I see one is $100 for a Fasco. No doubt better than OEM.

Name:	IMG_1527539686.196735.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	173709

Name:	IMG_1527539695.038682.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	173710
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Usually these sleeve bearings are cast bronze. At the time of manufacture, they are heated, then quenched in oil which fills the pores. As the motor warms, oil is released to provide lubrication.

Presumably, you could remove the bearings and re-do the process, but I wouldn't attempt it on a crimped-together motor like that one.

If it isn't too hard to remove the motor, you could take advantage of gravity. Put one shaft up and drizzle 20 weight or 30 weight oil around the shaft, spin the motor by hand and let it trickle in for an hour. Then invert and do the same thing to the other end.

Larry
Any lube you do now will likely only buy some time. Might want to start shopping for a new motor for the long term.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
You should be able to get a replacement blower motor at an A/C supply business. You will need the H.P. size, the RPM and the Voltage & FLA. The new one will likely come with the start/run capacitor(s) and instructions on how to wire it up. Also you may have a couple of extra wires to reverse the motor rotation direction (CW or CCW).

The change out isn't difficult, just turn off the power and unbolt/re-bolt and unplug/re-plug wires to the motor. I replaced my condenser blower motor last spring on my 4 ton heat pump and it cost less than $100.

I did this on a noisy home bathroom fan (Broan). It would last for a couple months, then I'd do it again. After putting up with it for about 18 months, I replaced the motor.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:07 PM   #13

Thank you everyone..I have another motor on the way. Might as well bite the bullet instead of worrying about it.

Tags
fan, replacement