Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2016, 04:07 PM   #21
Senior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesark View Post
What are the troubles???
Many of us have had issues with this fridge not holding a steady temp while connected to shore pwr. and absolutely will not maintain a cold temp while on the road using propane.

I could care less about the blue light... just would be nice if it worked properly.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:24 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post
Many of us have had issues with this fridge not holding a steady temp while connected to shore pwr. and absolutely will not maintain a cold temp while on the road using propane.

I could care less about the blue light... just would be nice if it worked properly.
Thanks for your input, I haven't heard or read about that issue yet.

Do you know which Dometic models have this problem?
jonesark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:31 PM   #23
Senior Senior Member

DMR 702

temps swing between freezing and low 40s on shore power. Works somewhat better on propane while parked but will not stay cold while traveling on propane. So we just travel with a good old ice chest when we move.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:55 PM   #24

Smile Considering Flagstaff V-Lite

To elaborate about our experience, our V-Lite is a 2012, bought in December of 2011. Ours is not as "up to date" as the one you are looking at, and improvements have been made. You most likely won't have to worry about the lift kit, because adjustments have been made, but keep an eye on the size of the space between the wheel and wheel liner (upper wheel well) when purchased and as you use it, particularly on the side with a "super slide". Also, the plywood flooring is no doubt in response to the soft spots that develop in the floors particularly around vents; owner fixes often included replacing sub-floor with plywood or thin wood laminate flooring. If you have found a layout and interior you like, that is probably the best trailer for you, the MOST important thing you can do is inspect, inspect and inspect some more. Look the trailer over front to back, inside and out for anything that looks or feels flimsy or isn't a good match, or indicates shoddy workmanship. Check every access for water pipes and electrical wiring and appliances installations to see if wiring, pipes and devices seem to be installed well or are loose, flimsy or if there are gaping holes around such areas. If you find several problems, be concerned. If the dealer says it is no big deal and everything will be fixed before you take it home, look at other models with a different dealer and compare. When you have finally chosen and purchased your trailer and are ready to take it home, make sure you get a thorough PDI, and video it...you won't remember everything said. During the PDI, again thoroughly look for any blemish, defect, loose trim, cracks, etc. (Units have been known to be damaged on the dealer's lot during preparation for the official delivery.) If the unit you are looking at looks poorly finished, it probably is and will give you grief down the road. Every manufacturer and every model has good units and bad units, the goal is to find a good unit from a good dealer (one who will work with you AFTER the sale as well as before). That being said, we bought our unit off the lot. Each model, every year, has several options, and each model on a lot may have the same options or different options. Such options include, but are not limited to, slide awnings, swivel rockers or recliners, with or without fireplace (electric heater), clothing bar or shelves in extra storage closet (if your unit has one) etc. These options may or may not be additional cost and are on units you can buy off the dealer's lot. Other options are add-ons and almost always cost extra; these can include the slide awnings, a second air conditioner, different brand tires, etc. These are special ordered on a unit that is yet to be built. Ask about the dealers you are looking at by name on line so that if others have experience with them, you can get a good idea of their after sale service.

We personally preferred to buy off the lot so we got the exact unit we inspected. Had we ordered a unit, I would have only made two different option choices that we can still change if we want, but we have never bothered. Our acquaintances who have had major problems all ordered trailers and fifth-wheels with the options they wanted, but then had a lot of time without their trailers while repairs had to be made. That certainly doesn't happen to all, or maybe even very many, buyers who order their units, but of those who I happen to be acquainted with who had major or time consuming problems, all were in the special order units, and only minor problems with off the lot units. Just our experience.

As for the V-Lite/Windjammer v-nose difference, DH heard from the factory tour guide that the delivery drivers have said there is only about one mpg difference between the v-nose and flat nose trailers. There does seem to be some improvement in maneuverability, depending on the driver. The main differences seem to be the use of space inside...we have the front kitchen, which we both love, which also includes the full side to side bathroom. The floor plan you are looking at has great reviews from families. Our personal experience, and that of the few other V-Lite owners we have talked with (at the 2013 Goshen rally) has been positive and we all loved our units and were very pleased with fit and finish, and we didn't need the factory assistance and repairs that many other styles/brands did....I don't know about the other V-Lite owners experience on this.

It is a bit nerve wracking trying to decide on what will be the best trailer for your family and yourself, but it is also a lot of fun looking and comparing. Hope you enjoy the search and love the trailer you choose! (IMHO...V-Lites are the BEST!)

2012 V Lite 30WFKSS
2011 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi
WWTTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:32 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWTTA View Post
To elaborate about our experience, our V-Lite is a 2012, bought in December of 2011. Ours is not as "up to date" as the one you are looking at, and improvements have been made. You most likely won't have to worry about the lift kit, because adjustments have been made, but keep an eye on the size of the space between the wheel and wheel liner (upper wheel well) when purchased and as you use it, particularly on the side with a "super slide". Also, the plywood flooring is no doubt in response to the soft spots that develop in the floors particularly around vents; owner fixes often included replacing sub-floor with plywood or thin wood laminate flooring. If you have found a layout and interior you like, that is probably the best trailer for you, the MOST important thing you can do is inspect, inspect and inspect some more. Look the trailer over front to back, inside and out for anything that looks or feels flimsy or isn't a good match, or indicates shoddy workmanship. Check every access for water pipes and electrical wiring and appliances installations to see if wiring, pipes and devices seem to be installed well or are loose, flimsy or if there are gaping holes around such areas. If you find several problems, be concerned. If the dealer says it is no big deal and everything will be fixed before you take it home, look at other models with a different dealer and compare. When you have finally chosen and purchased your trailer and are ready to take it home, make sure you get a thorough PDI, and video it...you won't remember everything said. During the PDI, again thoroughly look for any blemish, defect, loose trim, cracks, etc. (Units have been known to be damaged on the dealer's lot during preparation for the official delivery.) If the unit you are looking at looks poorly finished, it probably is and will give you grief down the road. Every manufacturer and every model has good units and bad units, the goal is to find a good unit from a good dealer (one who will work with you AFTER the sale as well as before). That being said, we bought our unit off the lot. Each model, every year, has several options, and each model on a lot may have the same options or different options. Such options include, but are not limited to, slide awnings, swivel rockers or recliners, with or without fireplace (electric heater), clothing bar or shelves in extra storage closet (if your unit has one) etc. These options may or may not be additional cost and are on units you can buy off the dealer's lot. Other options are add-ons and almost always cost extra; these can include the slide awnings, a second air conditioner, different brand tires, etc. These are special ordered on a unit that is yet to be built. Ask about the dealers you are looking at by name on line so that if others have experience with them, you can get a good idea of their after sale service.

We personally preferred to buy off the lot so we got the exact unit we inspected. Had we ordered a unit, I would have only made two different option choices that we can still change if we want, but we have never bothered. Our acquaintances who have had major problems all ordered trailers and fifth-wheels with the options they wanted, but then had a lot of time without their trailers while repairs had to be made. That certainly doesn't happen to all, or maybe even very many, buyers who order their units, but of those who I happen to be acquainted with who had major or time consuming problems, all were in the special order units, and only minor problems with off the lot units. Just our experience.

As for the V-Lite/Windjammer v-nose difference, DH heard from the factory tour guide that the delivery drivers have said there is only about one mpg difference between the v-nose and flat nose trailers. There does seem to be some improvement in maneuverability, depending on the driver. The main differences seem to be the use of space inside...we have the front kitchen, which we both love, which also includes the full side to side bathroom. The floor plan you are looking at has great reviews from families. Our personal experience, and that of the few other V-Lite owners we have talked with (at the 2013 Goshen rally) has been positive and we all loved our units and were very pleased with fit and finish, and we didn't need the factory assistance and repairs that many other styles/brands did....I don't know about the other V-Lite owners experience on this.

It is a bit nerve wracking trying to decide on what will be the best trailer for your family and yourself, but it is also a lot of fun looking and comparing. Hope you enjoy the search and love the trailer you choose! (IMHO...V-Lites are the BEST!)

Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to type all that out. As a newbie, we greatly appreciate all the detailed advice.

I'd love to buy one off the lot, but my wife has a few must haves so ordering may be in our future.

We've looked at probably 10 different models from 3 different manufacturers and really like the layout of the 30wtbks. One of my biggest fears is getting one of those units you discribed as "not so good" and spending more time with it in the shop than at the campsite.

I'm trying to put aside my "likes" and look more into buying a quality unit. Hence the reason I'm on this forum. The more pros and cons of each brand I can get the better I can make a decision.

I'm going to try and buy local, hoping this will increase my chance of getting service if/when I need it. But at the same time, this is a very small mom and pop operation which makes me nervous at their ability to give me a good deal and provide maintance in a timely manner.

Thanks again to the forum, keep the post coming!
Old 08-23-2016, 01:24 PM   #26

We have a 2013 30WTBSS, with 4 bunks in the front for our 4 kids. I don't think they are making 4 bunks now, but we love it. In the 4 years since we bought it (Sept. 2012), we have had few problems. It is holding up well and performs well. We have been very happy with our purchase.
DBplus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBplus4 View Post
We have a 2013 30WTBSS, with 4 bunks in the front for our 4 kids. I don't think they are making 4 bunks now, but we love it. In the 4 years since we bought it (Sept. 2012), we have had few problems. It is holding up well and performs well. We have been very happy with our purchase.
Great to hear!

Thank you
Old 08-23-2016, 01:51 PM   #28
Senior Senior Member

A perceived shortcoming of the Super Vee we have is lack of outside storage. Many of the flat fronts will have a front bedroom and consequently under bed pass through storage. After a few long road trips in ours... Oregon Coast, Lake Superior loop, 12 weeks in Florida last winter, and many shorter trips we have decided we have more than enough storage. I have a flipbak pickup box cover and keep extras stashed in there.

We owned a Shadow Cruiser as our first TT and this Flagstaff is magnitudes better made. I am a retired surveyor and wanted to buy a Surveyor in the worst way, ha-ha but never found one we thought was as nice as the Vee we ended up with. On the other end of the spectrum, we stopped at a couple of Artic Fox dealers when we went to the NW earlier this year and saw that they are extremely well made and sit on some pretty impressive wheels and tires. But could not get close to trading ours and over $15K to get into one of there's of a similar size.

Good Luck with your search.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:51 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post
A perceived shortcoming of the Super Vee we have is lack of outside storage. Many of the flat fronts will have a front bedroom and consequently under bed pass through storage. After a few long road trips in ours... Oregon Coast, Lake Superior loop, 12 weeks in Florida last winter, and many shorter trips we have decided we have more than enough storage. I have a flipbak pickup box cover and keep extras stashed in there.

We owned a Shadow Cruiser as our first TT and this Flagstaff is magnitudes better made. I am a retired surveyor and wanted to buy a Surveyor in the worst way, ha-ha but never found one we thought was as nice as the Vee we ended up with. On the other end of the spectrum, we stopped at a couple of Artic Fox dealers when we went to the NW earlier this year and saw that they are extremely well made and sit on some pretty impressive wheels and tires. But could not get close to trading ours and over $15K to get into one of there's of a similar size.

Good Luck with your search.
We felt like the storage was enough for us in the V-lite series. Being our longest trips will be 5-8 days, storage shouldn't be an issue.

Glad to hear you feel the Flagstaff is better made.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:12 PM   #30

So far we love our V-lite with the front kitchen. We had several minor problems at the beginning which our dealer took about 2 months to fix. They kept using parts excuse and other excuses of why it took so long. But afterwards, it has been a good trailer with no problems. My only complaint is the lack of outside storage but I store the outside stuff in the bed of my truck. There is been a lot of complaints regarding the water filter housing leaks. Although I did not have this problem but because of water filter location in the bedroom, I removed the filter and placed a PVC connector in it's place. There is a lot of info on these forum regarding how to do this. I use the Camco blue filters from Walmart. Good luck on your purchase. The key is to choose a good dealer.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:13 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by txredfish View Post
So far we love our V-lite with the front kitchen. We had several minor problems at the beginning which our dealer took about 2 months to fix. They kept using parts excuse and other excuses of why it took so long. But afterwards, it has been a good trailer with no problems. My only complaint is the lack of outside storage but I store the outside stuff in the bed of my truck. There is been a lot of complaints regarding the water filter housing leaks. Although I did not have this problem but because of water filter location in the bedroom, I removed the filter and placed a PVC connector in it's place. There is a lot of info on these forum regarding how to do this. I use the Camco blue filters from Walmart. Good luck on your purchase. The key is to choose a good dealer.
Thank you! What can I search to find the threads on the water filter?
Old 08-26-2016, 09:32 PM   #32

Just do a forum search on "filter" or go to forum "plumbing and water systems". There are several threads on how to bypass the water filter and replace with a 1/2" PVC connector.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:58 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by txredfish View Post
Just do a forum search on "filter" or go to forum "plumbing and water systems". There are several threads on how to bypass the water filter and replace with a 1/2" PVC connector.
Found them...thanks.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:45 PM   #34

Easy to bypass the filter. I would not let that sway your decision one way or the other. Other things more important like price, layout, weight, etc.
Some people have no problem with it. But being located inside under the closet and in the bedroom, I did not want to wake up some morning and have a bedroom floor full of water. I prefer the filter to be outside.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:54 PM   #35
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Mine is under the bathroom sink no problem but will eventually get rid of it as we never use it. Use one attached to the outside water connection. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:20 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Mine is under the bathroom sink no problem but will eventually get rid of it as we never use it. Use one attached to the outside water connection. Later RJD
I'd like to just leave it alone and use an outside connection but the thought of it coming lose in the middle of the night like some have experienced sounds awful.

Tags
flagstaff, v-lite