Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2016, 08:11 PM   #1

Considering Flagstaff V-lite

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and new to FR flagstaff TT. My wife, little girl and I are looking to get back into camping. We've looked at Fun Finders (cruiser RV) and Kodiak (dutchman) and recently checked out our first V-lite.

I know sometimes people come to forums to troubleshoot and complain but I'd love some the good and bad of the Flagstaff V-lite line of products.

Specifically we are looking at the 30WTBSK V-lite for those who may have that model. Also we will be towing with a F250 diesel.

Thanks in advance, any and all info and advice is greatly appreciated.
jonesark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:26 PM   #2
Site Team

Rockwood is the exact twin brand of the Flagstaff.
They're made in the same factory.
There are way more Rockwood dealers than Flagstaff dealers, therefore more price competition.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Rockwood is the exact twin brand of the Flagstaff.
They're made in the same factory.
There are way more Rockwood dealers than Flagstaff dealers, therefore more price competition.
Ok.....thanks.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:25 AM   #4

We have a 2011 Vlite and have pulled it with a 2011 RAM 5.7L. We did a 10 week trip with it and several smaller trips. The only major problem we have had is where the axle sagged. We purchased a lift kit for $150 and corrected the gap of the tires to the top of the wheel well. Forrest river provided kits to newer Vlites to correct those problems. I did add add Air Lift air bags to the RAM. It has been a very good unit other than that. We have added a few mods, front power jack, power monitor, bigger scissor jacks due to the lift kit addition, LED lamps and more storage for sewer hoses and fittings on the back bumper. It has been very comfortable and enjoyable unit.
Hope you find the right trailer for you.

2012 V Lite 30WFKSS
2011 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi
WWTTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesark View Post
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and new to FR flagstaff TT. My wife, little girl and I are looking to get back into camping. We've looked at Fun Finders (cruiser RV) and Kodiak (dutchman) and recently checked out our first V-lite.

I know sometimes people come to forums to troubleshoot and complain but I'd love some the good and bad of the Flagstaff V-lite line of products.

Specifically we are looking at the 30WTBSK V-lite for those who may have that model. Also we will be towing with a F250 diesel.

Thanks in advance, any and all info and advice is greatly appreciated.
Not sure you can access rear bedroom and other areas without deploying slides! Just something for you to check at Dealers while you "Play House"! As of 1 month ago they are now using 5/8 T&G plywood for the Floors and bat insulation! They have lots of features for the Level of unit they are! Youroo!!
Old 08-22-2016, 11:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWTTA View Post
We have a 2011 Vlite and have pulled it with a 2011 RAM 5.7L. We did a 10 week trip with it and several smaller trips. The only major problem we have had is where the axle sagged. We purchased a lift kit for $150 and corrected the gap of the tires to the top of the wheel well. Forrest river provided kits to newer Vlites to correct those problems. I did add add Air Lift air bags to the RAM. It has been a very good unit other than that. We have added a few mods, front power jack, power monitor, bigger scissor jacks due to the lift kit addition, LED lamps and more storage for sewer hoses and fittings on the back bumper. It has been very comfortable and enjoyable unit.
Hope you find the right trailer for you.
Thank you.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Not sure you can access rear bedroom and other areas without deploying slides! Just something for you to check at Dealers while you "Play House"! As of 1 month ago they are now using 5/8 T&G plywood for the Floors and bat insulation! They have lots of features for the Level of unit they are! Youroo!!
Don't know if I completely follow you but thanks for the input!
Old 08-22-2016, 12:16 PM   #8
Georgia Rally Coordinator

We are on our 2nd V-lite and really like them. I imagine the one your looking at is you have youngens. The nice features the one your looking at has some good holding capacities for the tanks. The V-lite are well built and we have had only minor issues that were easily corrected. The Rockwood that was mentioned is built next door to the V-lite factory but I was not impressed the the construction of the Rockwood. We tour the plant last year an a few things concerned me during construction. I think you would like the V-Lite overall. One thing to consider is getting the 2nd ac which gives you a 50amp service. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
We are on our 2nd V-lite and really like them. I imagine the one your looking at is you have youngens. The nice features the one your looking at has some good holding capacities for the tanks. The V-lite are well built and we have had only minor issues that were easily corrected. The Rockwood that was mentioned is built next door to the V-lite factory but I was not impressed the the construction of the Rockwood. We tour the plant last year an a few things concerned me during construction. I think you would like the V-Lite overall. One thing to consider is getting the 2nd ac which gives you a 50amp service. Later RJD
Oddly enough, since I was told the Rockwood's are more common, there aren't many of those dealers around me.

And the 2nd AC is a must! Thanks for the input!
Old 08-22-2016, 12:32 PM   #10

Are the Flagstaff TT still having the axel clearance issues?

I've read a few horror stories associated with that!
Old 08-22-2016, 01:03 PM   #11
Wanna Be Camper

Our 2011 has been pretty solid except for a few issues I fixed myself. I don't think the axle issue was very widespread either.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:18 PM   #12
Senior Senior Member

We have a smaller V-Lite and love the big bedroom and wardrobe.

Be sure you get 15 inch wheels or larger. A porcelain toilet is nice as well.

One thing we love about ours is the extra large holding tanks as we stay at many parks that do not have a full hookup.

You may want to avoid the troubles associated with the Dometic blue light frige.

There's no MPG advantage I can see with the V front.

Our kitchen faucet had a slow leak from day one and we just kept a pan under it because it is in an impossible location to work on. But it has steadily slowed to a few drops a day, if that??

Anyway, all in all, we like ours very much and the troubles have not been too much to deal with.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post

You may want to avoid the troubles associated with the Dometic blue light frige.

What are the troubles???
Old 08-22-2016, 01:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskCampers View Post
Our 2011 has been pretty solid except for a few issues I fixed myself. I don't think the axle issue was very widespread either.
Thank you!
Old 08-22-2016, 01:30 PM   #15
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesark View Post
What are the troubles???
Ya just change out the blue light no problem. By now they may have stopped installing the blue.
to many complaints. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Ya just change out the blue light no problem. By now they may have stopped installing the blue.
to many complaints. Later RJD
Ok thanks..Yeah I just did a little research on it.

I can see where the blue light would be a little annoying.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:54 PM   #17

Our first trailer was a Windjammer 3008W by Rockwood. Sister line to the V-lites. I think what YooRoo was trying to say was that depending on the floorplan certain features/areas of the trailer cannot be accessed unless the slide(s) are out. For example, in our 3008, we could get to the fridge, the bathroom, or the bedroom if need be without putting the slide out. This can be convenient when stopping for lunch on the road or if the little one needs a bathroom in a hurry.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old car View Post
Our first trailer was a Windjammer 3008W by Rockwood. Sister line to the V-lites. I think what YooRoo was trying to say was that depending on the floorplan certain features/areas of the trailer cannot be accessed unless the slide(s) are out. For example, in our 3008, we could get to the fridge, the bathroom, or the bedroom if need be without putting the slide out. This can be convenient when stopping for lunch on the road or if the little one needs a bathroom in a hurry.
Thank you for explaining....I'm new to TT's so I didn't quite get what he was saying. Great points and something to consider.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:24 PM   #19

There are a lot of great people on this forum that have a broad range of expertise and knowledge. Glad you're with us and happy camping!

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old car View Post
There are a lot of great people on this forum that have a broad range of expertise and knowledge. Glad you're with us and happy camping!
I know you can get a "lemon" with any brand but I wanted to make sure if I do buy a V-lite that most people have had a good experience with them.

Little problems here and there don't bother me but major leaks, half the electrical not working, slides not fitting correctly...etc...those things are just plain poor manufacturing.

You guys had good luck with the FR roofs? I know Jayco prides themselves on the strongest, most durable roof...

I noticed it looks like FR uses a lot of foam in the roof. Is it supported any other way, or just vacuumed sealed wood around a solid foam piece?

Tags
flagstaff, v-lite