Old 07-11-2011, 04:39 AM   #1

Question Converter/Charger replacment

From all appearances, the original converter/charger in our '06 Flagstaff has quit. The unit has a WFCO panel with a 8945MBA Main Board Assembly.

My question is this:

Should I replace the assembly with an exact board 8945MBA Main Board Assembly For 8945 ANP or can I use one of the Intelli-power converter/chargers with the same output? I can find the exact replacement, but also am looking at the

Intelli-power 9100 45 amp Inteli-Power 9145

or

Intelli-Power 9245 Converter/Charger 45 Amp 9200 w/ Charge Wizard

The only apparent differences in the two unit above seems to be that the 9200 unit has the Charge Wizard built in.

I talked with a rep at Camping World and was told that any unit could be installed - it wasn't critical that the original type be used.

Has anybody out there switched and if so, were there any problems with the units fitting properly or creating any electrical problems?

The prices I have found for all three are comparable on the web.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Thanks!

Old 07-11-2011, 07:50 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

As far as I know the CW rep is correct. There is nothing unique about the WFCO units. I would look carefully at the footprint of the Intelipower to make sure it will fit in the same space as the WFCO without major cabinet work.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwvwadc View Post
From all appearances, the original converter/charger in our '06 Flagstaff has quit. The unit has a WFCO panel with a 8945MBA Main Board Assembly.

My question is this:

Should I replace the assembly with an exact board 8945MBA Main Board Assembly For 8945 ANP or can I use one of the Intelli-power converter/chargers with the same output? I can find the exact replacement, but also am looking at the

Intelli-power 9100 45 amp Inteli-Power 9145

or

Intelli-Power 9245 Converter/Charger 45 Amp 9200 w/ Charge Wizard

The only apparent differences in the two unit above seems to be that the 9200 unit has the Charge Wizard built in.

I talked with a rep at Camping World and was told that any unit could be installed - it wasn't critical that the original type be used.

Has anybody out there switched and if so, were there any problems with the units fitting properly or creating any electrical problems?

The prices I have found for all three are comparable on the web.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Thanks!
I replaced my 55 wfco with an intelli-power 75 and used the wfco housing.
i did have to make some minor mods. to the unit but any one with hand tools and a few normal power tools can do it .
i also purchased the charge wizard and loved it !
Old 08-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #4

Same here....changed mine out last summer. Was on the road so I really didn't care what brand I bought, just that I got my power back and especially AC.
Had to make some modifications, but was able to basically get it installed and working. Did the correct job after I got back home. All is well now.
Koodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedagi View Post
Well I got to the bottom of it today. While on the phone with the WFCO tech,we decided my MBA " main board assembly " was bad.
It looks like $ 150.00 that wont go to Christmas gifts.
It's looks like the "main board assembly" of my WFCO WF-8955AN power center is bad, just like yours. One option is to buy a new 8955MBA to replace the bad one. This, as you say, is a bit pricey. (One thing I don't quite understand is that an entire new 8955 power center seems to cost about the same, and that's got to include the main board, right?)

But something else I'm considering is bypassing the existing (bad) 8955MBA board and connecting something like a PowerMax PM3-55 unit, an Iota DLS-55 unit, or an Intelli-Power PD9160A behind my power center. Will this work?

That is, can I treat one of those as almost a drop-in replacement for the 8955MBA main board? Are the inputs/outputs compatible? Would the ventilation be ok? Would mounting be a problem?

dimensions:
WFCO 8955MBA: 12" x 15" x 8"
PowerMax PM3-55: 7.15" x 10.5" x 3.45"
Iota DLS-55: 9.7" x 6.7" x 3.4"
Intelli-Power PD9160A: 3.6" x 8" x 9"
Intelli-Power PD9140A: 4.5" x 8.25" x 7.25"

(This is concerning a 2005 Wildwood 311BHBS, for what it's worth.)

[update] I'm editing this to say two things:
1) I probably should have posted to this other thread.
2) The Intelli-Power PD4655 unit seems to have been designed to be an actual drop-in replacement for the WFCO 8955MBA.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:09 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I replaced my wfco charger 55amp with a 9200 series
Progressive dynamics 70 amp with charge wizard.
IT WAS A LITTLE bigger but I made it fit in the wfco unit with very
Little work.
Pm me for more info if you need.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:04 PM   #7

I just replaced the 12v power converter in my 55-amp WFCO 8955 unit with a PowerMax PM3-55. I considered the Progressive Dynamics Inteli-Power units you mention, and also ones from Iota and PowerMax. The reason I went with PowerMax was primarily on price. Mine was $105 plus $15 priority shipping.

The PM3-55 fit in the WFCO cabinet, but just barely. I had to fold up the metal tabs on one side of the converter or else the space wouldn't have been deep enough.

It seems to be working well so far.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:47 PM   #8

Here are the dimension of various models, for posterity, as best as I can determine them over the internet. "Deep" means with respect to the opening in the WFCO cabinet which, since the units go in sideways, is what the manufacturers would probably designate as width.

Code:
WFCO dimensions       : 8.6  deep,  5.9  wide, 3.9  high  (credit to f1100turbo)
Iota          DLS-55  : 6.7  deep,  9.7  wide, 3.4  high
PowerMax      PM3-55  : 7.15 deep, 10.5  wide, 3.45 high
Intelli-Power PD9160A : 8"   deep,  9"   wide, 3.6  high  (same for the PD9260C model, but apparently the PD9140A model is too tall at 4.5")
Parallax      7455    : 7"   deep, 12.38 wide, 4.13 high  (too wide?)
I listed depth first because I think it's the crucial dimension. The PM3-55 unit I ended up installing should have had 1.45" to spare, but actually it was tight. It has mounting wings on either side, which I guess don't contribute to the 7.15" figure because I had to bend the wings upward on one side for it to fit in the WFCO cabinet opening. (If I had it to do over I might instead cut two slots into the back of the WFCO cabinet for the wings to slide into. This would have been cleaner and held it more securely, but I didn't have appropriate tools at the time.)

As for width, the PM3-55 is the second longest in the table at 10.5" inches. It fit into the cabinet easily but the way I chose to handle its 120v power cord consumed some of the clearance on the left side. As it ended up, there may be a bit less than the 1" clearance on each side recommended by the manual. I suspect a Parallax 7455 would be too wide to fit, but then again this guy didn't report any troubles.

Overall, an Iota model might have fit in there most easily.
bitguru
Old 05-05-2012, 12:02 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Glad you got it going!
wasn't hard at all as I stated right?