Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #21
RV Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post

First see if there is any remaining warranty, if there is will it transfer ??

Here is a website for a product called Seamfil made specifically for plastic laminate... many colors available.Lots of good info. on this site. Just a suggestion, if you have a local counter top shop or cabinet shop stop by and get a quote on repairs or they may have Semfil available for sale.Check the link below.

SeamFil : Laminate repair. Repair nicks, seams and gouges : American Technology Inc.
I would NOT recommend using SeamFil on this problem.

First it is an extremely rigid material once cured, I suspect the edge banding is a bit flexible and the patch will just open up. The rule of thumb with tile is grout the field, the flat, and caulk any change of plane. You need a flexible solution, good old caulk.

If a good color match cannot be found we used to color our own with a little food coloring. Mix up, trowel in and smooth out with a damp rag.

Next, Seamfil is not made to use on verticle surfaces. It can be messy and run if used for this application. Seamfil is really meant for fine, 1/16" or so, gaps in seam fit ups and minor gouges.
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

??? I keep looking a the photo of the countertop and see nothing worse than the edge moulding having separated at the outside corner.

I'd remove back to the point where it's solidly attached, clean off the old adhesive as best you can and re-glue it on with a good contact adhesive. You may have to hold it in place with tape 'til the adhesive cures.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
??? I keep looking a the photo of the countertop and see nothing worse than the edge moulding having separated at the outside corner.

I'd remove back to the point where it's solidly attached, clean off the old adhesive as best you can and re-glue it on with a good contact adhesive. You may have to hold it in place with tape 'til the adhesive cures.

Dave
x2 Dave! We have the same problem with our countertop extension inside. Its like they didn't cut the piece big enough to go around the corner. When it "dies" my DH will make one from solid surface material, so no t-moulding involved. He has to re-make the outside shelf before the camping season because it got water damaged on our 1st or 2nd outing and swelled; we've just been living with it, but this year the hardware pulled out of the cheapo plywood. No problems with the inside one yet, but I'm very careful with anything wet.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapotims View Post
I bought this unit from an individual who used it twice. She bought it in March 2012. I don't think the warranty is transferable. I guess I will try and seal it with colored caulk and hope that I don't bugger it up too badly. Thanks to everyone for the helpful info.
Here is another product I think you could use if you need something that has more give or flexibility and can also be used on vertical surfaces. They make a caulk type product as well as a seamfil type product. Made for plastic laminate. Seamfil type product not recommended vertical surfaces.

As some other posters have said T MLDG. sucks.

Color Match Caulk | Laminate Kitchen Countertop Repair | Seam Filler - Form Fill
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote