Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2013, 12:31 AM   #1
2012 Micro Lite 21 FBRS

Counter top material question

I recently purchased a 2012 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21FBRS. I looked at the material used in the counter tops and now I am panicing. They look like formica covered particle board with a edge covering (wrap). My question is: What material is this and if it is indeed particle board, what can be done to stop water from rolling off and down into the edge where it will swell and be useless.
Guapotims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapotims View Post
I recently purchased a 2012 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21FBRS. I looked at the material used in the counter tops and now I am panicing. They look like formica covered particle board with a edge covering (wrap). My question is: What material is this and if it is indeed particle board, what can be done to stop water from rolling off and down into the edge where it will swell and be useless.
Formica covered particle board is pretty standard in RVs and homes.

My kitchen counter at home is L shaped and the long leg is 10 feet long made of Formica covered particle board. Our kitchen is 25 years old and still no swelling or delamination.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
2012 Micro Lite 21 FBRS

There is a gap where the top meets the side in my RV and it is not a gap in my home counter top. (Water can get in easily). Anyone have any suggestion as to how to seal this? I will try to post a picture soon.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
2012 Micro Lite 21 FBRS

Forest River Forums - Guapotims's Album: Laminated counter top
Old 01-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

I would use a waterproof cement/caulk; they come in colors so try to get one close or get a paint-able caulk and use hobby plastic model enamel to mix a color that is an exact match (or close enough to blend in).

Leave a slight dip in the sealant so the enamel will lie flat when it dries.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

We posted at the same time. The "leave a dip" should not be a problem. They also make a dark brown caulk so, no painting.

Hard to find in squeeze tubes, they are all over the place in 10 oz caulk gun size.

https://www.google.com/#q=dark+brown...w=1402&bih=843
Old 01-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
2012 Micro Lite 21 FBRS

Thanks herk7769! This looks to be the answer that I am seeking!
Old 01-23-2013, 12:31 AM   #8

You have a new unit under warranty . After looking at the picture it looks like bad workmanship . I would contact forest river or your dealer and request a replacement of the counter . It is not built right . Jim
FarmerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:29 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerJim View Post
You have a new unit under warranty . After looking at the picture it looks like bad workmanship . I would contact forest river or your dealer and request a replacement of the counter . It is not built right . Jim
X2
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Judging by the picture, it's the countertop moulding on the outside edge of the counter. I had a similiar problem on an inside curved corner on a TT. These moulding are glued in place and this has come loose.

I'd try to soften the adhesive a bit with a hair dryer and push it back in place. If you fit the moulding back in place around that curved outside edge, it will have to be worked along each edge away from the corner. The moulding should stay in place once it's cooled and adhesive is set.

Yes, this is warranty work that should be done by the dealer, but how much inconvenience do you want to endure for a 10 minute fix. If you have a list of things that need to be addressed, by all means take it to the dealer.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #11
RV Newbie

Yes, if I'm seeing this right, it is just a bit of sloppy workmanship. The file marks on the radius of the laminate top suggests laziness (tool marks on a laminate top are a no no) and the fit between the edge strip should be right to bottom the top laminate.

I am a retired finish carpenter, cabinet maker and kitchen installer and I routinely cringe when I see the workmanship and fit and finish on most RV's on the market. I have rebuilt about half of the cabinetry in my Lexington, SO FAR. I was less than pleased to find they used wood grained contact paper to cover over large gaps between a few cabinet stiles...

The way they build these things, from the inside out, make them prone to poor final fit ups. It you're not aware, most of the lower cabinets and interior walls are installed before the exterior walls are hung.
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Just me, but I would flat out let the dealer handle this one. Several possibilities here as some have said. POOR workmanship, wrong size edge banding or T-moulding.What's worrisome is the GAP between the edge banding and the surface, it looks like the particleboard or MDF is exposed and in that case have the dealer or FR build a new one. DON'T EXCEPT a repair job.

As a MFGr's REP in architectural wood products for many years I think this will only get worse as time goes by with just a repair job if in fact the sub-strait is exposed.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

After second look at the photo of the top. This problem is about fit or possibly swollen particleboard... could have gotten wet in the storage or manufacturing process????? .With good tight joints , counter tops will last many years but this one is very suspect.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #14

It absolutely is bad workmanship ! It will swell more in the future . Any temporary fix will be just that "temporary". As in , it will go bad AFTER the warranty expires ! I'll bet almost every one on this forum has had a counter top swell ,at home or in one of our campers. Either on the edge or at a corner miter ! If it was mine I would try to get this fixed while I had a warranty . Jim
FarmerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #15

Prob. MDO Not partical board. Mdo is a water resistant mdf. (medium density fiberboard) common to use this as laminate substrate
Bodean614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

clarify

Just to clarify,

MDO Medium density overlaid plywood.

MDF Medium density fiberboard.(a composite panel)

Particleboard is what it says... particleboard.

Particleboard : Composite Panel Association

Medium Density Fiberboard : Composite Panel Association

MDO (Medium Density Overlay) Plyform - Concrete Form Panels | APA - The Engineered Wood Association
Old 01-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

MDO plywood generally comes with ext. glue.

MDO generally comes with int. glue. It can be had with moisture resistant or ext. glue.

Particleboard generally comes with int. glue, but can be purchased with ext. glue.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

In case anyone is wondering OSB ( oriented strand board ) .
Old 01-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #19
2012 Micro Lite 21 FBRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
Just me, but I would flat out let the dealer handle this one. Several possibilities here as some have said. POOR workmanship, wrong size edge banding or T-moulding.What's worrisome is the GAP between the edge banding and the surface, it looks like the particleboard or MDF is exposed and in that case have the dealer or FR build a new one. DON'T EXCEPT a repair job.

As a MFGr's REP in architectural wood products for many years I think this will only get worse as time goes by with just a repair job if in fact the sub-strait is exposed.
I bought this unit from an individual who used it twice. She bought it in March 2012. I don't think the warranty is transferable. I guess I will try and seal it with colored caulk and hope that I don't bugger it up too badly. Thanks to everyone for the helpful info.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:19 PM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapotims View Post
I bought this unit from an individual who used it twice. She bought it in March 2012. I don't think the warranty is transferable. I guess I will try and seal it with colored caulk and hope that I don't bugger it up too badly. Thanks to everyone for the helpful info.
First see if there is any remaining warranty, if there is will it transfer ??

Here is a website for a product called Seamfil made specifically for plastic laminate... many colors available.Lots of good info. on this site. Just a suggestion, if you have a local counter top shop or cabinet shop stop by and get a quote on repairs or they may have Semfil available for sale.Check the link below.

SeamFil : Laminate repair. Repair nicks, seams and gouges : American Technology Inc.