Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2015, 02:15 PM   #1

couple questions for Flagstaff 831RKBSS owners

1) is there a heat register in the bathroom?
2) can the a/c vents be closed/adjusted?
3) couch - air mattress? is there a storage drawer under the couch?

Many thanks. Leaning heavily toward this model for our next camper. Have a Salem 27RKSS now that is the same basic floorplan except for no bedroom slide. Was looking hard at rear entertainment models with fireplace but the added weight/length were going to be concerns.

no units at any dealers within 200 miles from me although my dealer carries Flagstaff he just doesn't have this floorplan in stock that I can experience in person.

thanks for any advice/help.
steveh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:13 PM   #2

Just bought one in the last 10 days.
1) Yes
2) Yes, all ceiling vents can be adjusted or closed similar to the vents on a car. There are lots of vents in this unit.
3) Yes & Yes Ours has the 67" couch with table and chairs in the slide.

There is a very large closet that goes all the way across the rear of the trailer, under the closet is a pass-through compartment with a sliding tray. The only draw back is having to go through the bathroom to get to the bedroom, but that means less unusable space. There is an exterior door in the bedroom so you are not trapped when the bathroom is occupied.
ShowMeCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:26 AM   #3

My bad steveh326, my trailer is an 831fkbss. I hope my answers would work for your model as well. I see your floorplan has the pass-by bathroom to the bedroom and the closet and pass-through storage across the front.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowMeCamping View Post
My bad steveh326, my trailer is an 831fkbss. I hope my answers would work for your model as well. I see your floorplan has the pass-by bathroom to the bedroom and the closet and pass-through storage across the front.
Thanks very much for the info, it really helps me with my decisions. It's the little things sometimes that grate on you during extended trips, like the bathroom freezing in our current unit because you could not adjust the ac vent and a too cold bathroom during fall/winter camping when the furnace is running. and 1 light over the bed so I keep my wife awake when I am reading and she wants to sleep.. like I said, little things...

I keep going back and forth between the 831rkbss and the 831ress. I would love to have the fireplace and opposable slides, but I am just not willing to give up the pass thru storage compartment to get them.. o well, life's a compromise, we have a rear kitchen layout now and love it so I know the 831rkbss will work for us.

Again, thanks for your help !
Old 02-04-2015, 01:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh326 View Post
1) is there a heat register in the bathroom?
2) can the a/c vents be closed/adjusted?
3) couch - air mattress? is there a storage drawer under the couch?
==============

The Flagstaff 831RKBSS and the Rockwood 8310SS are the exact same trailers under different Forest River badges. If you see one you've seen them both.
Yes there is a heat floor register in the bathroom.
The new 8310SS is coming out with leather tri-fold sofa/bed and leather chairs. Just saw one last week at the dealer. Probably the Flagstaff will follow.
There's a cute video on the Flagstaff at: .
You have individual spot lights over the bed. The new units are now coming out with a 7 cubic foot inside frig and still have the outside frig. New units have the 40 inch TV.
We will be attending the Novi, Michigan RV Show tomorrow and talking with the factory rep and dealers.
Good luck with your choice.
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:19 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to stillontheroad
Hi Steve; we had a Rockwood (sister to the Flagstaff) travel trailer and last year switched to a fifth wheel. We use our 2013 F150 and it tows our Rockwood 8280 WS. The truck handles the load very well and I find it is a much more comfortable (sway free) drive. This is just a suggestion if your tow vehicle is a truck. We now wish that we had gone with the 5th wheel in the first place. We just love the layout of this 5th wheel which is the same as the flagstaff you are looking at.
stillontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillontheroad View Post
Hi Steve; we had a Rockwood (sister to the Flagstaff) travel trailer and last year switched to a fifth wheel. We use our 2013 F150 and it tows our Rockwood 8280 WS. The truck handles the load very well and I find it is a much more comfortable (sway free) drive. This is just a suggestion if your tow vehicle is a truck. We now wish that we had gone with the 5th wheel in the first place. We just love the layout of this 5th wheel which is the same as the flagstaff you are looking at.
I would love a 5th wheel and may have one some day, but we also use our travel trailer for our business travel and 1) I have to reserve the enclosed truck bed for inventory, and 2) for bigger shows I sometimes tow the TT with a box truck, so for now, a TT best suits our needs.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillontheroad View Post
Hi Steve; ...We use our 2013 F150 and it tows our Rockwood 8280 WS.... We just love the layout of this 5th wheel which is the same as the flagstaff you are looking at.
=======================

Close but no cigar. The 8280WS does not have a bed slide out with full width wardrobe closet and 8 drawer dresser.
But they both have the same living / kitchen area floorplan.

BTW, the trailers can be ordered with the 50 Amp-with 2nd AC. Prep for $290 MSRP adder.
Happy trails,
Old 02-04-2015, 01:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb800si View Post
==============

The Flagstaff 831RKBSS and the Rockwood 8310SS are the exact same trailers under different Forest River badges. If you see one you've seen them both.
Yes there is a heat floor register in the bathroom.
The new 8310SS is coming out with leather tri-fold sofa/bed and leather chairs. Just saw one last week at the dealer. Probably the Flagstaff will follow.
There's a cute video on the Flagstaff at: .
You have individual spot lights over the bed. The new units are now coming out with a 7 cubic foot inside frig and still have the outside frig. New units have the 40 inch TV.
We will be attending the Novi, Michigan RV Show tomorrow and talking with the factory rep and dealers.
Good luck with your choice.
that is fantastic news, thanks ! I was looking at jayco eagle main reason their larger fridge, and was not sold on the air bed thing (but it was not a deal breaker)... both of your pieces of info are very welcome to hear. going to an RV show next weekend but it's a group of dealers, but hope to have some flagstaffs there I can check out in person. My dealer carries flagstaff, he just doesn't have this floorplan in stock but could/will order it for us if I decide to go this route. the 831rkbss/8310ss are almost identical to the 27rkss salem we have now, except with higher end finishes, etc and that beautiful bedroom configuration I am lusting after.

P.S. - I think I have watched that video a dozen times already... lol.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:54 PM   #10

Smile

Quote:
that is fantastic news, thanks ! ... the 831rkbss/8310ss are almost identical to the 27rkss salem we have now, except with higher end finishes, etc and that beautiful bedroom configuration I am lusting after. P.S. - I think I have watched that video a dozen times already... lol.
===================

You'll love the slide out bed. The last two trailers we had came with slide out beds. So much more room in them. Plus my wife loves the fact the residential queen bed has room on both sides to make the bed up. She hated the Cougar trailer bed we had because she couldn't make the bed very easy.
If we get it we are ordering with the carpet in the bedroom only. I don't like jumping out of bed on a cold floor. Also will get the optional fantastic fan over the kitchen area. Will exhaust the cooking heat up front.
Happy trails,
Old 02-04-2015, 04:09 PM   #11
Citrus County, Fl.

Minimal carpet silk includes carpet on the sides of the bed as long as the bed is on a slide. Air bed is no longer coming in them, it's now a regular sleeper sofa and not a jack knife. Also the medicine cabinet now has the storage shelf on the top instead of the bottom so the vertically challenged don't need to stand on a zoo to look in the mirror.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:51 PM   #12

The lights over the bed and couch swivel and can be pointed toward your book so there is no glare in your eyes.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:12 PM   #13

billb800si I am in the same boat as OP . But in the rockwood 8310SS my dealer has one on order so we cant get a feel for the living room . Did you get to see it with slides open? If so how did the size of the living room feel as far as watching tv from the chairs and the couch we really like everything else and from the pictures and videos cant really tell about room in there. Also if anybody else has this model what are your thoughts thanks .
Old 02-05-2015, 01:33 PM   #14

FYI, I just got confirmation from Flagstaff factory rep that all the improvements to the Rockwood line (7cf inside fridge, memory foam trifold couch, and 40" led tv) are also included on the Flagstaffs. that was my assumption since they come off the same assembly line, but nice to get confirmation on it. Good news for me since my dealer of choice carries Flagstaff.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdefeo1 View Post
billb800si I am in the same boat as OP . But in the rockwood 8310SS my dealer has one on order so we cant get a feel for the living room . Did you get to see it with slides open? If so how did the size of the living room feel as far as watching tv from the chairs and the couch we really like everything else and from the pictures and videos cant really tell about room in there. Also if anybody else has this model what are your thoughts thanks .
we have a Salem 27RKSS now which is essentially the same kitchen and living room. Watching TV from the chairs and couch is not an issue. The chair near the door does end up being at a fair angle to the tv but you can still see it fine. as far as room in the living room, we have entertained 4 people at a time and it's fine for that. Not nearly as much room as the units with opposing slides (rear entertainment and rear lounge, etc) but it is sufficient. the weight penalty of the extra slide plus our unique situation of camping in a couple places where it would be really tight to deploy the opposing slide helped make the 831rkss/8310SS be the best choice for us right now, but our circumstances are definitely unique I would guess to anyone else on here...
Old 02-05-2015, 02:24 PM   #16

Quote:
we have a Salem 27RKSS now which is essentially the same kitchen and living room. Watching TV from the chairs and couch is not an issue. The chair near the door does end up being at a fair angle to the tv but you can still see it fine. as far as room in the living room, we have entertained 4 people at a time and it's fine for that. Not nearly as much room as the units with opposing slides (rear entertainment and rear lounge, etc) but it is sufficient. the weight penalty of the extra slide plus our unique situation of camping in a couple places where it would be really right to deploy the opposing slide helped make the 831rkss/8310SS be the best choice for us right now, but our circumstances are definitely unique I would guess to anyone else on here...
Maybe not so unique we struggle with the same situations we would love to get the opposing slides except where we park our RV at home there is not enough room to open the curb side slide fully. also a few places we camp wouldn't work so well. compromise compromise !! To many choices I guess. We love our 29RLS but were wanting the bedroom slide bad.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:36 PM   #17

We just bought a 831rkbss and can't wait to hit the road

2014 Flagstaff 831RKBSS
2001 Suburban 2500/6.0
1999 Chevy 2500/6.0
mike618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike618 View Post
We just bought a 831rkbss and can't wait to hit the road
congrats ! I talked to my salesman the other day, he sent me the options list for the 831rkbss, I went thru it and checked everything I wanted, and he came back with a price and my trade in. Would take a beating on my trade but I guess that is to be expected. I could easily scratch off a few things on the options list and save 1500-2000. Wife and I are swinging by the dealer on the 10th to see the flagstaffs in person even tho they don't have this floorplan in stock they have several others so we can get a feel for the flagstaff line. Not sure whether it'll happen or not but the wife is warming to the idea...

Tags
flagstaff