Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #1

Crack near top of rear Slide - 2011 30WRLTS

I would like to know if anyone else that has the 30WRLTS V-Lite model trailer has had problems with an exterior crack near the living room slide. My wife and I purchased this trailer May, 2010. It is a 2011 year model. We actually had to wait about three months for delivery since this unit was built after we ordered it. We have used the trailer about 6 times since then and we have been very carefull with the trailer. We do not allow anyone to jump on the couch that is located in the slide. I took it to the dealer today and they took some pictures and contacted the warranty department to get the ok to fix the crack. I am concerned that this is a fairly new trailer and it already has this crack. Has anyone else experienced this problem with this model? I have attached a picture so that you could tell where the crack was.

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer 1.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	4869  

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Dakota EV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:01 PM   #2

I have seen this problem on other posts. I am guessing that the twisting of the frame or maybe putting to much lifting pressure on the stabilizing jacks may cause that section to crack, there is very little material left there after they cut out the wall for the slide out
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:55 PM   #3

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
Design problem.....they have since fixed. Your camper is going to have to be sent to the factory to have the wall replaced...no charge. I know thats not what you wanted to here(sent back to factory). At least they are fixing it for free!. I have the sister model in the Windjammer. They told me that I have to wait until it cracks to have it fixed, even though they addmitted to a design flaw. Oh well..it hasnt crack and everything is working great. Ive made note of it, so ill cross that bridge if it cracks!
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:01 AM   #4

Well BigRed, you hit the nail right on the head this time. I received a call from the factory yesterday. The rep said that they needed to bring the trailer back to the factory for repairs. While I will miss it while it is gone, I am impressed that the factory is doing the right thing and taking the proper steps to repair my trailer instead of just covering it up. Which by the way was what the dealer had suggested. They were going to patch the crack and wait to see if that fixed the problem. But the factory said no to that idea. So the trailer will be going back to the factory for repairs next week. We will be without it for about 4 weeks but I would much rather this happen than to have more problems with this later down the road. Mark one up for Forest River Factory support.

Freddie & Linda
TMPS for Camper & TV
Old 03-18-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
camping

I have the same trailer and no crack yet. I have had warranty work done at the factory and they are awesome. If you have any other issues let them know so they can get addressed while its in the shop.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:13 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

A similar crack on a Windjammer: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...5-a-10347.html

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:09 PM   #7

I have a 30WRKSS and don't see any cracks and hope I never do. I did want to share and idea with all of you regarding slide supports. If you recall, you received the slide lock bars with your unit. I have found these make great slide supports when you set up. I place two under each slide with the base sitting on a small piece of 2x6. Although they are not designed to support much weight, they do help stabilize the unit. I also found the x-wheel locks help keep the unit from bouncing while set up also. Those slides weigh enough that I always place a lift level under the wheels on the side of the slides to level my unit. Hope this helps.
brw549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:43 PM   #8

Good advise. I will look into doing that when I go camping again. Although I was told by the dealer that I should not support the slides while they were extended. I was just notified that I should have my camper back next week. I was also notified that the factory will extend my factory warranty by 6 months due to the problems that I have had. I think that that it is a good thing for the factory to extend my warranty. Hopefully this is the last problem that I will have for a while. I would like to get back to camping instead of taking the camper back for repairs. Also according to the information that I received the factory did extensive repairs to the trailer to repair the problem and also reinforced the frame to prevent this from happening again.

Freddie & Linda
TMPS for Camper & TV
Old 10-24-2011, 09:38 AM   #9

to Dakote EV,
We have a 07 831 BHSS that just just formed a Crack on the bottom of slide! Could you share the contact info with me on who you called?
poplejeune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #10

My 2009 Silverback is going back to the factory, my gel coat problems were a direct result of the frame twisting (lippert) right now it is at a dealership waiting for transport back to ILL. I live in Co, they tell me they won't be able to work on it until Feb, wow, I will have it gone for 5 plus months, I am so upset over this, I am glad we are getting the problems resolved, it took a lot of fighting with Forest River for them to accept responsibility, and now won't even have it for such a long time.
hihosilver09 is offline   Reply With Quote