Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2019, 07:01 PM   #1

Dexter

Does anyone have the Dexter Torsion axle and do you get and bucking because of it? I just got my trailer back from body shop where they put new roof on, I hit a branch on my maiden trip at Easter this year. Anyway the guy that repaired the roof had to tow my trail so to move it and he complained how bad it buck and pulled back. I have the Andersen Hitch and he has a reg 5th Wheel Hitch and I guess the Hitch doesn’t matter like I thought it might. He thought it was the axle configuration.
2019 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA
2002 Chevy 2500HD Duramax/ Allison TRANS.
Papatrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:12 AM   #2

I have the 'Torflex' axles on my Flagstaff, and it seems to me that (like everything) there are pros & cons to them. On the one hand it seems nice to have the rig riding on rubber. On the other hand it isn't so nice to have the rig riding on rubber....since there are no shock absorbers. Hit a big bump and the rig tends to 'over react'.

Overall, I like them, all you have to do is avoid the big bumps
dieseldodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:40 AM   #3

My Flagstaff 8528RKWS with torsion axles pulls really nice even with the upgraded E rated tires I have on it. I have never noticed a lot of bucking or pulling. Is it possible the amount of weight on your hitch is off?
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #4

This thread got me to thinking/wondering if there were any 'kits' out there to put shocks on a trailer with the Torflex suspension. I found exactly one outfit that did, Casita, that make small travel trailers. The kits are quite expensive in my opinion, but isn't everything these days? They (Casita) have videos of the before & after of the install and it does appear to help....just wish they didn't cost so much.

One advantage to the Torflex axles that I hadn't considered before is they tie the frame rails together, making the rig stiffer.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:29 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Our current 8529IKBS is our 2nd unit with torsion axles.
I have no complaints.

There is no more bucking or roughness compared to any of the other trailers I tow or have towed. In fact, I believe our contents of the trailer rides better with the torsion axles. Things just don't seem to move around as much inside.

It depends on what one defines as bucking.

To me bucking is more commonly referred to as 'porpoising' and comes from unevenness in road construction or expansion joints, especially concrete. Every trailer I own/owned is susceptible to this. Air ride pin boxes and air ride hitches help with this phenomenon.

"Chucking' on the other hand is usually slop in the king pin connection.
If you have a hitch with thinner jaws, you will get some chucking on start/stop because the machined boss in the king pin can/does move up/down in the jaws wrapped around the pin. One might also experience this going over a bridge abutment that is rough. (and aren't they all!)

You won't notice this on hitches with thicker jaws or an Andersen.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:49 AM   #6

I currently own three trailers with this suspension, the Flagstaff, a enclosed car trailer and a enclosed cargo trailer. I like it on the car trailer and the cargo trailer, not a big fan of it on the Flagstaff (8529IKBS). If it had shocks on it I'm pretty sure I'd like it more.

If we hit any big bumps on our destination (tough not to) I can count on the wife complaining about how badly things moved around. Especially whenever we encounter concrete roads (the ones that you feel like you're going down a railroad track) the rubber suspension really gets to going (as in basketball). With shock absorbers I assume it wouldn't be as bad.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:23 AM   #7
Just as confused as you

Maybe I have not bought enough trailers but I have never seen shocks on a trailer unless they are after market add-on or a dealer/manufacturer option.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:52 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldodge View Post
I currently own three trailers with this suspension, the Flagstaff, a enclosed car trailer and a enclosed cargo trailer. I like it on the car trailer and the cargo trailer, not a big fan of it on the Flagstaff (8529IKBS). If it had shocks on it I'm pretty sure I'd like it more.

If we hit any big bumps on our destination (tough not to) I can count on the wife complaining about how badly things moved around. Especially whenever we encounter concrete roads (the ones that you feel like you're going down a railroad track) the rubber suspension really gets to going (as in basketball). With shock absorbers I assume it wouldn't be as bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Maybe I have not bought enough trailers but I have never seen shocks on a trailer unless they are after market add-on or a dealer/manufacturer option.
Lots of trailers come with shocks from factory.
Very common in the spring suspension/higher end groups but two of my SOB (some other brand) Jaycos had them.

Isn't is funny about perception...
We have the same 8529IKBS and it is one of the best riding 5th wheels we've towed. I really like that each axle's suspension is independent of the other.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:43 AM   #9

Thanks for all the info from everyone. I also noticed that when I fill the water tank to full the ride was a lot better. The water tank filler is all the way to the back. So I am guessing the tank is very near the axle. I will probably always carry some water just have to figure out how much. I have also heard of people having problems when carrying water when traveling. Again thanks everyone
Papatrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:36 AM   #10

I would be nervous going very far, very often with a full water tank, especially if you were to encounter the roads/bumps that I referred to. The weight of the water would help calm the suspension somewhat I suppose, but I would have to wonder about the water tank itself. Back when I had our 2006 Wildcat there were a lot of Forest Rivers dropping their water tanks on the highway. I installed a brace under it (water tank) so it wouldn't happen to us. Don't know if it happens at all on the Flagstaffs.