Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2015, 09:39 AM   #21

My new trailer bought in July has the onboard filter and we do have it installed. I like others do not drink the water and use bottled water but use it for cooking and other functions. May be silly not to drink it as I use it for brushing my teeth but just what we are used to.

I have read in the Sandpiper forum that the type of filter used on the 2015s requires a pepritory filter, I cannot confirm but trust much of what I read on here. I will check in the spring for a filter and if it is costly, I will do what many others with this brand have done, cut out the factory installed filter and installed the generic Home Depot whole home filter. Also, some with the style filter I have experiance the filter spinning off with pressure, I have experienced this and most have also chosen to swap out the setup with a generic brand because of this.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:50 AM   #22

We do use the campground water. We have the whole trailer water filter and I have installed, at the kitchen sink, a drinking water filter systems. We never had any issues.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:31 AM   #23

Send a message via AIM to B and B
The key to the internal filter is using the wrench to tighten it. If this is done it doesn't loosen, that is right from the manufacturer. I spent some time talking to him last summer at Goshen.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:47 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
The key to the internal filter is using the wrench to tighten it. If this is done it doesn't loosen, that is right from the manufacturer. I spent some time talking to him last summer at Goshen.
I never talked with the manufacturer but it does state that in the manual. I may be doing it wrong, I had tightened it to the point I snapped the plastic wrench that came with it. The dealer replaced the housing as they experienced the twist off as well, I only removed it this time when I winterised the camper. Will need a new filter in the spring and based on the cost will decide my next step.

When it first happened I received a new wrench from the dealer and had actually used it to keep the filter on until I could bring the camper back. I tightened the filter then placed the wrench on it so that it was tight against the wall. When I turned the water the filter did start to turn off but the wrench tight against the wall would not let it. Held fine for two weeks before I brought it back.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:50 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
This is true! However, the reason the canisters fail is because many do not understand that the o-rings must be replaced regularly, especially when heavily treated water is run through the system. The o-rings become less compressible with age and also shrink. The natural result is they get cranked down tighter so they don't loosen and seal. Doing this, especially with the mechanical advantage afforded by the wrench, and you are absolutely going to end up with a canister broken at the neck below the threads! I changed my cartridges 2-3 times a season as needed, and a new o-ring was installed every other season. A pliable seal requires little torque to seat the canister leak-free and so that it stays put.

geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:00 AM   #26

I agree with drinking the water. Our CG water is completely fine to drink. After all most of us drank out of hose when we were kids and we are doing fine today. Our TT wasn't but a few weeks old when the canister backed out and flooded. After that I would not trust it for good reasons. I use the in line filter with no pressure loss. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...r-filter/18478
I see a lot of folks using this in line filter with the stand out side. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...r-filter/56670
I would rather filter out the sediment before it settles in the system. I understand the filtration system works for most folks but it's just a matter of time before it fails.
The small tabs inside the filter housing after winterizing several times wore down and would not hold the canister any longer. They are cheap housings. Getting the filter out when winterizing was yet another issue. We camper during the winter and had to winterize when we left. Spilling water everywhere. That too was not fun. They didn't exactly place ours in a wonderful place.
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:13 PM   #27

We are considering changing out the existing water filter in our TT with a Dupont Valve in Head Whole House Filter. The carts are less expensive and with the in head valve we can select to have the water pass through the filter, or bypass the filter altogether (great for winterizing) or turn off the water all together. With the in head valve I think it will also be easier to change the filter by bypassing the filter. Any comments?
Gary Hadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:27 PM   #28

Sounds like a great filter however will it slow down your water flow like most home filters?
Old 03-12-2015, 02:54 PM   #29

The filter says 5.0 GPM flow which I thinks is faster then the KW1. I hope so.
Gary Hadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:32 PM   #30

Mfr instructions also says to grease the o ring with silicone grease (food grade of course). I wonder how many don't do this or tighten the canister until they feel the detent click.
danking49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:24 PM   #31

Ours was a brand new camper and the filter failed. I cut it out, bypassed it and use an outside filter that I replace every year. Simple and no worries of greasing the o ring or tightening anything. In line water filter OUTSIDE the camper.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:30 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hadden View Post
The filter says 5.0 GPM flow which I thinks is faster then the KW1. I hope so.
I believe the KW-1 is rated at 2.5 gpm.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water filter