Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
want a Cat 293REX

Question do we need LEDs for our new 21FBRS?

Have read alot of posts that recommend changing the lights in our brand new 21FBRS. Which LEDs do you recommend? is this a difficult project ? Where would you suggest to purchase?

Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated for these newbies!
boatless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
Site Team

it only makes sense if you plan on dry camping a lot or go boondocking.

if you always have electric hookups, then it's a waste of money unless you really want to get the latest thing for RV's.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:10 AM   #3

We replaced about half our lights with LED in our previous TT putting them in the fixtures that we use most at night. I do not know what kind of fixtures yours has but ours had the standard 1156 bulbs, Replacements can be found at auto parts stores but a generally cheaper on the web. Ours cost about $5 or 6 each.

As stated, you don't really need them if you are mostly on shore power but after boon docking over a Labor Day weekend and running out of power, they became a priority. We like the blueish tint that they produce.

We wll be evaluating how maany we need for the new MH. Enjoy your new rig.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #4

Actually, LED's make a lot of sense for all of campers. When using the standard bulbs in my Puma 30DBSS, I pulled around 10A when firing up all of the lights. With LED's I only pull 2A or so with the same number of lights. This frees up enough amperage to run another appliance. We threw the 30A main breaker several times before LED's- but I don't think we have once since installing the LED's. I purchased mine in bulk off of Ebay for around $1.80 each in lots of 10. Be sure to get warm white unless you like everything to have a blue tint. I also found that I liked the light from the ones that had more of the smaller LED as opposed to fewer of the larger LED. Here is the description from my old Ebay purchase: 10pcs T10 921 194 SMD bulb 25-1210 LED Bulbs Lights,Warm White
dustman_stx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
Always Learning

Thanks Dustman, lots of good info. We're you able to find plug and play replacements? Many times I see LED replacements, solder is involved and they lose me there!

Good tip about the warm white, I definitely DISlike the blue coloring of what I think of when thinking of LED lighting.

Are the LEDs really as bright as our regular bulbs? I'm a freak for bright light? Will I see a difference when going to LEDs?
Old 01-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Here is the description from my old Ebay purchase: 10pcs T10 921 194 SMD bulb 25-1210 LED Bulbs Lights,Warm White
How is the brightness compared to the incandescentbulbs they replaced?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Are the LEDs really as bright as our regular bulbs? I'm a freak for bright light? Will I see a difference when going to LEDs?
I have tested different LED's and most either had the blue tint or were substantially less bright. I ended up with the Revolution 921-250. These are 250 lumen and are just as bright as my incandescent and they are 3200 kelvin. Incandescent bulbs are 3000 kelvin so they are really close in the color spectrum. These just plug in so no modifications needed.

They are way more expensive, like about $25 a piece. The cheapest I could find them were through ledlights4rvs.com. They have a flat $4 shipping. I have saved my incandescent bulbs. The LED's are coming with me when I upgrade my current TT.
Gregg Willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #8

I bought some cheap LED bulbs on ebay, and they turned out to be real garbage. Next, I tried RVLEDBulbs.com - RV LED Bulbs, RV LED Lights and Light Accessories. They are more expensive, but after trying a lot of 10, I ordered 10 more. If you buy there, enter the code FORUM for a 10% discount.

The list the light output (in Lumens) for all of their bulbs. They also have a chart that lists the light output of most types of incandescent bulbs so you can do a comparison.

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #9

The ones I listed above are not as bright as standard bulbs. I actually have a few of the old bulbs back in because the wife wanted more light over the table. I wasn't willing to pay $25 for a bulb- but wanted the energy savings. All in all I have been happy with them, but if you want the same amount of light you are getting from the standard bulbs, the ones I bought won't cut it. They are a direct replacement for anything with a T10 base which is pretty standard for most of the RV lights to my knowledge.
dustman_stx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
Graduate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Horned Owl View Post
I bought some cheap LED bulbs on ebay, and they turned out to be real garbage. Next, I tried RVLEDBulbs.com - RV LED Bulbs, RV LED Lights and Light Accessories. They are more expensive, but after trying a lot of 10, I ordered 10 more. If you buy there, enter the code FORUM for a 10% discount.

The list the light output (in Lumens) for all of their bulbs. They also have a chart that lists the light output of most types of incandescent bulbs so you can do a comparison.

Joel
thanks for the link - we're in the 'still shopping' phase, but we'll start changing them out this spring
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #11
daydreaming about camping

I replaced several of ours with the LED panels on ebay first suggested by Herk. I am really pleased. They are soft-white which makes them just a bit whiter than the original incandescent bulbs. once the clear plastic fixtures are back in place, it hard to tell which lights are LED. The light output is greater than the original bulbs.

I also went with some smaller ones where I actually wanted less light, for example above the bed.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #12

Thumbs up "Ambiance" in the TT

Our 21FBRS has at least a six fixtures and the standard bulbs are a bit too bright, so replaced half, leaving the bathroom, over dining table and the bed with the regular bulbs. The trailer has separate lamps over the sofa and bed for reading.

We camped for a few weeks last year and agree the LEDs work great when just relaxing or watching the TV inside. My wife calls it "ambiance". Of course we use the regular lights as needed.

We rough it at least once per year, so the lcds help. Planning to add a second battery in the spring.

I purchased the LED bulbs from a dealer recommended from FRF. Try a search. The TT is closed-up and covered for our winter, so not able to get the paperwork. The bulbs were $5 ea. and easy to install.

Also, you may consider purchasing and installing plastic splash guards and a larger shower curtain for the shower. Lowes had the large size guards. The only fault we found with the design is the shower. We regret not purchasing a larger TT with a full bath.
HorseyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #13
want a Cat 293REX

Great suggestions everyone, thanks so much!

love this forum!
boatless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #14
Graduate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatless View Post
Great suggestions everyone, thanks so much!

love this forum!
X2
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #15

This place has LED's also. They are not cheap but we have had good luck with them. I also purchased LED strips from them to light up the cabinets in the kitchen area.

LED Lights, Bulbs & Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS
Old 01-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #16

Super Bright LEDs are a good company. Many guys on vehicle specific forums rave about the product and service. I have LED's in my Land Cruiser because they were fairly inexpensive and I was always wanting more light in the interior and in reverse light form. I also got 5w Cree reverse lights for both my Land Cruiser and for my 08 Tundra and it makes a world of difference backing up! If I were to do it again, I would!
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #17

Talking

[QUOTE=Grizzlygibbs;292437]Super Bright LEDs are a good company. Many guys on vehicle specific forums rave about the product and service./QUOTE]

Yes, bought from Super Bright LEDs. Great price, fast service, very good product. Check the bulb type to get the correct replacement. Rave . . . rave. OK, that's it, I'm done.
HorseyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #18

Super Bright LED's.com

I agree with everyone, I have ordered from Superbright LED's for several years. They have a great selection and have very reasonable prices.

I outfitted my F-250 entire interior with LED's a year or so before many other companies offered kits for trucks by going to Superbright LED's. The only lights on my truck now that are not LED's are the main headlamps and driving lights. They are much more efficent and better than ever now.

In my opinion you can't go wrong.

Regards

BK
Old 03-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #19

Are you sure you don't already have LED's. I have a new Micro Lite 21FB and it has all LED lights
SuwanneeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:42 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuwanneeDave View Post
Are you sure you don't already have LED's. I have a new Micro Lite 21FB and it has all LED lights
I think your right I gust bought a 21fbrs and i'm sure all the LED'S
Mission, TX
2013-100..2014-180..2015-175..0
genecusano is offline   Reply With Quote