Old 10-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #11
Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
if that "why?" was for me, uh, it's because that's the way I prefer it

(what's an "attachment question" ?.....Bill
No, that question wasn't necessarily for you. This subject has been around the block before. Sorry to cause a stir. I just don't leave it on mainly because I don't need it on and I guess past stories from long ago written on a cave wall, etc...

Attachment= next question

Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #12
Love My Sunseeker
I do not. I turn off and try not to open. Stuff will stay cold.

However, the dealer I bought my first RV from said, "if someone hits your propane tank, you are just as dead whether the propane is on or off......"

Now if you travel on a ferry (such as the many on Puget Sound in Washington State), you are REQUIRED to ensure your propane tank is OFF!

JJ only, my cat went to Rainbow Bridge July 2015

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:14 AM   #13
All the time !
2013 Berkshire 390BH / 360hp
EJM4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:01 AM   #14
There has to be more to the story. Modern propane tanks have valves that shut off when they detect high flow of gas. Two years ago we were in a crash with our TT. Trailer rolled over. Front end totally destroyed. Tanks (and refrig) were on. When they were found in the wreckage, the tanks had shut themselves off and still had propane in them even though they were completely disconnected and valves open.

I still travel with fridge on.
2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
RvBill3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:29 AM   #15
"Officials believe the fire was caused by a leaky propane tank connected to the camper’s refrigerator." Last line of the story.

2008 Toy Tundra DC 5.7L Bagged w/LTs
Hensley Arrow
2012 Windjammer 3001W, Atriumed
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #16
Wanna Be Camper
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
We’ve always traveled with the fridge on. Why would traveling with the fridge on be any more dangerous than having the fridge on when you’re camping?

Do you leave your fridge on when you go to bed at night? Do you leave the water heater on when you go to bed? Do you have your furnace on when you go to bed? If there’s going to be a fire I’d rather have it happen on the road rather than a campground. Things happen, that’s why I have insurance.

Agree 100% and we always travel with the fridge on.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2013: 16 2014: 5 2015: 3
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #17
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
The day before we travel I turn the fridge to the coldest setting. We travel no more than 8-10 hours and everything inside is fine when we arrive(if we don't open the door). I bleed the gas line off before traveling, so I lower the risk for disaster down the road.

Having something ice cold is just not worth the risk.
I agree. We seldom log more than 8 hours on the road, but even in the July heat, we found that the 8 cu/ft Dometic was still very cold and the frozen food was rock-hard at destination.
For years, in many jurisdictions (most of Canada and many States) it was illegal to travel with the propane vales open. It is still illegal to board many ferries with the tank valves open.
Fueling up with gasoline with a propane appliance in operation is dangerous and not recommended.
To each his own, I guess. Fortunately, we all have choices about how we choose to manage risk!
Jim & Kathy

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 18,950 Nights camped 192
J_KHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #18
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
No I don't, not worth the risk in my opinion. I use the 12V setting on 3 way fridge for travelling. Travel and road surface issues can cause issues of fractures to gas supply pipes and joints which could result in a gas leak.
goody59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #19
I have always kept it on the only time I ever give it any thought is when I pull up to a gas pump I make sure that part of the trailer is not near the other pumps. When I'm behind another trailer I am more concerned about the thing swaying than whether his fridge is on.
"Well that didn't go as expected"
2015 Chev 2500HD Highcountry Duramax
Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #20
I do leave it on.

TV: 2012 Silverado 3500HD DRW Duramax/Allison
FW: 2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ
fschambe is offline   Reply With Quote