Old 10-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #21
Yep, sure do, bleed the gas lines before leaving though! We travel around 3-4 hours, and stop on the way and check around the camper to make sure nothing weird is happening, so I like cold refrigerator, got to have it cold for groceries to enter when we get to!

tkephart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #22
Like I have said before. My trailer came with at least 20 "WARNING" labels asttached. Not one about running propane while driving. If it catches fire (highly unlikely) so be it. I have insurance. The majority of these refrigerators barely keep stuff cold when running, why would I shut it off? I worry about getting sick from warm food more than a fire...That's just me............

bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #23
Ain't that the truth Bob, I need cold refrigerator, in fact I turn it on the day before we leave while connected to the house and then change over to gas before leaving, that way I know it is cold when I get where I am!
tkephart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #24
We do the same tkephart1 and we put the food in cold. On the hot summer days, we keep water and soda in a cooler filled with ice because that even colder. I wouldn't want to travel without it.
Happily Camping in Michigan!
Previous Camper: 2010 Outback
Nights Camped in 2012: 24

Current Camper: 2013 Sabre 32-RCTS-6
Nights Camped in 2012: 11

Nights Camped in 2013: 21
poppy127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #25
We have been camping since 1987 and never turn gas off. Only time we turn it off is when we are on a fairy. Its nice to keep everything cool.
cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #26
We also travel with the gas on.... required to turn the gas off when traveling thru any tunnels. Never been on a fairy with the trailer.....
dfskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #27
I don't shut the refrigerator off, but I may change that practice in the future. As mentioned in an earlier post, I too start the refrigerator the day before on house power, then switch over to gas in the morning I'm leaving to ensure it works. I also put in cold food, even ice cubes made in the house frige. In thinking things over, I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to shut it off before starting out on a camping trip. Most of my camping trips are under 2 hours away, so I don't believe things would warm up too much in that amount of time. I do like an ice cold one once I get to the campground however... I do think though it would be safer to shut off the gas due to the twisting and flexing of the unit while on the road.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #28
It has never been a problem to run during the day without the gas on. Eight hours of travel time is about max for us and fridge has never lost enough temperature to be an issue.
Rick and Linda, Lindale, TX
2011 Flagstaff 8528 CKSS
2006 F350 SW
Camping nights 2013: 130
Camping nights 2014: 17
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #29
Mod free 5er
I turn ours on at least a week before we plan on leaving and never turn it off until we get back home. It has been on since July and will not be turned off until sometime in Mar. Water heater was turned on yesterday and will also be left on altho the water pump is off. If we stop for a snack on the road and use water, we turn the pump on and then just before leaving, we turn the pump off. Been doing it like that for years with no problems.
OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #30
Like tkephart1 and others, I turn mine on the night before we travel with house electricity. Then switch over to propane and leave it on for the duration of the trip.

2013 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2006 Dodge Durango Hemi 5.7
Equal-i-zer WDH
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote