Old 11-25-2012, 12:36 AM   #31

You know it's really to bad that we have to live with the results of having to many lawyers with nothing to do. I wonder just how much it cost the consumer for McDonald's to warn us that the coffee is hot???? I thought that was pretty obvious already. Can anybody actually find an article concerning a camper that had a fire as as result of the fridge being on??? I'm not talking about a defective fridge part either because that has happened. If you can I'd like to read it. There may or may not have been a problem but the lawyers got involved and now we have to ask the question. We've had MH's or TT's for 30 years and always left the fridge on while traveling.
JMTCW TeJay

Old 11-25-2012, 01:43 AM   #32

Like most others, I turn fridge on at least one day ahead and leave on while traveling down the road. I do however turn off fridge when I get gas for my TV. Would hate to have the spark from the fridge ignitor light off some fumes. Pull through the fuel island and then turn the fridge back on.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #33

went thru the posts and found :

20 leave it on
6 don't
1 used to but thinking otherwise now
1 didn't say, just a comment.....Bill
Old 11-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #34
Oklahoma Proud

I thought that the propane was to keep the fridge working when towing. But we dont boondock, didnt know anybody did w/o a generator untill i started reading this forum. We leave the fridge on all summer, other than defrost and cleanout after a trip. We also leave our outside kitchen fridge on always(except towing, its electric only) untill winterization.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #35

Perhaps the RVIA should require an automatic shut off valve connected to a gas detector hmmm?
http://www.safehomeproducts.com/shp2...1846/1846.aspx
Old 11-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #36
Graduate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
You know it's really to bad that we have to live with the results of having to many lawyers with nothing to do. I wonder just how much it cost the consumer for McDonald's to warn us that the coffee is hot???? I thought that was pretty obvious already.
JMTCW TeJay
Actually, the reason that case was a case is because McD's was SUPERHEATING their coffee. Normal coffee is served about 140 degrees. McD's served their's closer to 200. She had third degree burns - something one normally wouldn't expect from spilled coffee. And further, the jury award was based on JUST the profits from 1-2 DAYS of coffee sales for McD's. McD's could have avoided the whole thing by just plainly stating on their cups - hey, this is much hotter than normal coffee, so heads up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck...7s_Restaurants

Anywho, we run our fridge off the battery when traveling, as the battery is recharged by the engine. Took us 6 trips to discover that though, thanks again to our dealer's thorough walk-thru.
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #37

Back in the day it was superheated and thats the main reason it tasted like swill. The new (McCafe) stuff should be at a lower temp since it is fresh brewed.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wneise View Post
Back in the day it was superheated and thats the main reason it tasted like swill. The new (McCafe) stuff should be at a lower temp since it is fresh brewed.
I have my keurig set to brew at 192 which is the max and it still cools down quicker than current day McD coffee
Old 12-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #39

Next thing you know the government will get involved and require a sensor in the system to prevent use while unit is in motion.
1SG(Ret) (1987) US Army Aviation

Days/Nights Camped 2016: 34
dogwood36322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fschambe View Post
I have my keurig set to brew at 192 which is the max and it still cools down quicker than current day McD coffee
My Keurig at home is also set to 193.

That works OK for at home, but if I am making a cup to take with me I pre-heat my travel mug by filling it with hot tap water for about 5 minutes. That helps. But if it still cools down then I can plug my travel mug into 12 volt power and warm it up.

ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote